User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ESI Fi

Default The Gift of Craftmanship

When people compliment me for being able to draw, paint, fix my car, or remodel my house, they will sometimes tell me that I have a gift and that they wish they could do those things too. I will often tell them that they could do it too if they give it a try. I am surprised at the number of these people that respond in the negative. They tell me that a person either has it or they don't, and they just don't have it. I am amazed by this. I never would've been able to do any of the things I have if I at least didn't try. How many of you run into similar responses. Are SPs just more optimistic in what they think they can accomplish and just do it? Are we just more practiced? Is it really just innate?

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I think it's just more obvious to SPs that things that exist can be made. It's an odd connection that not everybody gets naturally.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Fun in the Sun View Post
    When people compliment me for being able to draw, paint, fix my car, or remodel my house, they will sometimes tell me that I have a gift and that they wish they could do those things too. I will often tell them that they could do it too if they give it a try. I am surprised at the number of these people that respond in the negative. They tell me that a person either has it or they don't, and they just don't have it. I am amazed by this. I never would've been able to do any of the things I have if I at least didn't try. How many of you run into similar responses.
    I'm also very artistic and crafty and DIY-ey. This happens to me all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Fun in the Sun View Post
    Are SPs just more optimistic in what they think they can accomplish and just do it? Are we just more practiced? Is it really just innate?
    Clearly, I'm not an SP, so it's not an attribute limited to SPs.

However, the part about being more optimistic about what you can accomplish is part of it. So is accumulating the experience and building on it, as well as developing confidence in your abilities through repeatedly facing challenges and succeeding (this is called self-efficacy).

I think enjoyment of the process plays a huge part: if you like doing something, it motivates you to both spend time doing it and to persevere in the face of difficulties (rather than becoming discouraged and quitting). A lot of people who see the results of your labor think it would be awesome to do the same, but never actually enjoyed engaging in such activities when and if they were exposed to them. It's the same phenomenon as people who admire various athletic performances but don't actually enjoy the activities they are watching or even physical exercise...
    And that's my two cents on the subject.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Yes, I think SPs do tend to have a better innate grasp of what materials you have and what you can do with them. My ISTP brother is basically a car genius in that way. Personally I am artistic, but unfortunately, I do not always enjoy the process of creating art very much. There are only a handful of mediums I truly enjoy and I often get anxious along the way. Fixing the car is something I'd rather leave to a mechanic... with the house I'd leave it to a repairman unless it's something small and artistic, like caulking/spackling/painting.

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    2w3
    Socionics
    EIE

I had a choir director who believed anyone could sing with the right knowledge, techniques, and practice. Under his guidance I ended up winning an award for most improved. The trick is believing that you can.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram

People are often envious of things that are unfamiliar to them.
    But that doesn't mean those things are beyond their reach...

Maybe we are looking for validation by
    trying to distinguish or separate ourselves from others.

I try to assume everyone has my abilities, and adjust accordingly

MBTI
    STP

Understanding things and how they work come easy to me. So I can reverse engineer things combined with forward engineering to get the job done. This expands beyond "typical" istp stuff. I do know cars, building computers,fixing stuff around the house. But I also got into personality, functional finances, like real estate, retirements, investing, etc. I started playing around with programming at 5.

I guess when it comes to craftmanship, I am extremely coordinated and have a really good balance which makes a lot of physical things easier to learn. From using tools, to just using my body.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    Si
    Socionics
    ESTP

Unless you're a total moron who can't follow instructions most things can be learned.

MBTI
    STP

Quote Originally Posted by ColonelGadaafi View Post
    Unless you're a total moron who can't follow instructions most things can be learned.
    That doesnt really apply in life. I know people who cant follow instructions yet have tested as gifted. Simple to you doesnt mean simple to everyone. I am sure I can come up with something that to me comes easy and if you cant do it your a moron. Retarded blanket statement, only a moron would think that...LMAO
    Im out, its been fun

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    Si
    Socionics
    ESTP

Quote Originally Posted by Poki View Post
    That doesnt really apply in life. I know people who cant follow instructions yet have tested as gifted. Simple to you doesnt mean simple to everyone. I am sure I can come up with something that to me comes easy and if you cant do it your a moron. Retarded blanket statement, only a moron would think that...LMAO
    You didn't get my point instead get caught up in language like a face value retard that alot of sp people seem to be. If you have an average capacity in a field and can follow instructions you'll learn.