• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISTP] Why are words considered a luxury to the ISTP?

Dragonfly

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I dodnt know this sounds very N to me, I will have an eye on you

Well, my Ni is developed better than my Se, if that explains it. But now that i think about it, I used to type as an INTJ, although i hear that many ISTP's do

Dragonfly

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Are you pee buddies aswell ?

Oh, look, you made a funny. I meant that to show my dislike for verbal communication in active environments, but thank you for the pun.

Dragonfly

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yes, perhaps it may signify a relatively larger room\potential for growth in that area when\if consciously trained... I've been working out for more than 1.5 years doing primary lifts like deadlift, squat, bench, military press etc...I've gotten much stronger than I was but my muscle size has not exploded like that of an ectomorph mesomorph person...

However, this should theoretically mean that being an Se-inf, I should have some potential to develop that niche... How would this work for people who don't have Se in their first 4 functions stack I wonder?

I think it just ties in to the preference for S over N, not the functions themselves. Of course it is possible to grow and develop any trait, but i was just remarking on an observation that S's tend to make the consious choice more often.

Dragonfly

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The only way that I can generally get an ISTP to like me is through my sick and twisted sense of humor. They generally like that, but hate everything else about.

True, i have an ENTP that i hang around with, and he's an ass to everyone, me included. But I think he is funny so i tolerate it, and it helps that i don't take it personally.

infinite

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
~8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It's because we are introverted thinkers, and secondarily, extraverted sensors. So, we prefer to not communicate our thoughts, and instead focus on our environment. By asking them a question, you are forcing them to set both of those tendencies aside. This is exemplified with our Ni, and our irritation shows more because of our Fe.

Plus if you are a strong extravert, then they probably just dislike you to begin with. No offense.

I relate so much!!, except for the last part about disliking strong extraverts. They can be pretty fun IMO.

I dodnt know this sounds very N to me, I will have an eye on you

What was so N about the above?

Yes, perhaps it may signify a relatively larger room\potential for growth in that area when\if consciously trained... I've been working out for more than 1.5 years doing primary lifts like deadlift, squat, bench, military press etc...I've gotten much stronger than I was but my muscle size has not exploded like that of an ectomorph mesomorph person...

However, this should theoretically mean that being an Se-inf, I should have some potential to develop that niche... How would this work for people who don't have Se in their first 4 functions stack I wonder?

To build muscle, you have to watch what you eat etc. You should ask experienced body builders if you're into this. I really don't think this has anything to do with S or N preference. I know an INFJ guy who's got pretty big muscles, genetic too :)

yeghor

To build muscle, you have to watch what you eat etc. You should ask experienced body builders if you're into this. I really don't think this has anything to do with S or N preference. I know an INFJ guy who's got pretty big muscles, genetic too :)

Yeah but I tend to store fat very easily... so I am afraid of bulking... Is there any chance he could be an ISTP? Could you describe his lifestyle and his demeanor?

If he's an INFJ, I'd like to get tips from him about building up muscle without storing too much fat...

yeghor

I think it just ties in to the preference for S over N, not the functions themselves. Of course it is possible to grow and develop any trait, but i was just remarking on an observation that S's tend to make the consious choice more often.

I think the preference comes from our physiology, not some conscious choice we make... The functions are just a representation of that physiology... The functions represent the path of least resistance that our physiology (mental and physical make-up) is most suited to...

R

Riva

It's not a fact...just a hunch...I believe a high Se indicates an abundance of testosterone hormone in the body...hence the athletic build, promiscuity, aggressiveness, thrill-seeking and impulsiveness observed in those with high Se (including women)... That physiology gives them the ability to attune with and manipulate the Se layer of the physical environment...

Those in high Ne OTOH may have for instance an attunement with and ability to manipulate the outcome of events...i.e. the Ne layer...

Those strong in Fe OTOH may have relatively less amounts of testosterone, thereby may be lacking in the aforementioned traits...which compels them to depend on each other, and act in groups as a society to survive...

In nature, the former traits are observed in predators\carnivores (which may form packs as well sometimes but I guess the pack mentality comes from Fi-aux or tert) whereas the latter is observed in herd animals\herbivores...

Based on all these "assumptions", a high level of testosterone would result in a muscular\strong body, which would require a constant intake of (meat-based) protein to sustain...

There's plenty of data available to that end in bodybuilding diets etc...

In the end, this would imply that Fe = herd instinct... Fi= pack instinct... Se=predator instinct... Of course our conscious self may opt to go against the primitive instincts...to a certain extent...

I wrote a long fucking post replying to this that got deleted.

Basically i said:

I agree that physiology has an influenze one one's type
And about Se i agreed

Also i said:

Try different rep ranges. We all have two types of muscles that deal with hypertrophy (muscle mass). One type of muscle develop to a rep range of 10 to 15 and another 3 to 6. So take your time and decide for yourself by seeing what type of rep range affects you the most. 1 month of high reps (15) and 1 month of low reps (6).

Generally the range is from 3 to 15. Either way it's advised to make you positive and especially negative movements as slow as possible lest your cns does all the work and not your muscle mass.

I wonder what range [MENTION=5639]JocktheMotie[/MENTION] does? Could you share please.

yeghor

I wrote a long fucking post replying to this that got deleted.

Basically i said:

I agree that physiology has an influenze one one's type
And about Se i agreed

Also i said:

Try different rep ranges. We all have two types of muscles that deal with hypertrophy (muscle mass). One type of muscle develop to a rep range of 10 to 15 and another 3 to 6. So take your time and decide for yourself by seeing what type of rep range affects you the most. 1 month of high reps (15) and 1 month of low reps (6).

Generally the range is from 3 to 15. Either way it's advised to make you positive and especially negative movements as slow as possible lest your cns does all the work and not your muscle mass.

I wonder what range [MENTION=5639]JocktheMotie[/MENTION] does? Could you share please.

Thanks Riva... I use 8-12 rep ranges mostly...

infinite

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
~8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yeah but I tend to store fat very easily... so I am afraid of bulking... Is there any chance he could be an ISTP? Could you describe his lifestyle and his demeanor?

If he's an INFJ, I'd like to get tips from him about building up muscle without storing too much fat...

No way he's ISTP. He's very F and very N.

But okay you asked, so, he's really sensitive, cares a lot about people; he's very creative, into film making (made this his life goal), he basically defines himself by his creativity. He understands people intuitively, makes intuitive conclusions that I'm kind of skeptical about (not saying he can't be correct). He really doesn't do anything that ISTPs do. Oh and he's not doing any serious body building, so he's not that lean, you're not going to get tips on that from him sorry

You should really just go on a body building forum and ask for advice there :)

I think the preference comes from our physiology, not some conscious choice we make... The functions are just a representation of that physiology... The functions represent the path of least resistance that our physiology (mental and physical make-up) is most suited to...

That's a nice way to put it :)

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Well, my Ni is developed better than my Se, if that explains it. But now that i think about it, I used to type as an INTJ, although i hear that many ISTP's do

That explains it..

infinite

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
~8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
That explains it..

You called this N? "It's because we are introverted thinkers, and secondarily, extraverted sensors. So, we prefer to not communicate our thoughts, and instead focus on our environment. By asking them a question, you are forcing them to set both of those tendencies aside. This is exemplified with our Ni, and our irritation shows more because of our Fe."

See the bolded :)

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
You called this N? "It's because we are introverted thinkers, and secondarily, extraverted sensors. So, we prefer to not communicate our thoughts, and instead focus on our environment. By asking them a question, you are forcing them to set both of those tendencies aside. This is exemplified with our Ni, and our irritation shows more because of our Fe."

See the bolded :)

Do you believe that shit really ? This sounds like you were some sort of computer following a programming.

What would be, if an introverted thinker for example likes to communicate his thoughts. Why shouldnt he ? And what sets him apart from the extrovert thinker would be the fact that he is a minute thinker, while the Te type would be a global thinker.

Or what about dynamic ? When Ti and Se merge to TSe. A TSe thinker maybe sucks in creating flow charts but on the battlefield he maybe has the best vision for strategic victory.

The way you portray those things isn't by a far reach grasping on the edge of complexity that is life.

infinite

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
~8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Do you believe that shit really ? This sounds like you were some sort of computer following a programming.

The ISTP guy - [MENTION=21297]Dragonfly[/MENTION] - I was quoting from actually described the way I am IRL pretty well. My response was nothing to do with computer programs... If it's hard for you to imagine that someone can be like this and thus call it bullshit, too bad. :doh:

The only one thing I'd correct is it's an oversimplification that Ti never likes to speak... for me it's just hard to verbalize stuff but it's a nice exercise attempting it. Just not IRL though, because my attention will be focused differently than when I sit in front of a PC typing away. And how that focus is different is what the guy really seems to have grasped so well.

What would be, if an introverted thinker for example likes to communicate his thoughts. Why shouldnt he ? And what sets him apart from the extrovert thinker would be the fact that he is a minute thinker, while the Te type would be a global thinker.

Sure I like communicating my thoughts under certain circumstances. As explained above.

I'm kind of skeptical on that distinction about the Ti = minute thinker vs Te = global thinker here but nevermind that.

Or what about dynamic ? When Ti and Se merge to TSe. A TSe thinker maybe sucks in creating flow charts but on the battlefield he maybe has the best vision for strategic victory.

The way you portray those things isn't by a far reach grasping on the edge of complexity that is life.

Just as a reminder, it was someone else in this thread who wrote that sentence.

I honestly don't even know what you got upset about here. I was simply asking what seemed N-ish to you in that sentence as you previously commented on it with that opinion.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
The only one thing I'd correct is it's an oversimplification that Ti never likes to speak... for me it's just hard to verbalize stuff but it's a nice exercise attempting it. Just not IRL though, because my attention will be focused differently than when I sit in front of a PC typing away. And how that focus is different is what the guy really seems to have grasped so well.

What about dynamics in character ? To say, I have, I do, I want, I need does bring you to a point when you have a pretty static image of yourself. but is everyone always like that or do we change ? Over time with experience ? In a second thru emotion ? Can you at all really pinpoint down someone that precisely to say he is this or that.

Maybe the gamma quadra achiever is in his freetime the total social beta. While the total social beta on the job, becomes some sort of ambitious achiever for compliments in his freetime with his friends. How static is personality is the question ? Doesnt it change and fluctuate ?

I honestly don't even know what you got upset about here. I was simply asking what seemed N-ish to you in that sentence as you previously commented on it with that opinion.

I am not upset, I want to expand your mind. So you do not make the same mistakes I once did.

yeghor

What about dynamics in character ? To say, I have, I do, I want, I need does bring you to a point when you have a pretty static image of yourself. but is everyone always like that or do we change ? Over time with experience ? In a second thru emotion ? Can you at all really pinpoint down someone that precisely to say he is this or that.

Maybe the gamma quadra achiever is in his freetime the total social beta. While the total social beta on the job, becomes some sort of ambitious achiever for compliments in his freetime with his friends. How static is personality is the question ? Doesnt it change and fluctuate ?

I am not upset, I want to expand your mind. So you do not make the same mistakes I once did.

We can use the functions interchangeably... Our MBTI type represents our "strongest" and "most capable" preference... A Ti-dom's Te (i.e. real time articulation of thoughts) would be clumsier wrt that of a Te-dom...

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
We can use the functions interchangeably... Our MBTI type represents our "strongest" and "most capable" preference... A Ti-dom's Te (i.e. real time articulation of thoughts) would be clumsier wrt that of a Te-dom...

But if you can use them interchangeably, you could learn to master them all and theen become the mastertype with every function having the same strength. At that point functions cease to exist and the mbti theory looses validity.

yeghor

But if you can use them interchangeably, you could learn to master them all and theen become the mastertype with every function having the same strength. At that point functions cease to exist and the mbti theory looses validity.

No, our physiology (bodily and mental) limits us...they can be developed to some extent...

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
No, our physiology (bodily and mental) limits us...they can be developed to some extent...

Thats where our opinions differ. I dont believe in genetics or any sort of boundaries, I believe in that I can become everything that I want. For some things I need to try harder, cause they are foreign to me.

I learnt that from Americans in young age, sadly that you lost that attitude and replaced it with some pseudo-spiritual self degeneration

yeghor

Thats where our opinions differ. I dont believe in genetics or any sort of boundaries, I believe in that I can become everything that I want. For some things I need to try harder, cause they are foreign to me.

I learnt that from Americans in young age, sadly that you lost that attitude and replaced it with some pseudo-spiritual self degeneration

Then why are you here?