User Tag List

First 2345 Last

Results 31 to 40 of 43

  1. #31

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TreeBob View Post
    You can't actually see Ni working, more over neither an ESTP or ISTP would really know they were using it.
    Yes. When ISTPs get a "gut feeling" about something which they can't be explained in their usual Ti way of explaining shit, they're probably using Ni.
    Masculine presenting transgender lesbian


    At heart, I’ll always be a bleeding heart liberal.

  2. #32
    Senior Member TreeBob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/sp
    Posts
    303

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Starcrash View Post
    Yes. When ISTPs get a "gut feeling" about something which they can't be explained in their usual Ti way of explaining shit, they're probably using Ni.
    I don't think you are looking at this in the correct way. This thread is how to know someone is an ISTP or ESTP.

    If you and I get a gut feeling then sure one could say that is Ni (Although every type has the ability to get a gut feeling and not all types use Ni), but both ISTP and ESTP get a gut feeling, so how does that help me or you determine who is which type? For that matter, as a person looking from the outside at a person, how does he know that person is using Ni as a third or fourth function? You can't. Ni has nothing to do with typing a sensor.
    Don't like my modera... Oh wait, wrong forum. Carry on.

    ESTP, 8w7 sx/sp

  3. #33
    Senior Member alcea rosea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ????
    Posts
    3,665

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NK258 View Post
    Just the major differences you'd be able to tell right off the bat (though I realize it's wise to take everything into context). Are ISTP's just quieter (the one I knew was fairly quiet). How would I know ?
    Yes, quieter. More focused. ISTP's are intense in a quiet way. Observing. Less random than ESTP's.
    Likes Overman liked this post

  4. #34
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    STP
    Posts
    10,500

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TreeBob View Post
    I should note that I am an ESTP and I am married to an ISTP. I don't think there is any way you could ever mix the two types up if they are in front of you. ISTP are so much more subdued in their everyday life. When I am piecing something together in my head I might talk out loud and it really pisses my wife off. She thinks I am highly illogical, but in reality she is usually in the wrong! :P
    LOL @ bolded. We are much more subdued in everyday life, I know several ESTPs, both men and women. I could never be confused as an ESTP in life, but thats do to extroveted, other then extroverted we have a tremendous amount in common otherwise. ESTP is the type I have usually grabbed in the past to go biking, kayaking, rock climbing, or anything like that.
    Im out, its been fun
    Likes TreeBob liked this post

  5. #35
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Posts
    15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TreeBob View Post
    You can't actually see Ni working, more over neither an ESTP or ISTP would really know they were using it.
    I guess that is true. From observing my very close ESTP friend, I guess i made the mistake of him not trusting or fully understanding what my Ni had just told me, as he cant see it.
    I'm still unsure of what you mean by not really knowing if they were using it. sometimes i think i know when my Ni just kicked in a conscious way. Perhaps learning typology has made me more self aware.
    I'm pretty heavy on the Ni usage.

  6. #36
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    STP
    Posts
    10,500

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Splash Shin View Post
    I guess that is true. From observing my very close ESTP friend, I guess i made the mistake of him not trusting or fully understanding what my Ni had just told me, as he cant see it.
    I'm still unsure of what you mean by not really knowing if they were using it. sometimes i think i know when my Ni just kicked in a conscious way. Perhaps learning typology has made me more self aware.
    I'm pretty heavy on the Ni usage.
    Yeah, most people have to learn me before they trust my Ni. Most do end up trusting me though.
    Im out, its been fun

  7. #37

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TreeBob View Post
    I don't think you are looking at this in the correct way. This thread is how to know someone is an ISTP or ESTP.

    If you and I get a gut feeling then sure one could say that is Ni (Although every type has the ability to get a gut feeling and not all types use Ni), but both ISTP and ESTP get a gut feeling, so how does that help me or you determine who is which type? For that matter, as a person looking from the outside at a person, how does he know that person is using Ni as a third or fourth function? You can't. Ni has nothing to do with typing a sensor.
    I wasn't trying to insinuate that one can tell the difference between ISTPs and ESTPs based on Ni usage.
    Masculine presenting transgender lesbian


    At heart, I’ll always be a bleeding heart liberal.

  8. #38
    Senior Member TreeBob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/sp
    Posts
    303

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Starcrash View Post
    I wasn't trying to insinuate that one can tell the difference between ISTPs and ESTPs based on Ni usage.
    Sorry, I took your "yes" reply meaning the other way.
    Don't like my modera... Oh wait, wrong forum. Carry on.

    ESTP, 8w7 sx/sp

  9. #39

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TreeBob View Post
    Sorry, I took your "yes" reply meaning the other way.
    no worries
    Masculine presenting transgender lesbian


    At heart, I’ll always be a bleeding heart liberal.

  10. #40
    Senior Member BlackDog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    MBTI
    NiTe
    Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx
    Posts
    572

    Default

    ESTPs are always big people. ISTPs are usually not.

    ESTPs are aggressive, unless life has beaten them down, and even then they either become apathetic and unhealthy or turn unstable and dangerous. They need to dominate their surroundings and other people. I don't think they'd say this if you asked; it's just what they do.

    ISTPs are logical and thorough in their pursuits, although their wisdom at selecting pursuits is frequently questionable. These are the people who know everything there is to know about motorcycles, IMO. They like having fun, just like ESTPs, and they also might drift through life, also like some ESTPs. If they do have a goal, they'll work hard for it, but they don't look as visibly intimidating and "Move out of this train's way" like ESTPs on the way up.

    ESTPs don't usually look smart, even if they are. They don't seem high class or educated or polished or academic no matter how high they climb. I find that strange because when they are focused they are just about the most effective type, but it is what it is. Perhaps it's because their interest in knowledge tends to be either 'this is a hobby' or 'I can use this'. They don't take ideas in themselves seriously. They're too reality-based.

    ISTPs can look smart or not depending on what they are doing in life. If they are an engineer, they're going to know about engineering and look 'smart'. If they are a firefighter, they're going to become obsessed with motorcycles and look like your average guy.

    Neither type is motivated by academics for its own sake, but the ESTP is most maladapted for academia and is likely to be persecuted by teachers for standing out and being an individual instead of an automaton. Neither type likes to be controlled, but this is written on the ESTP's face whereas the ISTP is more low key.

    Many ESTPs, if they are in the mood, can be really funny and 'the life of the party'. Very jolly, like Santa Claus. ISTPs can't be Santa Claus.

    These types are radically different. The orientation towards adventure and action is about the only similarity. One is mild, the other is fierce. One is a technician, the other is a warrior. Both could be pioneers, soldiers, and so on, but one is a "Viking" and the other is not.

Similar Threads

  1. [NT] how do you get to know someone?
    By think2much in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 11-06-2011, 12:45 PM
  2. [ISTP] How to take an ISTP and figure out every aspect of how they function - PERFECTLY
    By Bamboo in forum The SP Arthouse (ESFP, ISFP, ESTP, ISTP)
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 11-24-2009, 02:34 PM
  3. [ISTP] How to keep an ISTP
    By Poki in forum The SP Arthouse (ESFP, ISFP, ESTP, ISTP)
    Replies: 98
    Last Post: 11-24-2009, 02:22 PM
  4. How to know if a ENFP 4 likes you?
    By KiwiBurst in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-15-2009, 06:17 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO