• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] ExTP's and bipolar disorder?

Azure Flame

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Any ExTP's ever feel like, if they wanted to, they could induce a cocaine-like state of intensity and enthusiasm at will, in themselves?

Do you ever feel like this renders you depressed and exhausted the next few days?

I theorize that Bipolar disorder could be linked to socionics Fi polr.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I've never been able to will myself into a manic state.

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm prone to highs and lows. When I was seeing a psych about it, she talked about that tendency as being on a spectrum. So individuals who are diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder are on the extreme end of the spectrum, while everyone else falls somewhere along it. Cyclothymia is a milder form.

Naturally, when people go hard in one direction, there is a kind of swing in the opposite direction. This is more true with people whose moods are more sensitive or changing. She counselled me to "manage my highs in order to manage my lows". In other words, the more intense and enthusiastic I let myself become, the lower I'll be once my emotions feel a need to recover/retreat from it. It's hard for me to do, but I definitely have observed it to be true.

hjgbujhghg

I am
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm prone to highs and lows. When I was seeing a psych about it, she talked about that tendency as being on a spectrum. So individuals who are diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder are on the extreme end of the spectrum, while everyone else falls somewhere along it. Cyclothymia is a milder form.

Naturally, when people go hard in one direction, there is a kind of swing in the opposite direction. This is more true with people whose moods are more sensitive or changing. She counselled me to "manage my highs in order to manage my lows". In other words, the more intense and enthusiastic I let myself become, the lower I'll be once my emotions feel a need to recover/retreat from it. It's hard for me to do, but I definitely have observed it to be true.
I know this kind of feeling! I used to have these mood swings when I was a bit younger. I could get myself to enthusiastic, hyperative and overly happy mood and then after sometime I literally felt exhausted by these intense emotions and my emotions fell right into hoplessness and depression. The more happy I had felt before, the more depressed I became. But it stopped somewhere around the age of 18...Now I feel more tired most of the time and then I also don't experience much of a depression. It's kind of a numb state, but I don't really feel it's comfortable as well.
dividuals who are diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder are on the extreme end of the spectrum, while everyone else falls somewhere along it.
It's interesting, that a professional told you this...There's not just one kind of bipolar disorder. Bipolar disorder I. is the most typical, when the person is attacked by states of extreme happiness and joy, that calls mania and then for a shorter time he feels depressed, hopeless, suicidal... But there is also Bipolar II, when the person doesn't experience such a great mood swings and usually from depression he is only able to go to hypomania state, which is in contrast with mania much less intense, the person might just feel happy without a reason, but never goes to the manic extremes. The most dangerous is the Bipolar II, because people usually don't know they are sick. Sometimes the Bipolar II could aslo seem just like a regular depression with some "bright states".

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Any ExTP's ever feel like, if they wanted to, they could induce a cocaine-like state of intensity and enthusiasm at will, in themselves?

Do you ever feel like this renders you depressed and exhausted the next few days?

I theorize that Bipolar disorder could be linked to socionics Fi polr.

I cringe with these types of connections. I was diagnosed bipolar II over ten years ago, hospitalized, medicated and for the previous 6 years been very stable and healthy after A LOT of work - I think these types of correlations are not helping anyone's knowledge of actual real diagnosis of bipolar disorder and the layman's confusion with what these illnesses actually consist of.

Mental illness is NOT type or function related - AT ALL.

If any type is experiencing issues or mental confusion with their stability over time - get professional help.

*that is not to say the experiences expressed could not be signs of bipolar illness but I can't stress enough to speak with a professional to truly get correct feedback. People on the internet have no context and tend to mix and mingle criteria of what is and isn't "normal" behavior by their own experiences - not medical or clinical knowledge.

Azure Flame

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
People enjoy saying that but I bet there's some connection.

It's all about the way one's brain works after all.

Exactly, its not uncommon for ENTP/ENFP 7's to be diagnosed with ADHD, afterall the integration point for Ne dominant 7's is to become more meditative, mentally focused, and tranquil (point 5 and Si inferior), and I've met plenty of IxTJs diagnosed with aspergers, and I think someone linked autism with IxTP's.

I

Infinite Bubble

Exactly, its not uncommon for ENTP/ENFP 7's to be diagnosed with ADHD, afterall the integration point for Ne dominant 7's is to become more meditative, mentally focused, and tranquil (point 5 and Si inferior), and I've met plenty of IxTJs diagnosed with aspergers, and I think someone linked autism with IxTP's.

Yeah, agreed.

Back to your original question, I'm not sure, but I always linked it with Pe + Fi for some reason. (Especially Ne.) But that's just a guess.

Edit: Actually, not so much Fi, but there's something about the nature of Pe.

elliefox

MBTI Type
ENXP
Enneagram
4w5
Hmm well ENTPs are supposed to be prone to compensatory narcissism and ESTPs are apparently the most prone to sociopathy (don't know if that's relevant but I found it interesting). I don't know if it's possible to will oneself into a manic state but I do quite often (almost every day) find myself very excited, alert and hyper to the point where I have actually considered it to be mania xD probably not quite to the extent of it being like cocaine.. But I do also experience lows following this excitement, possibly due to burnt out energy :') I think it's probably down to the fact that I can get so excitable in certain circumstances and then very moody in others- maybe something about being and extroverted perceiver! I also think the enneagram type has something to do with it also- as I am a type 4 I can be a bit moody at times, I guess the type 8 personality could indicate something as well.
Of course it isn't always down to personality and there could just be a chance that you need a doctor, but that's your call x3 although I do reckon that the extroverted perceivers can sometimes experience an enthusiasm that perhaps resembles mania :3

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
I find that ExxP's that are 6w7, 7w6, or 7w8 and are sx/so have a good chance of being diagnosed with bipolar disorder.

Azure Flame

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
ok well here's an illustration.

some days I feel like this:

zeus_by_genzoman-d1qn6k2.jpg

and then the next day I feel like this:

Sleepy_Day.jpg

S

Society

i don't think that's how bipolars work: from the few i've gotten to know, it's not about being capable of reaching extreme moods or the capacity to trigger it, vise versa - it's about the lack of any sensible triggers or natural control over it, which is the exact opposite of being able to consciously induce it.

for my part:
- bipolars is one of the many conditions i was screened for on a regular basis for security clearance throughout my service.
- and yes, i very much identify with the OP statement, and i am capable of reaching extreme states of energy (with later costs).

chaoticbrain

MBTI Type
NeTi
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
Very much the case for me, but the up and down can actually occur over the course of a few hours.

Often times what is happening is I'm fantasizing about something grandiose possibility or thinking about how awesome I am, but later on I'll decide I'm worthless.

Last edited:

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
i don't think that's how bipolars work: from the few i've gotten to know, it's not about being capable of reaching extreme moods or the capacity to trigger it, vise versa - it's about the lack of any sensible triggers or natural control over it, which is the exact opposite of being able to consciously induce it.

for my part:
- bipolars is one of the many conditions i was screened for on a regular basis for security clearance throughout my service.
- and yes, i very much identify with the OP statement, and i am capable of reaching extreme states of energy (with later costs).

Again, I think a lot of Sx/so's either have bipolar disorder or at least think they have bipolar disorder. I might be sx/so and they thought that I had bipolar disorder for a while.

S

Society

Again, I think a lot of Sx/so's either have bipolar disorder or at least think they have bipolar disorder. I might be sx/so and they thought that I had bipolar disorder for a while.
i agree that it isn't a huge stretch between being prone to extremes and having uncontrollable extremes, it is a big enough of a distinction that needed to be clarified. while i generally agree with [MENTION=9075]infinity[/MENTION] bubble that the whole attempt to draw typology away from anything that can be considered mental health related (or for that matter anything with negatives) is quite possibly the worst attempt at political correctness ever attempted at any community (not judging people's personality by external factors != not judging people's personality by their personality! i am both grateful and a little disappointed to not be the only one to see this..) in this case [MENTION=5223]MDP2525[/MENTION] is right, the diagnosis of bipolar doesn't work. if you were to make it fit without tearing the definition's of bipolar's mother's cunt to the point that bipolar's sister's come out, like demonstrate that the sense of triggers is all retrospective justification (thinking it happened because you decided to do it based on the memory of considering the desire to do it), in which case we might just be all bipolars who are kidding themselves, that would make sense.

another thought is that bipolar is almost built right in with some of the MBTI expansion pack theories..
specifically, two of the theories of shadow functions:
- opposite function order (ENTP <-> ISFJ)
- opposite function orientation (ENTP <-> INTJ)
- opposite order & orientation (ENTP <-> ESFP)
in the first two versions, you'd have a person who's natural functions drive for ExxP characteristics ending up with undeveloped functions that push for IxxJ characteristics under stress. if this is true, then you could see how an ExxP <->IxxJ transition combined with the transition from functional functions to dysfunctional ones can seem like a transition from manic to depressive.

i am very much identifying with your sig atm btw...

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
i agree that it isn't a huge stretch between being prone to extremes and having uncontrollable extremes, it is a big enough of a distinction that needed to be clarified. while i generally agree with [MENTION=9075]infinity[/MENTION] bubble that the whole attempt to draw typology away from anything that can be considered mental health related (or for that matter anything with negatives) is quite possibly the worst attempt at political correctness ever attempted at any community (not judging people's personality by external factors != not judging people's personality by their personality! i am both grateful and a little disappointed to not be the only one to see this..) in this case [MENTION=5223]MDP2525[/MENTION] is right, the diagnosis of bipolar doesn't work. if you were to make it fit without tearing the definition's of bipolar's mother's cunt to the point that bipolar's sister's come out, like demonstrate that the sense of triggers is all retrospective justification (thinking it happened because you decided to do it based on the memory of considering the desire to do it), in which case we might just be all bipolars who are kidding themselves, that would make sense.

another thought is that bipolar is almost built right in with some of the MBTI expansion pack theories..
specifically, two of the theories of shadow functions:
- opposite function order (ENTP <-> ISFJ)
- opposite function orientation (ENTP <-> INTJ)
- opposite order & orientation (ENTP <-> ESFP)
in the first two versions, you'd have a person who's natural functions drive for ExxP characteristics ending up with undeveloped functions that push for IxxJ characteristics under stress. if this is true, then you could see how an ExxP <->IxxJ transition combined with the transition from functional functions to dysfunctional ones can seem like a transition from manic to depressive.

i am very much identifying with your sig atm btw...

Well I'm glad that you agree with me, and I'm glad that you like my sig.

S

Society

Well I'm glad that you agree with me, and I'm glad that you like my sig.

i didn't say either of those. in fact stretching what i said to mean that i agree with you or that like your sig is almost as bad as stretching the definition of bipolar disorder to accommodate ExxP inclinations (which is what i actually pointed out).

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I think the manic phase of bipolar can make someone look EXTP but I don't think it makes it true unless they are naturally EXTP

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
People enjoy saying that but I bet there's some connection.

It's all about the way one's brain works after all.

No I disagree. People with introversion probably have more in common with Aspergers - yes. Just as extroversion may have more similarities with ADD. OCD may have correlation with stereotypical "J" traits but to make these comparisons is just ignorant. It's very much non-related even though it's easy to "make sense" of in this way.

These mental health issues are not personality "traits" on steroids or lack thereof. These are chemical imbalances, behavioral issues, anxiety issues - that are impairments to functioning properly. Any type can have these but I don't think you can accurately be typed while in the throes of these mental illnesses because they hide real personalties.

Mental illness is suffering. Its defined as a lack of coping skills and generally most people suffering actively do not have a strong sense of who they are. Meaning you can type a disease to fit into MBTI but that doesn't mean you are typing the person accurately.