• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISTP] Why are words considered a luxury to the ISTP?

á´…eparted

passages
So Se = carnivore, Fe= herbivore...

An ENTJ friend developed this taste and hunger for red meat around his 30s (which I guess coincides with his Se-tert developing)... So do Se-doms\aux have a specific hunger for red meat?

That's just silly. Functions have nothing to do with food preference. At all.

Functions are about how people think. External manifestations of them are not consistent enough to draw conclusions about.

chubber

failed poetry slam career
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
An ENTJ friend developed this taste and hunger for red meat around his 30s (which I guess coincides with his Se-tert developing)... So do Se-doms\aux have a specific hunger for red meat?

Wait till you turn 35 haha :D

yeghor

That's just silly. Functions have nothing to do with food preference. At all.

Functions are about how people think. External manifestations of them are not consistent enough to draw conclusions about.

A high Se might be correlated with high testosterone levels in body, which might trigger some kind of hunger for meat-based protein...cause testosterone is related with muscle building process...

á´…eparted

passages
A high Se might be correlated with high testosterone levels in body, which might trigger some kind of hunger for meat-based protein...cause testosterone is related with muscle building process...

No. Where is your evidence/support of this?

Werebudgie

I want my account deleted
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
I believe they consider (showing) feelings as a sign of weakness... And in the wild, animals who exhibit signs of weakness ends up being a prey rather than a predator...

Those strong in Fe I believe on the other hand are inclined to form herds (read: society) rather than living solitary lifestyles...

So Se = carnivore, Fe= herbivore...

Ah, the joys of your "unique" approach to typing. It never ends. (I'm a vegan by the way, haven't eaten meat for the last 30 years since I was in my early teens, and you once wildly mistyped me as ISTP. I'm actually INFJ so that means that by your theory, now that I'm integrating Se-inf, I should be having cravings for red meat. Or hey, since it's inferior, maybe I'd just be having cravings for fake red meat, like soy substitute or something. Neither of which is true, but what the heck, this is fun! Rawr! )

The nonsense that sometimes passes for function analysis on this site ... *sigh*

yeghor

Ah, the joys of your "unique" approach to typing. It never ends. (I'm a vegan by the way, haven't eaten meat for the last 30 years since I was in my early teens, and you once wildly mistyped me as ISTP. I'm actually INFJ so that means that by your theory, now that I'm integrating Se-inf, I should be having cravings for red meat. Or hey, since it's inferior, maybe I'd just be having cravings for fake red meat, like soy substitute or something. Neither of which is true, but what the heck, this is fun! Rawr! )

The nonsense that sometimes passes for function analysis on this site ... *sigh*

Embrace your true nature...:D

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
[MENTION=16476]badger055[/MENTION]

I don't know they just are. Try not to think about it too much.

lol, that's not gonna happen. I think about everything too much. I am a core head type. I mean, you are too, but you are a 7w8 with a strong connection to the gut center, so you would be inclined to be a lot less head center than I.

No I'm not really aware of them. I'm mostly only aware of the extreme ones and if my mood shifts. If you ask about my deep feelings you are asking about something that doesn't exist. I honestly don't even know what people are talking about when they say they have all these complicated feelings all the time. It's mostly just calmness all the time for me. And yes taking my personality apart is fine.

To tell the truth, I'm not really aware of my own feelings most of the time, but I am VERY aware of others feelings.
[MENTION=20531]yeghor[/MENTION]

I guess in male IxTP's eyes, it's not masculine to feel...it's a sign of weakness...and femininity...

That's not just in his mind, that's just American culture to think that way: men are not supposed to feel, women are the feelers. I never bought this crap, but that belief is certainly out there.

I've seen my ISTP coworker boiling inside angry... He denies being so and tries to feel better (read: powerful/masculine) again by lashing at others...

Is he also a core 9w8? This is also a 9 fixer thing to deny your anger.
[MENTION=20789]Werebudgie[/MENTION]

"Gay" as in attracted to the same gender? Feelings are attracted to other feelings of the same gender? That makes no sense. Maybe you mean something else by the word?

Shut up. You know what the dude meant. Stop going Fj on him. He is a Ti dom, and Fe is his last function, so he sucks at it.

Werebudgie

I want my account deleted
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Shut up. You know what the dude meant. Stop going Fj on him. He is a Ti dom, and Fe is his last function, so he sucks at it.

Noted. As a gay person, I don't like people using that word as a slur. While it doesn't affect me strongly, it is one of the things that, in context, can really hurt gay kids when people use it that way.

á´…eparted

passages
It wasn't an excuse... Why do you take such an offense at my suggestion?

Because what you're suggesting is wrong, based off stereotypes. You made a claim, without supporting it. You just said "it's my Ni". That doesn't make it right. Yours, and anyones intuition can be used as leads, but it can NOT be used as a fact or basis without some kind of support.

If you were joking around, I am sorry for misunderstanding, but by your tone I assumed you are/were being serious with this, hence I took it as such.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
I mean, I am the inverse type of you, so it's no surprise that this feels kind of alien to me. I totally am on board with most communication being nonverbal but without words, I see it as inconsistent and hard to read. Further, a lot of the time it's a strain to read. I'll do it (I have to) but without words to go along with things, it's like eating a cake with no flour; an important piece is missing.

What do you learn of a person through stuff like a massage? I might be able to pick up a few things, but not much. TBH, people like this actually make me uncomfortable (well, they can anyway). Not that that's a bad thing, it just triggers a stress response cause I don't get it.

Yeah this is strange to me too. I am very prone to words as well.
[MENTION=16476]badger055[/MENTION]

I didn't even realize I used a lot of body language but I guess I do. I have this weird ability to just stare someone down and read them like a book based off their tonality/behaviour/reactions and it's all done subconsciously. Maybe you should be uncomfortable since I can basically stare into peoples souls.

Yeah, what's up with that ISTP stare down? I notice that ISTP's are notorious for their stare-downs. I guess they do it because they don't really realize how uncomfortable that they make people feel by doing this.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
Noted. As a gay person, I don't like people using that word as a slur. While it doesn't affect me strongly, it is one of the things that, in context, can really hurt gay kids when people use it that way.

Good God. A person can say nothing without offending someone now-a-days.

badger055

Permabanned
Yeah, what's up with that ISTP stare down? I notice that ISTP's are notorious for their stare-downs. I guess they do it because they don't really realize how uncomfortable that they make people feel by doing this.

I don't usually do that unless you have caught my attention in a bad way. That's when my killer instinct comes out. Otherwise I usually avoid eye contact. I think that might be more common with 8s?

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It seems like every ISTP that I know seems to hate to talk. I mean, it seems like words are just seemed like an unnecessary evil to them. In fact, I find that when I ask them questions, they almost look at me with a look of scorn on their face because I am forcing them to communicate. Why are ISTP's like this? Also, please don't say, "It's because they're introverts" because I find that many introverts aren't like this (the INFJ and the INFP) especially.

I have had the same experience with ISTP's in particular as well.

Their Ti just doesn't want to waste time on the unnecessary.

Also, if you are asking them questions, they can feel some sort of "pressure" to rebel or resist against it. The thinking being, that the person posing the question, is trying to take an authoritative stance...They don't like to be controlled. (This is from what I've gathered.)

Non-talkers drive me INSANE! Granted, I am a very talkative person and I love to talk so I am bias, but still. How else are you supposed to communicate with someone? Osmosis of thought? This has always confounded me. I'll see people who are good friends, but they talk very little to each other (from what I can observe). It's like... how do you know about the person? How does your friendship build? Is it magic? Where's the voodoo doll?

Kidding aside, this really does confound me. I actually want to know from non-talkers. How do you build relationships? Though I should point out, there is a difference between someone who is a quiet listener, and someone who just doesn't talk much. A quiet listener, prefers to listen and let the other person speak. But, they offer up feedback and will continue the discussion (I have a few friends like this, I do get strained sometimes but that's my own problem). They will share what they think, just not readily and it needs to be prompted. Someone who doesn't talk is someone who does have thoughts, but just doesn't feel compelled or want to speak them, or they just don't care. I just... I don't get it at all.

(I think this is independent of type, but I do agree this seems to be somewhat common amongst ISTP's).

I can get frustrated with lack of talking in a relationship too. I have a hard time building relationships in the form of "osmosis" that you've mentioned.

I dated an ISTP a couple years ago. It was not easy to communicate. There was no substance to the relationship imo, but we dated for 2 YEARS! I still feel like I barely know him. :shock: There is only so long that I can use Se to bond.

Bonding over experiences is not how I bond :laugh: But it seems to be the way Se does.

I had a similar experience with my ex ISFP as well though.

(I am attracted to introverted men by default. :/ )

This stereotype makes me reconsider my boyfriend's type because he can talk a lot when he feels like it. Loves arguing and bullshitting and telling stories. I'm way less talkative, especially in social situations.

My ex ISTP would talk everyone's ear off in public. He had very well developed Se and Fe for others. When it came time to go home and be alone with me though...not very many words. Even when his friends would come over, I think he would talk to them more.

I asked him why, and he said that he was just being social. That he wasn't revealing himself a whole lot to others. Just making sports banter and such. :shrug:

And my ISFJ friend's bf is ISTP, and he will retell stories all the time. It's just some form of Se+Fe, trying to keep things upbeat (or something)...is what I've gathered.

So I think they can still seem very outgoing in their convos when a social circle comes into play.

Good God. A person can say nothing without offending someone now-a-days.

It took me a long time to figure out why my gay friends didn't like that word being used that way. (They could not convince me with one solid reason not to be able to say what I wanted...)

But the thing is that it's being used to replace the word "weak" if you boil it down.

And why is being weak so bad? It's because then you would be perceived to take on qualities of females. It's like a double whammy. It's attacking gay people cause they're feminine (and god forbid. Nothing's worse than a guy being feminine. :ohmy: (obviously joking)) And it's attacking females cause they're seen as the weakest gender.

That's just the thought process behind it...don't know if it matters.

Anyways I think "lame" is a much better fit. :D

If it's any consolation, I'm gay and don't give a shit :D.

It's the context that matters. The vast majority of the time it's not meant to harm anyone.

See above.

á´…eparted

passages
I can get frustrated with lack of talking in a relationship too. I have a hard time building relationships in the form of "osmosis" that you've mentioned.

I dated an ISTP a couple years ago. It was not easy to communicate. There was no substance to the relationship imo, but we dated for 2 YEARS! I still feel like I barely know him. :shock: There is only so long that I can use Se to bond.

Bonding over experiences is not how I bond :laugh: But it seems to be the way Se does.

I had a similar experience with my ex ISFP as well though.

(I am attracted to introverted men by default. :/ )

That's interesting. I'm also surprised you lasted that long!

My closest friend from college is an ESFP, and the way we bonded 75% of the time was shared experiences. They're actually the strongest bonders for me. Mostly because it makes them last. Talking bonding stand alone doesn't do enough, it fades fast because I am not actually doing something with the person. That said, shared experiences alone is not enough. There's got to be a lot of communication, or shared emotion/struggles in order for it be anything. My ESFP and I bonded mostly over skiing. We went all the time together. However, when we went, we were always talking, shooting the shit, joking around, starting games with each other, having "oh shit we almost went off a cliff" moments. I've gone skiing with others before and it was mostly just skiing with each other. One guy in particular got a lot out of it and seemed to start to bond to me from what I could tell, but I didn't at all. I was just bored and someone stressed by it (not sure of his type).

If my ESFP friend and I weren't doing something, she'd get bored quickly. That's actually big reason why I love her so much, she's an initatior of action (and I need someone to do that), and I mostly keep up, and I am an initator of communication (and she needs someone to do that), and she mostly keeps up. Perfect bond really.

Though I think a difference between us though is I am way more attracted to extroverts in friends and relationships. Introverts tend to be more of a strain for me. The point is, I think for someone shared experiences might be enough, or talking alone might be enough. For others, you need a mix of things :)