• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISTP] What is it about ISTPs and guns?

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
So it seems like every other post in the ISTP Facebook group is someone showing off their guns or asking which type they should buy or etc. Way to live up to MBTI stereotypes, guys. Ha. But seriously, why does this type seem to love guns more than any other type?

Personal example: I've always been a fairly passive person, although I wouldn't go so far to call myself a pacifist, but "live and let live" could be one of my mottos, if I were lame enough to have personal mottos and slogans. That said, I have always had a strong fascination with guns, even though I regard them as deadly tools that probably shouldn't be allowed in the hands of certain mentally challenged people (zimmerman, you piece of shit). When I was a kid, my father had a collection of really nice books with detailed drawings of soldiers and weapons from various cultures, wars, eras, etc, and I would sit and pore over them for hours. Recently my grandfather passed away and left me a small stash of guns, which excited me to no end. The idea of owning my own guns and being able to go target shooting or hunting thrilled me. I've also got a natural knack for target shooting--as a boyscout, archery was the one area I really excelled in and loved. I'm a guy who wouldn't hurt a fly (unless it really pissed me off). I'm probably left of center, politically speaking, but I am very much in favor of preserving the second amendment and gun rights. I recognize that they aren't toys, but rather dangerous tools and should be respected as such.

So aside from the obvious stereotypical answer that ISTPs are mechanics who love tools and make great weapons masters, why the hell do people of this type seem to love their guns so much?

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
So it seems like every other post in the ISTP Facebook group is someone showing off their guns or asking which type they should buy or etc. Way to live up to MBTI stereotypes, guys. Ha. But seriously, why does this type seem to love guns more than any other type?

Personal example: I've always been a fairly passive person, although I wouldn't go so far to call myself a pacifist, but "live and let live" could be one of my mottos, if I were lame enough to have personal mottos and slogans. That said, I have always had a strong fascination with guns, even though I regard them as deadly tools that probably shouldn't be allowed in the hands of certain mentally challenged people (zimmerman, you piece of shit). When I was a kid, my father had a collection of really nice books with detailed drawings of soldiers and weapons from various cultures, wars, eras, etc, and I would sit and pore over them for hours. Recently my grandfather passed away and left me a small stash of guns, which excited me to no end. The idea of owning my own guns and being able to go target shooting or hunting thrilled me. I've also got a natural knack for target shooting--as a boyscout, archery was the one area I really excelled in and loved. I'm a guy who wouldn't hurt a fly (unless it really pissed me off). I'm probably left of center, politically speaking, but I am very much in favor of preserving the second amendment and gun rights. I recognize that they aren't toys, but rather dangerous tools and should be respected as such.

So aside from the obvious stereotypical answer that ISTPs are mechanics who love tools and make great weapons masters, why the hell do people of this type seem to love their guns so much?

Because guns are fun, and cool. I like em for many of the same reasons I'm interested in cars.

Hitoshi-San

MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
???
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
My neighbor is your stereotypical ISTP and is obsessed with guns, explosions, etc. He's a pyro, I swear. I know another one I can see liking that kind of stuff.

They're cool, they're powerful, and they're a weapon - hey, some people consider ISTPs to be the master of weapons. They have a lot of mechanical pieces that fit together and can be closely looked at and studied, and it's somewhat interesting to know how they work.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My neighbor is your stereotypical ISTP and is obsessed with guns, explosions, etc. He's a pyro, I swear. I know another one I can see liking that kind of stuff.

They're cool, they're powerful, and they're a weapon - hey, some people consider ISTPs to be the master of weapons. They have a lot of mechanical pieces that fit together and can be closely looked at and studied, and it's somewhat interesting to know how they work.

I had a hard time focusing on the words in your post because your avatar amused me so much.

But yeah, I started this thread half-jokingly; I just find it slightly amusing how well so many ISTPs manage to live up to that stereotype, myself included. I'm Mister live and let live liberal, but as soon as gun discussions come up, I'm practically quoting the 2nd amendment and rushing out to join my local militia and screaming about muslim presidents trying to steal my guns.

indra

is
MBTI Type
jedi
Enneagram
Dominion over nature's bounties, it is the ST way.

Dannik

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
What do other ISTPs love about guns?

I am an ISTP,
I dislike guns extremely.
In my experience more guns are shot with intent to murder than not.

Hitoshi-San

MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
???
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I had a hard time focusing on the words in your post because your avatar amused me so much.

But yeah, I started this thread half-jokingly; I just find it slightly amusing how well so many ISTPs manage to live up to that stereotype, myself included. I'm Mister live and let live liberal, but as soon as gun discussions come up, I'm practically quoting the 2nd amendment and rushing out to join my local militia and screaming about muslim presidents trying to steal my guns.

Haha, thanks.

I'm like that too. I don't think guns should be outlawed, they just need to be in the right hands. As in, crazy douches that'll go around shooting up a storm won't get access to the, but I agree with using them for recreation or safety.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Haha, thanks.

I'm like that too. I don't think guns should be outlawed, they just need to be in the right hands. As in, crazy douches that'll go around shooting up a storm won't get access to the, but I agree with using them for recreation or safety.

Part of my attitude comes from being raised in the southern U.S. where there were a lot of gun enthusiasts, but most of them were just "good old boys" who used them for hunting. I remember my grandfather talking shit about people who buy assault rifles. He went on and on about how someone really skilled with guns wouldn't need all that firepower and they should join the military if they wanted to play with those types of guns. This was coming from a hardcore, far right republican too.

I mentioned supporting the 2nd amendment above, but what I neglected to mention is that I interpret it a bit differently than gun nuts. The words "well regulated" found in the 2nd amendment are usually overlooked or glossed over by hardcore gun rights proponents.