• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ESTP] How to know someone ISTP vs. ESTP ?

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
See bolded

You're bolding me, instead of quoting me, out of context. But it's still out of context.

Anecdote, "a short and amusing or interesting story about a real incident or person." Anecdotes about the past are short and amusing or interesting stories about a past incident or person.

I'm not into this argument for the sake of argument, which is where your nitpicking is going. ISTPs will use the example of a black swan to "prove" that swans are not, by definition, white.

Moving on...

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
You're bolding me, instead of quoting me, out of context. But it's still out of context.

Anecdote, "a short and amusing or interesting story about a real incident or person." Anecdotes about the past are short and amusing or interesting stories about a past incident or person.

I'm not into this argument for the sake of argument, which is where your nitpicking is going. ISTPs will use the example of a black swan to "prove" that swans are not, by definition, white.

Moving on...

:shrug: Yes, tell me all swans are white and I will argue that they are not. I am making a statement about me, you can argue context if you want. I assumed that being an ISTP I had the option for input as to represent an ISTP, forgot that "theory" is INTP realm, god forbid compare it to an actual ISTP.

Back to ISTP vs ESTP, who likes bacon more?

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yes, and that's how people would say I am as well. Logic plays a part, but I am not stuck in some this logical path is how things are. Its more of a fuzzy logic, not some concrete logic. Logic flows down multiple paths they combine, they split, they detour to come back to just past where it was. Its not really straight forward, cut and dry.

Exactly. Logical analysis sometimes hinders expediency. It's not as though it's not an "automatic" in my brain (I dont have to think about what is logical) it just sort of factors in - rather than dominates my decision making.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
:shrug: Yes, tell me all swans are white and I will argue that they are not. I am making a statement about me, you can argue context if you want. I assumed that being an ISTP I had the option for input as to represent an ISTP, forgot that "theory" is INTP realm, god forbid compare it to an actual ISTP.

I have no problem with an "actual ISTP," and I am always comparing theory to reality. But thanks to you I've made a new discovery: ISTPs will say "that's not like me." I've seen two different ISTPs say the same thing, so there might be a trend toward a new type characteristic of ISTPs in general.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I have no problem with an "actual ISTP," and I am always comparing theory to reality. But thanks to you I've made a new discovery: ISTPs will say "that's not like me." I've seen two different ISTPs say the same thing, so there might be a trend toward a new type characteristic of ISTPs in general.

LMAO

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think typing people is easier when their inferior can be recognized, so it really comes down to Ti-Fe vs Se-Ni

Splash Shin

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
7w8
My go to way is on Ni usage.

An ISTP is much, much more likely to act on their Ni tells them, as well as get these moments in the first place. An ISTP will trust their Ni a lot more readily, as well as express what their Ni has told them to others.

ESTPs are not this way unless they have great inferior function development. They may get Ni moments, but they do not trust them and rarely act on them, as they want more solid information first.

Dannik

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
I see a lot of talk about logic with ISTP's. I think this is partially right. I don't know if I'm different from the norm of ISTPs but logic isn't at the forefront of my thinking. "What makes the most sense here?" is a better idea of how my brain works. I'm MUCH more concerned with reasonableness than logic for its own sake. Just because something is logical doesn't mean it's accurate or the best choice to get the results/solutions I want.

Yes, I think that everything needs context to be meaningful.
What is best for right now?
I find that RIGHT HERE RIGHT NOW takes precedence.

For me Logic is a very comforting base which i build ideas upon.
a useful foundation for thought, and a font of possibility.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

An ISTP is much, much more likely to act on their Ni tells them, as well as get these moments in the first place. An ISTP will trust their Ni a lot more readily, as well as express what their Ni has told them to others.

ESTPs are not this way unless they have great inferior function development. They may get Ni moments, but they do not trust them and rarely act on them, as they want more solid information first.

ESTPs use an external framework that they have learned and accepted to live instead of their own developed internal framework that they have created. They are more likely to follow the social rules put in place then to create their own rules.

TreeBob

MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

You can't actually see Ni working, more over neither an ESTP or ISTP would really know they were using it.

ISTP for sure, you guys are obsessed.

ESTPs use an external framework that they have learned and accepted to live instead of their own developed internal framework that they have created. They are more likely to follow the social rules put in place then to create their own rules.

I can buy that.

I should note that I am an ESTP and I am married to an ISTP. I don't think there is any way you could ever mix the two types up if they are in front of you. ISTP are so much more subdued in their everyday life. When I am piecing something together in my head I might talk out loud and it really pisses my wife off. She thinks I am highly illogical, but in reality she is usually in the wrong! :p

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You can't actually see Ni working, more over neither an ESTP or ISTP would really know they were using it.

Yes. When ISTPs get a "gut feeling" about something which they can't be explained in their usual Ti way of explaining shit, they're probably using Ni.

TreeBob

MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yes. When ISTPs get a "gut feeling" about something which they can't be explained in their usual Ti way of explaining shit, they're probably using Ni.

I don't think you are looking at this in the correct way. This thread is how to know someone is an ISTP or ESTP.

If you and I get a gut feeling then sure one could say that is Ni (Although every type has the ability to get a gut feeling and not all types use Ni), but both ISTP and ESTP get a gut feeling, so how does that help me or you determine who is which type? For that matter, as a person looking from the outside at a person, how does he know that person is using Ni as a third or fourth function? You can't. Ni has nothing to do with typing a sensor.

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Just the major differences you'd be able to tell right off the bat (though I realize it's wise to take everything into context). Are ISTP's just quieter (the one I knew was fairly quiet). How would I know ?

Yes, quieter. More focused. ISTP's are intense in a quiet way. Observing. Less random than ESTP's.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I should note that I am an ESTP and I am married to an ISTP. I don't think there is any way you could ever mix the two types up if they are in front of you. ISTP are so much more subdued in their everyday life. When I am piecing something together in my head I might talk out loud and it really pisses my wife off. She thinks I am highly illogical, but in reality she is usually in the wrong! :p

LOL @ bolded. We are much more subdued in everyday life, I know several ESTPs, both men and women. I could never be confused as an ESTP in life, but thats do to extroveted, other then extroverted we have a tremendous amount in common otherwise. ESTP is the type I have usually grabbed in the past to go biking, kayaking, rock climbing, or anything like that.

Splash Shin

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
7w8

I guess that is true. From observing my very close ESTP friend, I guess i made the mistake of him not trusting or fully understanding what my Ni had just told me, as he cant see it.
I'm still unsure of what you mean by not really knowing if they were using it. sometimes i think i know when my Ni just kicked in a conscious way. Perhaps learning typology has made me more self aware.
I'm pretty heavy on the Ni usage.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I guess that is true. From observing my very close ESTP friend, I guess i made the mistake of him not trusting or fully understanding what my Ni had just told me, as he cant see it.
I'm still unsure of what you mean by not really knowing if they were using it. sometimes i think i know when my Ni just kicked in a conscious way. Perhaps learning typology has made me more self aware.
I'm pretty heavy on the Ni usage.

Yeah, most people have to learn me before they trust my Ni. Most do end up trusting me though.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't think you are looking at this in the correct way. This thread is how to know someone is an ISTP or ESTP.

If you and I get a gut feeling then sure one could say that is Ni (Although every type has the ability to get a gut feeling and not all types use Ni), but both ISTP and ESTP get a gut feeling, so how does that help me or you determine who is which type? For that matter, as a person looking from the outside at a person, how does he know that person is using Ni as a third or fourth function? You can't. Ni has nothing to do with typing a sensor.

I wasn't trying to insinuate that one can tell the difference between ISTPs and ESTPs based on Ni usage.

TreeBob

MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I wasn't trying to insinuate that one can tell the difference between ISTPs and ESTPs based on Ni usage.

Sorry, I took your "yes" reply meaning the other way.

BlackDog

MBTI Type
NiTe
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
ESTPs are always big people. ISTPs are usually not.

ESTPs are aggressive, unless life has beaten them down, and even then they either become apathetic and unhealthy or turn unstable and dangerous. They need to dominate their surroundings and other people. I don't think they'd say this if you asked; it's just what they do.

ISTPs are logical and thorough in their pursuits, although their wisdom at selecting pursuits is frequently questionable. These are the people who know everything there is to know about motorcycles, IMO. They like having fun, just like ESTPs, and they also might drift through life, also like some ESTPs. If they do have a goal, they'll work hard for it, but they don't look as visibly intimidating and "Move out of this train's way" like ESTPs on the way up.

ESTPs don't usually look smart, even if they are. They don't seem high class or educated or polished or academic no matter how high they climb. I find that strange because when they are focused they are just about the most effective type, but it is what it is. Perhaps it's because their interest in knowledge tends to be either 'this is a hobby' or 'I can use this'. They don't take ideas in themselves seriously. They're too reality-based.

ISTPs can look smart or not depending on what they are doing in life. If they are an engineer, they're going to know about engineering and look 'smart'. If they are a firefighter, they're going to become obsessed with motorcycles and look like your average guy.

Neither type is motivated by academics for its own sake, but the ESTP is most maladapted for academia and is likely to be persecuted by teachers for standing out and being an individual instead of an automaton. Neither type likes to be controlled, but this is written on the ESTP's face whereas the ISTP is more low key.

Many ESTPs, if they are in the mood, can be really funny and 'the life of the party'. Very jolly, like Santa Claus. ISTPs can't be Santa Claus.

These types are radically different. The orientation towards adventure and action is about the only similarity. One is mild, the other is fierce. One is a technician, the other is a warrior. Both could be pioneers, soldiers, and so on, but one is a "Viking" and the other is not.