User Tag List

12 Last

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7

Default ExTP's and bipolar disorder?

Any ExTP's ever feel like, if they wanted to, they could induce a cocaine-like state of intensity and enthusiasm at will, in themselves?

Do you ever feel like this renders you depressed and exhausted the next few days?

I theorize that Bipolar disorder could be linked to socionics Fi polr.

MBTI
    yupp

I've never been able to will myself into a manic state.

Entertaining Cracker five sounds's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    729 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEE Ne

I'm prone to highs and lows. When I was seeing a psych about it, she talked about that tendency as being on a spectrum. So individuals who are diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder are on the extreme end of the spectrum, while everyone else falls somewhere along it. Cyclothymia is a milder form.

Naturally, when people go hard in one direction, there is a kind of swing in the opposite direction. This is more true with people whose moods are more sensitive or changing. She counselled me to "manage my highs in order to manage my lows". In other words, the more intense and enthusiastic I let myself become, the lower I'll be once my emotions feel a need to recover/retreat from it. It's hard for me to do, but I definitely have observed it to be true.
    You hem me in -- behind and before;
    you have laid your hand upon me.
    Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
    too lofty for me to attain.

Quote Originally Posted by nicolita View Post
    I'm prone to highs and lows. When I was seeing a psych about it, she talked about that tendency as being on a spectrum. So individuals who are diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder are on the extreme end of the spectrum, while everyone else falls somewhere along it. Cyclothymia is a milder form.

Naturally, when people go hard in one direction, there is a kind of swing in the opposite direction. This is more true with people whose moods are more sensitive or changing. She counselled me to "manage my highs in order to manage my lows". In other words, the more intense and enthusiastic I let myself become, the lower I'll be once my emotions feel a need to recover/retreat from it. It's hard for me to do, but I definitely have observed it to be true.
    I know this kind of feeling! I used to have these mood swings when I was a bit younger. I could get myself to enthusiastic, hyperative and overly happy mood and then after sometime I literally felt exhausted by these intense emotions and my emotions fell right into hoplessness and depression. The more happy I had felt before, the more depressed I became. But it stopped somewhere around the age of 18...Now I feel more tired most of the time and then I also don't experience much of a depression. It's kind of a numb state, but I don't really feel it's comfortable as well.
    dividuals who are diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder are on the extreme end of the spectrum, while everyone else falls somewhere along it.
    It's interesting, that a professional told you this...There's not just one kind of bipolar disorder. Bipolar disorder I. is the most typical, when the person is attacked by states of extreme happiness and joy, that calls mania and then for a shorter time he feels depressed, hopeless, suicidal... But there is also Bipolar II, when the person doesn't experience such a great mood swings and usually from depression he is only able to go to hypomania state, which is in contrast with mania much less intense, the person might just feel happy without a reason, but never goes to the manic extremes. The most dangerous is the Bipolar II, because people usually don't know they are sick. Sometimes the Bipolar II could aslo seem just like a regular depression with some "bright states".

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Arendee View Post
    Any ExTP's ever feel like, if they wanted to, they could induce a cocaine-like state of intensity and enthusiasm at will, in themselves?

Do you ever feel like this renders you depressed and exhausted the next few days?

I theorize that Bipolar disorder could be linked to socionics Fi polr.
    I cringe with these types of connections. I was diagnosed bipolar II over ten years ago, hospitalized, medicated and for the previous 6 years been very stable and healthy after A LOT of work - I think these types of correlations are not helping anyone's knowledge of actual real diagnosis of bipolar disorder and the layman's confusion with what these illnesses actually consist of.

Mental illness is NOT type or function related - AT ALL.

If any type is experiencing issues or mental confusion with their stability over time - get professional help.

*that is not to say the experiences expressed could not be signs of bipolar illness but I can't stress enough to speak with a professional to truly get correct feedback. People on the internet have no context and tend to mix and mingle criteria of what is and isn't "normal" behavior by their own experiences - not medical or clinical knowledge.
    ~luck favors the ready~

Shameless Self-Promotion:MDP2525's Den and the Start of Motorcycle Maintenance

Infinite Bubble

Quote Originally Posted by MDP2525 View Post
    Mental illness is NOT type or function related - AT ALL.
    People enjoy saying that but I bet there's some connection.

It's all about the way one's brain works after all.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7

Quote Originally Posted by Infinite Bubble View Post
    People enjoy saying that but I bet there's some connection.

It's all about the way one's brain works after all.
    Exactly, its not uncommon for ENTP/ENFP 7's to be diagnosed with ADHD, afterall the integration point for Ne dominant 7's is to become more meditative, mentally focused, and tranquil (point 5 and Si inferior), and I've met plenty of IxTJs diagnosed with aspergers, and I think someone linked autism with IxTP's.

Infinite Bubble

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Arendee View Post
    Exactly, its not uncommon for ENTP/ENFP 7's to be diagnosed with ADHD, afterall the integration point for Ne dominant 7's is to become more meditative, mentally focused, and tranquil (point 5 and Si inferior), and I've met plenty of IxTJs diagnosed with aspergers, and I think someone linked autism with IxTP's.
    Yeah, agreed.

Back to your original question, I'm not sure, but I always linked it with Pe + Fi for some reason. (Especially Ne.) But that's just a guess.

Edit: Actually, not so much Fi, but there's something about the nature of Pe.

MBTI
    ENXP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    IEE

Hmm well ENTPs are supposed to be prone to compensatory narcissism and ESTPs are apparently the most prone to sociopathy (don't know if that's relevant but I found it interesting). I don't know if it's possible to will oneself into a manic state but I do quite often (almost every day) find myself very excited, alert and hyper to the point where I have actually considered it to be mania xD probably not quite to the extent of it being like cocaine.. But I do also experience lows following this excitement, possibly due to burnt out energy :') I think it's probably down to the fact that I can get so excitable in certain circumstances and then very moody in others- maybe something about being and extroverted perceiver! I also think the enneagram type has something to do with it also- as I am a type 4 I can be a bit moody at times, I guess the type 8 personality could indicate something as well.
    Of course it isn't always down to personality and there could just be a chance that you need a doctor, but that's your call x3 although I do reckon that the extroverted perceivers can sometimes experience an enthusiasm that perhaps resembles mania :3

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

I find that ExxP's that are 6w7, 7w6, or 7w8 and are sx/so have a good chance of being diagnosed with bipolar disorder.