User Tag List

First 51314151617 Last

Results 141 to 150 of 181

  1. #141
    meh Salomé's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Posts
    10,540

    Default

    bored with this now...

    Quote Originally Posted by Economica View Post
    ... bluemonday
    call me blue
    Quote Originally Posted by Economica View Post
    , you do realize that sarah was saying that the Ss she knows who are interested in type all started out identifying as Ns but later come to identify as Ss (and that none of the Ns did the opposite)? What does the minority of Ns (whether there are 1/7 as you said or 1/3-1/4 as ptgatsby said, and which you refer to as proving your point :rolli have to do with that?
    First of all, I was proving my point, not hers (altruism isn't my bag).

    Secondly, No, I don't realise that. She may, or may not have meant that, but what she actually said was:
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarah;
    everyone I know who is interested in type identifies first with the iNtuitive descriptions. EVERYONE. Pretty remarkable, huh? And only later do some of them come to realize that they might prefer sensing, thanks to reading more accurate descriptions of the 16 types.
    " none of the Ns did the opposite" seems to be your extrapolation.
    See - I can pay attention to details.

    However, relevance?

    Sarah's point, or one of them (her main point seems to be that she is p*ssed off with the condescension and perceived superiority of Ns in this forum and elsewhere) is:
    "Something's clearly wrong with the way these tests are worded, seeing as how so many people are being misled by them."

    (Now this suggests that these people who "identify with iNtuitive descriptions" initially, also test as intuitives, although she doesn't really clarify this point.)
    If I believed the MBTI test was so error-prone I would have a fundamental problem with the test in question, and I wouldn't accord it credence. And I would probably be more interested in writing a new test, than in "creating a website or a blog for ISFPs about our type preferences". Since, if the test is suspect, why should I believe that there is such as thing as an ISFP as defined by the MBTI?

    Put another way, I find MBTI compelling in part because of its accuracy in predicting types and typical behavior. If I didn't, I'd file it under BS and that would be that. (It's currently filed under "pending").

    Regarding Ss testing as Ns, there are so many reasons why this might happen. Since Sarah hasn't listed which of the many flavours of test she is referring too, no assessment can be made as to the validity of the test in question.

    If it is the official MBTI test, and not just something some first year psych student has knocked up in his spare time, there are a number of possible explanations:-
    Perhaps these people that test as Ns, but subsequently self-type as S, are in fact Ns, with little self-knowledge, or perhaps they are not highly differentiated. Or perhaps they are influenced by a cultural preference for S (note I do believe there is a cultural preference for S, in most industrial societies). Or perhaps they are too bloody stoopid to understand the questions. Who knows?

    The point of bringing statistics into it is that, even though this discrepancy may be true in Sarah's experience, it is not universally true, since the majority of people test initially and indefinitely as S. Hence, I would call into question the negative connotations regarding S-ness (...perhaps eSsence would be a better word), which Sarah suggests are implicit in the test.

    Phew, this is too much like hard work.

    Note to self: stay out of the S forums.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

  2. #142
    insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    9,489

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by digesthisickness View Post
    i think these posts of yours should have their own thread in order for them to have a better shot at being seen/read/appreciated.
    I think bluemonday's posts here should also have their own thread in order for them to have a better shot at being seen/read/appreciated.

  3. #143
    ✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿ digesthisickness's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    3,262

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    I think bluemonday's posts here should also have their own thread in order for them to have a better shot at being seen/read/appreciated.
    ha!
    ✻ღϠ₡ღ✻
    (¯`✻´¯)
    `*.¸.*'ღϠ₡ღஇڿڰۣ
    •.¸¸. Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒჱܓ. இڿڰۣ.¸¸.இڿڰۣ´¯`·.─♥


    Cerebral Artery
    http://www.facebook.com/CerebralArtery

  4. #144
    meh Salomé's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Posts
    10,540

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    I think bluemonday's posts here should also have their own thread in order for them to have a better shot at being seen/read/appreciated.

    "Flirt harder! I'm INTP" - Anon
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

  5. #145
    Senior Member ptgatsby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Posts
    4,474

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bluemonday View Post
    First of all, I was proving my point, not hers (altruism isn't my bag).
    I don't tend to nitpick... well, actually I do...

    But the whole thing is that this wasn't any form of support or rejection of Sarah's comments. It was a non sequitur that you got insulting over when asked about.

    However, it is logically possible that those that self-test automatically identify with Ns because only Ns self-test, that part I don't disagree with. Well, I kind of disagree, but not the logic of it

    Anyway, you explain why there is an issue anyway. Ns are into type, Ns create type, Ns write description and I assert that Ns are biased towards their type (which would be normal). Not MBTI as such, although it suffers from it as well, but Ns themselves create their own culture and attitude around being Ns, both creating the only minority group (which is virtually by design) and strongly identifying many traits (normally the good ones) against it.

  6. #146
    meh Salomé's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Posts
    10,540

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    I don't tend to nitpick... well, actually I do...

    But the whole thing is that this wasn't any form of support or rejection of Sarah's comments. It was a non sequitur that you got insulting over when asked about.

    However, it is logically possible that those that self-test automatically identify with Ns because only Ns self-test, that part I don't disagree with. Well, I kind of disagree, but not the logic of it

    Anyway, you explain why there is an issue anyway. Ns are into type, Ns create type, Ns write description and I assert that Ns are biased towards their type (which would be normal). Not MBTI as such, although it suffers from it as well, but Ns themselves create their own culture and attitude around being Ns, both creating the only minority group (which is virtually by design) and strongly identifying many traits (normally the good ones) against it.
    I confess I'm flumoxed ( <-- me, being flumoxed)

    I don't understand most of this. Are you talking to me?

    nonseq - is she in this thread? I don't remember insulting anyone. Seriously

    If MBTI suffers from bias then it is invalid as a psychological testing tool, period.

    Ns create culture, period.

    Creating a minority group? Do you really believe Myers et al sat down and said, now then, how can we invent a test which creates an artificial minority elite and makes everyone else feel like sh*t about themselves? Honestly?

    Perhaps you just have an inferiority complex and are unable to appreciate the excellence of S yourself?

    You will find in much of the literature and many personal accounts, how agonizing and isolating it can be to grow up as an N in an S-world. Then you might stop being jealous of us.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

  7. #147
    Senior Member Fiver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    217

    Default

    I think it's pretty funny that I inadvertantly started this smack-down (on a really old thread) because of how much I actually wanted to understand and value what it meant to perfer sensing -- to enhance my appreciation and understanding of all the fabulous Ss.

    Therefore, I very much appreciate everyone's well thought out posts.

    I'm an NT (assuming my typing is correct) female and since I don't get many opportunites in my worldto enjoy other NTs, this forum is fun for me. However, I don't enjoy the part of this thread that plays into the NT-negative stereotype. It just doesn't seem necessary.

  8. #148
    Senior Member Simplexity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    1,741

    Default

    I think part of the reason it sort of devolved into that is because it is fundamentally difficult to really envision how someone is, it is much better to get a sense of that by how they approach things, that is why looking at it from an applied point of view is much more telling. I think that is why a lot of S's really appreciated Sarah's approach. I think there was a similar thread earlier that looked at communication and I think there was a lot more head way made in that because of that fact.

    It's sort of inherent to think your way is the best way and alternate ways aren't as valuable or at least understandable thats why when you try and explain how someone is your prejudices permeate through to your posts. That is one of the toughest things about psychology and why you frequently hear the "first year psych" label on posts or people that don't see that distinction and why the spillover effect happens so easily with N's being in the minority.

    That's why I think it is really helpful when I sort of see the reference points of people so I can truly understand what they key on and how their decisions are based and justified. It really just ends up being a pissing match once someone introduces intelligence and its manifestations because then people just reference how what they do is the best way and it becomes unreadable.
    My cold, snide, intellectual life is just a veneer, behind which lies the plywood of loneliness.

  9. #149
    Senior Member ptgatsby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Posts
    4,474

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bluemonday View Post
    nonseq - is she in this thread? I don't remember insulting anyone. Seriously
    It means not relating to the topic at hand. Kind of like saying:

    "The sky is blue";"yah, but apples are red".

    Insulting - I probably should of used the word dismissive, in reflection. How it felt doesn't actually mean you expressed it that way.

    If you are being sarcastic/clever, you can refer to dismissive above.

    If MBTI suffers from bias then it is invalid as a psychological testing tool, period.
    Shocking

    Creating a minority group? Do you really believe Myers et al sat down and said, now then, how can we invent a test which creates an artificial minority elite and makes everyone else feel like sh*t about themselves? Honestly?
    Well, the compounds make it impossible to answer, so in pieces;


    Creating a minority group?


    It does.


    Do you really believe Myers et al sat down and said,


    I'm pretty sure they had lots of discussions about how to apply the theory, yes.



    now then, how can we invent a test which creates an artificial minority elite


    No, it developped by identifying functions from Jung and developping a test that would reflect her observations of people, which happened to involve a small group of Ns, by defintion. It is a by-product of the nature of functions being absolute, rather than a continium.


    and makes everyone else feel like sh*t about themselves?


    Nope, she was pretty professional, even if it didn't get validated to much later. A great deal of effort was done to make everyone comfortable, hiding any biases behind generalities and "it's not any better, just different", despite obvious correlations.

    Although it still hasn't been normalized, due to resistance from the functional view. *shrug* It depends on if you want to see that as bias, or purity.


    Honestly?


    I tend to be, yes, when loaded questions don't imply otherwise.

    Perhaps you just have an inferiority complex and are unable to appreciate the excellence of S yourself?
    I highly doubt that is the case. I'm virtually the last person on the board that would take being a S as something inferior. If anything, you can consider my S fixation to come from being on both sides, and seeing how the same N identification was poison.

    You will find in much of the literature and many personal accounts, how agonizing and isolating it can be to grow up as an N in an S-world. Then you might stop being jealous of us.
    I've heard it all before, and rejected it many times. It's a symptom of being in a minority group, not because you are that different. You can complain about being intelligent and excluded - and that would cover me. You could talk about being different than others, excluded and even bullied - and that would cover me. You could talk about being told to settle down and focus - and that would cover me.

    You were rejected because you were IxTP more than INTP in almost every dimension. Going forward, the N won't hold you back in career, or relationships or life in general.

    I identified with being N for a long time and had the same mentality. I have plenty to say on the topic because of that. It took a long time for me to realise that the items I blamed were not factors. Even in the case of intelligence, the one that could be considered related, there are enough high intelligence Ss that only the fringe cases would be notable - and they don't make up the majority of the Ns (by definition, fringe cases would be more than two deviations above norm, much less than the N population).

    --

    All of this is pointless, anyway. There are two things, though, that I want to be clear about. I did take exception to you being dismissive when challenged and weaving S into that.

    I'm good natured about the dismissive tactics, even if others aren't. However, I'm not tolerant about dismissive tactics woven with Ss. If you think of it as "dismissive tactics woven with women", it'll reflect how I feel about it. It would be like saying that I have to do all this because, well, geeze, women just aren't able to understand. It would dismiss your POV using a -ism, and not surprisingly, some people will get worked up over it.

    Anyway, I highly doubt you meant for it to come across that way, it just got carried away. The whole thing was just bad communication. I blame the internet (But note that you continue to do the same thing - "jealous of us" - and I don't think you would like it if I became condescending to you. I'm giving the benefit of the doubt that this is just how you are, and aren't taking swipes out of malice.)

  10. #150
    Senior Member Fiver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    217

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    I identified with being N for a long time and had the same mentality. I have plenty to say on the topic because of that.
    I am interested to hear more about how/why you changed your identification.

Similar Threads

  1. [SP] An SP in a house full of Ns.
    By Tiny Army in forum The SP Arthouse (ESFP, ISFP, ESTP, ISTP)
    Replies: 98
    Last Post: 02-04-2009, 06:23 PM
  2. We need good descriptions of functions
    By Into It in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-14-2008, 06:08 AM
  3. Very interesting description of Dostoevsky's personality
    By Sniffles in forum Popular Culture and Type
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-12-2008, 03:08 PM
  4. From the Horses' Mouth: Jung's Root descriptions of the Functions.
    By Eric B in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 09-08-2008, 08:05 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO