User Tag List

12 Last

Thread: Art, Sex, Death

Banned

Default Art, Sex, Death

Since I am continually getting banned from the other forum I frequent I'll have to ask my questions here. In that forum (art related) someone brought up the subject of sex and death in art. Well, they said something to the effect that there are those people who joke that all art is mostly about sex and death. So I bring the question here. I believe the creation of art is more than that. And I don't think art is a joke. What do you think? I ask, because presently this matter is what is keeping me from exploring my own creativity and expressing myself artistically.

Quote Originally Posted by clueless View Post
    Since I am continually getting banned from the other forum I frequent I'll have to ask my questions here. In that forum (art related) someone brought up the subject of sex and death in art. Well, they said something to the effect that there are those people who joke that all art is mostly about sex and death. So I bring the question here. I believe the creation of art is more than that. And I don't think art is a joke. What do you think? I ask, because presently this matter is what is keeping me from exploring my own creativity and expressing myself artistically.
    My dear Clueless, you think art is more than sex and death and you don't think art is a joke. But something is stopping you from exploring your own creativity and expressing yourself artistically.

I would like to do what I could to help you express yourself artistically. But it is hard for me to know what to do. Can you think of anyway I might help you express yourself?

Victor.

Banned

Well Victor, since we barely know each other, I think I can go so far as to say that I doubt your aim would be of a sexual nature, so then go ahead and tell me. Oh, you want me to think of ways in which you might be of help? Hmm, let's see, umm, not at the moment, but I'll think of something. Will you be here when I get back to you?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

Since I am continually getting banned from the other forum I frequent I'll have to ask my questions here.

I ask, because presently this matter is what is keeping me from exploring my own creativity and expressing myself artistically.
    Is "art" incidental to your real question?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Night View Post
    Is "art" incidental to your real question?
    Actually, my question is about the perception of visual art.

Well Victor, since we barely know each other, I think I can go so far as to say that I doubt your aim would be of a sexual nature, so then go ahead and tell me. Oh, you want me to think of ways in which you might be of help? Hmm, let's see, umm, not at the moment, but I'll think of something. Will you be here when I get back to you?
    Well Clueless, since we barely know one another, I think it is safe to say that my offer is not of a sexual nature. Rather I think self expression is a path to understanding. And I would like to understand you, just as I would like you to understand me.

And by listening to one another, we can come to understand ourselves.

And hey, yes, I will wait for you here.

Victor.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Well Clueless, since we barely know one another, I think it is safe to say that my offer is not of a sexual nature. Rather I think self expression is a path to understanding. And I would like to understand you, just as I would like you to understand me.

And by listening to one another, we can come to understand ourselves.

And hey, yes, I will wait for you here.

Victor.
    Aww, ya little softy, how sweet of you. Well alrighty then, we can do that, listen to one another, if you think it will help clarify some of the problems Im having. So where do we start? PM or something like that? I mean, we can't do it in this forum. Other people would get bored.

I think art is about beauty.

Some see sex and death only. I think both are beautiful, but a focus on them alone seems distorted. Death is harder to see as beautiful, but if we see it as the culmination and finalization of life, then this is possible.

Have you defined what is beautiful to you?

MBTI
    INXP

Passion. Tragedy.

The life of the 'eccentric', escapism to those who are not.
    http://badges.mypersonality.info/badge/0/6/68764.png
    Ti Ne Fi Ni

-How beautiful, this pale Endymion hour.
    -What are you talking about?
    -Endymion, my dear. A beautiful youth possessed by the moon.
    -Well, forget about him and get to bed.
    -Yes, my dear.

MBTI
    infp
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    fuck

I won't play mindgames with you and I'm not an intellectual, so here goes.

To address your question, I think art is about the full spectrum of human experience. It's about whatever the artist is wanting to give voice to at that time. Birth-death-sex-war-love-beauty-grief-angst-etc. It's about all of it.

To address your block, well there are many books on the topic. Do you have a daily creative practice? Do you wait for inspiration? One of the best books I've read on the topic is Amazon.com: The Courage to Create: Rollo May: Books.

Some might say to do the work with regular discipline whether you feel inspired or not, and then maybe it might find you. Others might say to not think about it much at all and just doodle or write or whatever your medium is and see what comes of that. Or maybe your well is dry and you need to fill it up; go on an artist's date. Take some time off to incubate; do something physical, or spiritual.

That's all I got.
    There's reason to be afraid, and reason to open your heart. ~ Seal

Refreshment for your ears: www.kexp.org