• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISTP] You know you or someone else is an ISTP when...

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I thought this would be a fun thread, as I've seen it done for other types. It almost belongs in the fluff zone, so sue me if this is too silly to be in the MBTI section.

I'll start.

You know you're an ISTP when you get excited about things (household objects, cars, your kid's toys, etc.) being broken because it gives you something to fix. Secondly, you probably get annoyed if people suggest throwing the item away (I hate the phrase "we'll just buy a new one") or having it repaired by a professional.

You know you're an ISTP when you carry one of those craftsman or leatherman multi-tools in your pocket at all times. Or, at the very least, a pocket knife.

When you try your DJ friend's turntables and mixing equipment for the first time and sound amazing.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You know you're an ISTP when you remain emotionally calm through major life changes, then suddenly explode or get physically ill. My wife pointed out that I throw up whenever there is a major life change. I never realized this until she pointed it out. It's like emotions manifest themselves in my physical body without me even realizing it.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
You know you're an ISTP when your casual observations about a person make someone cry

You recognize a person is a weirdo very quickly

Eventually tell weirdos that they are weird

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
You know you're an ISTP when your casual observations about a person make someone cry

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

And you didn't intend to be mean, yet everyone is looking at you like you're the meanest scum of the earth, which only leaves you feeling more befuddled and confused, because you were just pointing out the obvious. Must be a weak Fe thing.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You know you're an ISTP when you do the gracefully clumsy cat thing, i.e. when a cat stumbles or fails at a jump to an object yet shrugs it off in a "I meant to do that" kind of manner.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
When you are playing basketball in PE class and one minute you're zoned out thinking about aliens or building legos, yet two minutes later you catch the ball and toss it through the hoop, surprising your teammates who had written you off as a quiet nerd.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
to your boss: "The book of rules I'm supposed to follow? No, I don't know where that is. In fact, I doubt its existence...Glad I could help. Bye."

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Just the other day I openly criticized one of my bosses in front of everyone for creating an inefficient, unsafe work area.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
(true story)

When you go to a friend's housewarming party and the first thing you notice is that one of their curtain rods is hung crooked. You proceed to run out to your truck, grab some tools and hardware, return to the party and fix the curtain rod while other people drink and do, you know, party things.

infinite

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
~8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I thought this would be a fun thread, as I've seen it done for other types. It almost belongs in the fluff zone, so sue me if this is too silly to be in the MBTI section.

Lol it's alright, fun thread and all, but is something wrong with me if I related to almost none of it? :shock: :alttongue:

I never bother to fix things unless I'm forced to. That can be a bit interesting then though (because of yay, challenge heh. And well, gaining a bit of understanding is cool too). I don't carry craftsman tools with me. I do remain calm through life changes but I don't throw up or whatever. If I tell people they are weirdos or other such shit about them, I will be pretty sure that they're going to get offended. Even when they don't actually get offended, I'm surprised to learn that. Btw I usually tell people such things when I'm angry. Hm and I never think about aliens.

:shrug:

I'll add my own ISTP piece though: if you start working out by running regularly and then see that there's a gadget sports watch with heart rate monitor and gps and whatnot, you will instantly do an impulse buy and buy it before even getting a pair of good running shoes.

PS: I'm female so.....that probably plays into the no craftsman thingie

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Lol it's alright, fun thread and all, but is something wrong with me if I related to almost none of it? :shock: :alttongue:

I never bother to fix things unless I'm forced to. That can be a bit interesting then though (because of yay, challenge heh. And well, gaining a bit of understanding is cool too). I don't carry craftsman tools with me. I do remain calm through life changes but I don't throw up or whatever. If I tell people they are weirdos or other such shit about them, I will be pretty sure that they're going to get offended. Even when they don't actually get offended, I'm surprised to learn that. Btw I usually tell people such things when I'm angry. Hm and I never think about aliens.

:shrug:

I'll add my own ISTP piece though: if you start working out by running regularly and then see that there's a gadget sports watch with heart rate monitor and gps and whatnot, you will instantly do an impulse buy and buy it before even getting a pair of good running shoes.

PS: I'm female so.....that probably plays into the no craftsman thingie

No, these are just silly ISTP stereotypes. I wouldn't expect them to apply to every one of that type.

Honestly, there's a lot of shit around my house which needs fixing but I've put off for a long time, but if I'm at work, or someone else's house, I turn into Mr. helpful eager handyman. I do enjoy doing things for my kid, like fixing his broken toys and whatnot, but that's hardly a trait isolated to one type.

I can relate to the sudden impulsive urge to buy cool gadgetry though ;)

infinite

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
~8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
No, these are just silly ISTP stereotypes. I wouldn't expect them to apply to every one of that type.

Honestly, there's a lot of shit around my house which needs fixing but I've put off for a long time, but if I'm at work, or someone else's house, I turn into Mr. helpful eager handyman. I do enjoy doing things for my kid, like fixing his broken toys and whatnot, but that's hardly a trait isolated to one type.

I know an ISTP guy who's just like you with this way of helpfulness :D

I can relate to the sudden impulsive urge to buy cool gadgetry though ;)

Hahaha good ;)

Dragonfly

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
When it takes being screamed at for 30 minutes straight to get you to raise your voice, but when you do, it completely breaks the other person because it's the truth. And then you get kicked out...

Dragonfly

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
When you look internally to explain your behavior, instead of blaming it on external circumstance like most people. And you will never actually believe, or probably even say "I had no choice."

Ene

MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
5w4
I always carry my knife one me even when Im not suppose to.

You know you're an ISTP when you get ready to go into the ring at a martial arts tournament and you have to slip your friend the real Bowie knife that's hidden under you pants while no one's looking so she can hide it in her purse, then you give her the dagger that's hidden in your socks and the little one in your pocket, too. And she looks at you and says, "The other one, too." And then you pull out one more.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You know you're an ISTP when you get ready to go into the ring at a martial arts tournament and you have to slip your friend the real Bowie knife that's hidden under you pants while no one's looking so she can hide it in her purse, then you give her the dagger that's hidden in your socks and the little one in your pocket, too. And she looks at you and says, "The other one, too." And then you pull out one more.

haha