User Tag List

First 12

Results 11 to 20 of 20

  1. #11
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7
    Posts
    2,319

    Default

    ok well here's an illustration.

    some days I feel like this:



    and then the next day I feel like this:


  2. #12
    Senior Member prplchknz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    yupp
    Posts
    29,782

    Default

    btw true mania lasts at least a week.

  3. #13
    Society
    Guest

    Default

    i don't think that's how bipolars work: from the few i've gotten to know, it's not about being capable of reaching extreme moods or the capacity to trigger it, vise versa - it's about the lack of any sensible triggers or natural control over it, which is the exact opposite of being able to consciously induce it.

    for my part:
    - bipolars is one of the many conditions i was screened for on a regular basis for security clearance throughout my service.
    - and yes, i very much identify with the OP statement, and i am capable of reaching extreme states of energy (with later costs).

  4. #14
    Member chaoticbrain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    MBTI
    NeTi
    Enneagram
    6 sx
    Posts
    82

    Default

    Very much the case for me, but the up and down can actually occur over the course of a few hours.

    Often times what is happening is I'm fantasizing about something grandiose possibility or thinking about how awesome I am, but later on I'll decide I'm worthless.
    Last edited by chaoticbrain; 12-19-2013 at 12:42 PM.

  5. #15
    Senior Member The Great One's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    6w7
    Posts
    3,461

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mane View Post
    i don't think that's how bipolars work: from the few i've gotten to know, it's not about being capable of reaching extreme moods or the capacity to trigger it, vise versa - it's about the lack of any sensible triggers or natural control over it, which is the exact opposite of being able to consciously induce it.

    for my part:
    - bipolars is one of the many conditions i was screened for on a regular basis for security clearance throughout my service.
    - and yes, i very much identify with the OP statement, and i am capable of reaching extreme states of energy (with later costs).
    Again, I think a lot of Sx/so's either have bipolar disorder or at least think they have bipolar disorder. I might be sx/so and they thought that I had bipolar disorder for a while.

  6. #16
    Society
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Great One View Post
    Again, I think a lot of Sx/so's either have bipolar disorder or at least think they have bipolar disorder. I might be sx/so and they thought that I had bipolar disorder for a while.
    i agree that it isn't a huge stretch between being prone to extremes and having uncontrollable extremes, it is a big enough of a distinction that needed to be clarified. while i generally agree with @infinity bubble that the whole attempt to draw typology away from anything that can be considered mental health related (or for that matter anything with negatives) is quite possibly the worst attempt at political correctness ever attempted at any community (not judging people's personality by external factors != not judging people's personality by their personality! i am both grateful and a little disappointed to not be the only one to see this..) in this case @MDP2525 is right, the diagnosis of bipolar doesn't work. if you were to make it fit without tearing the definition's of bipolar's mother's cunt to the point that bipolar's sister's come out, like demonstrate that the sense of triggers is all retrospective justification (thinking it happened because you decided to do it based on the memory of considering the desire to do it), in which case we might just be all bipolars who are kidding themselves, that would make sense.

    another thought is that bipolar is almost built right in with some of the MBTI expansion pack theories..
    specifically, two of the theories of shadow functions:
    - opposite function order (ENTP <-> ISFJ)
    - opposite function orientation (ENTP <-> INTJ)
    - opposite order & orientation (ENTP <-> ESFP)
    in the first two versions, you'd have a person who's natural functions drive for ExxP characteristics ending up with undeveloped functions that push for IxxJ characteristics under stress. if this is true, then you could see how an ExxP <->IxxJ transition combined with the transition from functional functions to dysfunctional ones can seem like a transition from manic to depressive.

    i am very much identifying with your sig atm btw...

  7. #17
    Senior Member The Great One's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    6w7
    Posts
    3,461

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mane View Post
    i agree that it isn't a huge stretch between being prone to extremes and having uncontrollable extremes, it is a big enough of a distinction that needed to be clarified. while i generally agree with @infinity bubble that the whole attempt to draw typology away from anything that can be considered mental health related (or for that matter anything with negatives) is quite possibly the worst attempt at political correctness ever attempted at any community (not judging people's personality by external factors != not judging people's personality by their personality! i am both grateful and a little disappointed to not be the only one to see this..) in this case @MDP2525 is right, the diagnosis of bipolar doesn't work. if you were to make it fit without tearing the definition's of bipolar's mother's cunt to the point that bipolar's sister's come out, like demonstrate that the sense of triggers is all retrospective justification (thinking it happened because you decided to do it based on the memory of considering the desire to do it), in which case we might just be all bipolars who are kidding themselves, that would make sense.

    another thought is that bipolar is almost built right in with some of the MBTI expansion pack theories..
    specifically, two of the theories of shadow functions:
    - opposite function order (ENTP <-> ISFJ)
    - opposite function orientation (ENTP <-> INTJ)
    - opposite order & orientation (ENTP <-> ESFP)
    in the first two versions, you'd have a person who's natural functions drive for ExxP characteristics ending up with undeveloped functions that push for IxxJ characteristics under stress. if this is true, then you could see how an ExxP <->IxxJ transition combined with the transition from functional functions to dysfunctional ones can seem like a transition from manic to depressive.

    i am very much identifying with your sig atm btw...
    Well I'm glad that you agree with me, and I'm glad that you like my sig.

  8. #18
    Society
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Great One View Post
    Well I'm glad that you agree with me, and I'm glad that you like my sig.
    i didn't say either of those. in fact stretching what i said to mean that i agree with you or that like your sig is almost as bad as stretching the definition of bipolar disorder to accommodate ExxP inclinations (which is what i actually pointed out).

  9. #19
    Senior Member prplchknz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    yupp
    Posts
    29,782

    Default

    I think the manic phase of bipolar can make someone look EXTP but I don't think it makes it true unless they are naturally EXTP

  10. #20
    Rainy Day Woman MDP2525's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Posts
    5,537

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Infinite Bubble View Post
    People enjoy saying that but I bet there's some connection.

    It's all about the way one's brain works after all.
    No I disagree. People with introversion probably have more in common with Aspergers - yes. Just as extroversion may have more similarities with ADD. OCD may have correlation with stereotypical "J" traits but to make these comparisons is just ignorant. It's very much non-related even though it's easy to "make sense" of in this way.

    These mental health issues are not personality "traits" on steroids or lack thereof. These are chemical imbalances, behavioral issues, anxiety issues - that are impairments to functioning properly. Any type can have these but I don't think you can accurately be typed while in the throes of these mental illnesses because they hide real personalties.

    Mental illness is suffering. Its defined as a lack of coping skills and generally most people suffering actively do not have a strong sense of who they are. Meaning you can type a disease to fit into MBTI but that doesn't mean you are typing the person accurately.
    ~luck favors the ready~


    Shameless Self-Promotion:MDP2525's Den and the Start of Motorcycle Maintenance

Similar Threads

  1. Type and anxiety disorders
    By Kiddo in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 66
    Last Post: 10-16-2017, 08:52 PM
  2. Toxoplasmosis, Schizophrenia, and Bipolar Disorder
    By Mal12345 in forum Science, Technology, and Future Tech
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 06-17-2015, 11:06 PM
  3. Bipolar disorder and cyclothymia
    By King sns in forum Health and Fitness
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 06-06-2015, 12:52 PM
  4. MBTI and eating disorders
    By Kaveri in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 11-06-2011, 09:32 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO