• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[SP] Art, Sex, Death

clueless

Permabanned
Since I am continually getting banned from the other forum I frequent I'll have to ask my questions here. In that forum (art related) someone brought up the subject of sex and death in art. Well, they said something to the effect that there are those people who joke that all art is mostly about sex and death. So I bring the question here. I believe the creation of art is more than that. And I don't think art is a joke. What do you think? I ask, because presently this matter is what is keeping me from exploring my own creativity and expressing myself artistically.

Mole

Permabanned
Since I am continually getting banned from the other forum I frequent I'll have to ask my questions here. In that forum (art related) someone brought up the subject of sex and death in art. Well, they said something to the effect that there are those people who joke that all art is mostly about sex and death. So I bring the question here. I believe the creation of art is more than that. And I don't think art is a joke. What do you think? I ask, because presently this matter is what is keeping me from exploring my own creativity and expressing myself artistically.

My dear Clueless, you think art is more than sex and death and you don't think art is a joke. But something is stopping you from exploring your own creativity and expressing yourself artistically.

I would like to do what I could to help you express yourself artistically. But it is hard for me to know what to do. Can you think of anyway I might help you express yourself?

Victor.

clueless

Permabanned
Well Victor, since we barely know each other, I think I can go so far as to say that I doubt your aim would be of a sexual nature, so then go ahead and tell me. Oh, you want me to think of ways in which you might be of help? Hmm, let's see, umm, not at the moment, but I'll think of something. Will you be here when I get back to you?

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
Since I am continually getting banned from the other forum I frequent I'll have to ask my questions here.

I ask, because presently this matter is what is keeping me from exploring my own creativity and expressing myself artistically.

Is "art" incidental to your real question?

Mole

Permabanned
Well Victor, since we barely know each other, I think I can go so far as to say that I doubt your aim would be of a sexual nature, so then go ahead and tell me. Oh, you want me to think of ways in which you might be of help? Hmm, let's see, umm, not at the moment, but I'll think of something. Will you be here when I get back to you?

Well Clueless, since we barely know one another, I think it is safe to say that my offer is not of a sexual nature. Rather I think self expression is a path to understanding. And I would like to understand you, just as I would like you to understand me.

And by listening to one another, we can come to understand ourselves.

And hey, yes, I will wait for you here.

Victor.

clueless

Permabanned
Well Clueless, since we barely know one another, I think it is safe to say that my offer is not of a sexual nature. Rather I think self expression is a path to understanding. And I would like to understand you, just as I would like you to understand me.

And by listening to one another, we can come to understand ourselves.

And hey, yes, I will wait for you here.

Victor.

Aww, ya little softy, how sweet of you. Well alrighty then, we can do that, listen to one another, if you think it will help clarify some of the problems Im having. So where do we start? PM or something like that? I mean, we can't do it in this forum. Other people would get bored.

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
I think art is about beauty.

Some see sex and death only. I think both are beautiful, but a focus on them alone seems distorted. Death is harder to see as beautiful, but if we see it as the culmination and finalization of life, then this is possible.

Have you defined what is beautiful to you?

colmena

señor member
MBTI Type
INXP
Passion. Tragedy.

The life of the 'eccentric', escapism to those who are not.

anii

homo-loving sonovagun
MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
I won't play mindgames with you and I'm not an intellectual, so here goes.

To address your question, I think art is about the full spectrum of human experience. It's about whatever the artist is wanting to give voice to at that time. Birth-death-sex-war-love-beauty-grief-angst-etc. It's about all of it.

To address your block, well there are many books on the topic. Do you have a daily creative practice? Do you wait for inspiration? One of the best books I've read on the topic is Amazon.com: The Courage to Create: Rollo May: Books.

Some might say to do the work with regular discipline whether you feel inspired or not, and then maybe it might find you. Others might say to not think about it much at all and just doodle or write or whatever your medium is and see what comes of that. Or maybe your well is dry and you need to fill it up; go on an artist's date. Take some time off to incubate; do something physical, or spiritual.

That's all I got.

Mole

Permabanned
Aww, ya little softy, how sweet of you. Well alrighty then, we can do that, listen to one another, if you think it will help clarify some of the problems Im having. So where do we start? PM or something like that? I mean, we can't do it in this forum. Other people would get bored.

Let 'em get bored - you're more important.

And I think this is a good place - it is tolerant and well run - and there are many people here who will take an interest in you.

You can talk to us and clarify some of the problems you are having.

After all we also have our problems as well - not only would we like to listen to you, we would also like you to listen to us.

Problems shared are problems halved, I am told.

And joy shared seems to increase all by itself.

SquirrelTao

MBTI Type
INXX
I used to think a lot about what art and writing are about, and you know what? I just got to a point where I decided to "just do it". You don't need to know, ahead of time, what it is about. Maybe you'll only know why you wanted to do it, after you do it. Maybe what it is all about will walk in through the back door and surprise you.

Of course art is not just about sex and death. How very Freudian. As if Freud had the last word on everything that human beings can be and do. Freud was a fraud.

Some people will just say things like that because it makes them feel superior to something that they really do not understand. Anybody who really knew a lot about art would be deeply interested in art. Anybody deeply interested in art would find it intolerable to put art into such a box.

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
This is why the SP forum should be renamed.
It took me locating a SP response to get the gist of this thread. My question is why is the topic is being placed in the SP forum until I did a double take on the name. You're right 6, thinking that Artisan has anything to do with art is a misnomer.