• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[SP] SPs and Science

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w5
Any SPs major in one of the hard sciences in college(Biology, Biochemistry,Chemistry,Physics)? What drew you to the major you chose? What sort of difficulties did you have, if any?

I did Bio and had a hell of a time. I found it stressful, but loved it at the same time. I liked the more macro biology, like anatomy, ecology, and evolution. I loved being able to get outside and study nature, and I still do. I didn't like the cellular and molecular studies as much, but did ok in them.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Any SPs major in one of the hard sciences in college(Biology, Biochemistry,Chemistry,Physics)? What drew you to the major you chose? What sort of difficulties did you have, if any?

I did Bio and had a hell of a time. I found it stressful, but loved it at the same time. I liked the more macro biology, like anatomy, ecology, and evolution. I loved being able to get outside and study nature, and I still do. I didn't like the cellular and molecular studies as much, but did ok in them.

Ah, I was/am similar. :) I majored in Ecology, Ethology, and Evolution; I chose it because it's one of the few subject matters I actually care about / am passionate about: Nature and conservation / ecology. I don't think that I found it 'stressful', but like you, I preferred macro, and did best because I intuitively understood the broader concepts. I did ok at cellular/molecular/anatomy/organic chem, but didn't enjoy them as much and things didn't click in place in my mind as easily (also, it was a lot of memorization).

I still get out in nature and love being in it / observing it. I also find it very peaceful.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
SP's + science: :wubbie:

This is one thing my 2 ISFP guy friends and I have in common. And one is a massage therapist, which involves a lot of anatomy and physiology. We enjoy many nature related activities together including documentaries. (each of them + me, not all three together alas)

totally makes sense, Se-Ni

G

Ginkgo

According to Linda V. Berens and Dario Nardi, extraverted thinking more or less governs a preference for thinking scientifically. But for Jung, that was extraverted sensing's business. I think they're both somewhat correct; while Te possesses the orderliness necessary for applying the scientific method, Se absorbs data without a second thought.

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w5
SP's + science: :wubbie:

This is one thing my 2 ISFP guy friends and I have in common. And one is a massage therapist, which involves a lot of anatomy and physiology. We enjoy many nature related activities together including documentaries. (each of them + me, not all three together alas)

totally makes sense, Se-Ni

I was told I was good at massages and thought about becoming a massage therapist.

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w5
According to Linda V. Berens and Dario Nardi, extraverted thinking more or less governs a preference for thinking scientifically. But for Jung, that was extraverted sensing's business. I think they're both somewhat correct; while Te possesses the orderliness necessary for applying the scientific method, Se absorbs data without a second thought.

That makes some good sense. If the data is about something I cannot observe with my own senses, then I look to someone who has credentials to help me understand what I can't observe. I would say that I accept what I can oberve through my senses without a second thought and when I was younger I believed what other people told me. I am more skeptical of what people say now that I'm older because of my science background and I've learned not to be so gullable :/

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w5
Ah, I was/am similar. :) I majored in Ecology, Ethology, and Evolution; I chose it because it's one of the few subject matters I actually care about / am passionate about: Nature and conservation / ecology. I don't think that I found it 'stressful', but like you, I preferred macro, and did best because I intuitively understood the broader concepts. I did ok at cellular/molecular/anatomy/organic chem, but didn't enjoy them as much and things didn't click in place in my mind as easily (also, it was a lot of memorization).

I still get out in nature and love being in it / observing it. I also find it very peaceful.

That's cool! It's nice to meet someone similar :)