Thread: Ask an ESFP!

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

How do you feel about highly metaphysical subjects, like cosmology and the nature of creation? (I ask because Se seems very much into externals, so getting your perspective rather than the uber-esoteric ones on big questions should be interesting).

Ratchet Ass Moon Fairy Comeback Girl's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    2w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    yolo Ni

@Chanaynay
    Interesting! I never looked at The Simpsons from an MBTI perspective. What about Joey from Friends or Ash Ketchum from Pokemon? I think they're pretty obvious ESFPs.

Ouch... Call me a philistine, but I've only watched one episode of Friends in my entire life and I decided that it wasn't my cup of tea, so I have no clue. Same with Pokémon, my parents never let me watch it as a kid. I actually don't watch TV a lot, I'd rather do something.

@Poimandres
    How do you feel about highly metaphysical subjects, like cosmology and the nature of creation? (I ask because Se seems very much into externals, so getting your perspective rather than the uber-esoteric ones on big questions should be interesting).

I'm sorry, I don't really care about metaphysical things. These subjects are complicated and pretty irrelevant in my daily life, so getting all the way into it would be a waste of time. I'll leave worrying about metaphysics to people who have some sort of expertise on that subject.
    Ewww is the new sexy

Hi! Ask me things, maybe I'll answer them! Just click here

And here's my functions: Se-Te-Fi-Fe-Ni-Ti-Ne-Si

Entertaining Cracker five sounds's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    729 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEE Ne

Are you involved in art or performance of any kind?

What is a behavior you strongly dislike in others?

What's your favorite movie/musical artist?

Thanks for opening up to questions like this!
    You hem me in -- behind and before;
    you have laid your hand upon me.
    Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
    too lofty for me to attain.

What would you like to offer an introvert like Mole?

A_priori

Quote Originally Posted by Comeback Girl View Post
    Well, I'm a third year psychology student and MBTI and typology weren't discussed in any of my classes, so I guess it doesn't have that much value according to scientists. But personality is a vague concept and I don't think it's possible to reduce everyone's personality entirely to some traits and numbers, but if you can help someone while trying, who am I to judge? Psychologists tend to use the Big Five because apparently it's more scientific, but it's easier to categorize people with the MBTI, because MBTI creates types which kind of oversimplify people's personalities. So I think MBTI probably isn't the most accurate way to measure personality (but then again, I think it's impossible to measure every single part of one's personality).

Then again it's an easy instrument to help people with BECAUSE it oversimplifies personalities. When people get typed with MBTI, their actually 'unique' personality gets linked with the personalities of people who are pretty much like them; people with the same MBTI type. And while they might not be exactly the same as other people with their type, others with the same type might be similar enough to create guidelines for difficult life decisions. I don't think I've come across many articles and websites which give career advice and advice to handle difficult situations based on the Big Five, while the internet is loaded with these advices based on MBTI. I also haven't seen any website especially for people with the same Big Five personality, I mean, could you imagine a forum called 'Low Extraversion, High Neuroticism, High Conscientiousness, Medium Agreeableness, Low Openness United'?. Well, MBTI does have these 'support groups' where people can help and get advice from like-minded people. Same with when you're having a conflict with someone: if you know them well enough, you can figure out their MBTI type and find plenty of websites telling you how to handle conflicts with people with exactly this MBTI type. Can't say the same about the Big Five.

I think I have to come to the conclusion that while MBTI might not be all that accurate, it seems like people are passionate enough about it to find a proper use for it. The Big Five might be seen as scientifically superior, but while the users of this theory aren't that fanatic that they'd invent ways to make it practical for everyday use by non-scientists and non-psychologists, MBTI still has some value in this world.

I hope this makes sense.
    Well said, people hang on the MBTI like its tried tested and true. Even the big 5 isn't the best measure of personality. The problem is the word personality in itself isn't even well defined. Tests like these are used in attempts to try and classify ones character into 4 little categories which are highly over generalized in my opinion. Never the less, I do enjoy the idea of typing people but at some point you have to look at the other side of the coin and say to yourself, does this test really make sense?

For starters if you look at most any behavioural therapies like CBT and REBT they teach that feelings shadow are thoughts which to me makes perfect sense because how can one formulate a feeling without a thought first. So does this mean that we are all Ts by design? On the other side of the coin, one could say well some people prefer feeling or rely on it over thinking. Then you would have to make the argument that feeling and thinking are a choice etc.. Both valid arguments but this demands many other arguments and on it goes until your majoring in philosophy.. Don't even get me started on the other letters!! Lol

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    2w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    yolo Ni

@nicolita

Are you involved in art or performance of any kind?
    Yes! I love almost all types of creative expression! I love drawing, painting, drama, everything! I also like dancing, but more on the dance floor than the type where you have to memorize all the movements. The memorizing kind is a bit boring to me.

What is a behavior you strongly dislike in others?
    I hate it when people are trying to control me, I've always hated that. Something I noticed with my fellow students is that most of them tend to be really unrealistic and trying to get to live up to unrealistic ideals and I can't stand that either. I just find it stupid when people don't have enough sense of reality to realize that their plans just aren't going to work out properly. I hate it when people are being negative and pessimistic when there's absolutely no need to and I also hate secretive behavior.

What's your favorite movie/musical artist?
    I don't have one specific favorite movie. I always had a wide range of movies that I liked. I love all the movies I've seen from Quentin Tarantino, but I also love silly comedies. This Monday I visited Despicable Me 2 and I enjoyed every second of it. I must admit that I'm not really into deep, sad dramas, overly sweet romance movies and other types of tear jerkers, because I hate crying.

@Mole

What would you like to offer an introvert like Mole?
    What would you like me to offer you? Can't just make up something out of nothing.
    Ewww is the new sexy

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    2w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    yolo Ni

@nicolita
    Almost forgot about the music part! When it comes to music I generally like upbeat music that's easy to dance to. Nothing deep, just pop and dance, mainly. If you'd ask others, I think most people would say my taste in music is very bad, but then again I find most 'good music' a bit depressing.
    Ewww is the new sexy

Stansmith

What type of things do you usually think about when you let your mind wander?

Entertaining Cracker five sounds's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    729 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEE Ne

^ ooo good one
    You hem me in -- behind and before;
    you have laid your hand upon me.
    Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
    too lofty for me to attain.

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    2w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    yolo Ni

@Stansmith

What type of things do you usually think about when you let your mind wander?

Activities that I've planned, things I still have to do, things I would like to do, what's going on in the lives of other people, things people did or said and what could be behind that, how to solve problems with other people if there are problems that need to be solved. You know, basic stuff about activities, people and problem solving. Nothing complicated like the meaning of life or anything. Sounds quite dull, doesn't it?
    Okay, now and then I think about what I want to do with my life too, but most of the time that's whenever something goes wrong in my life.
    Ewww is the new sexy