User Tag List

12 Last

Thread: Confused

MBTI
    ISFP

Question Confused

So lately I've found that I can't stand even being near certain family members, I don't know why I feel this way. Sometimes I absolutely hate being at home around them. Except when I'm not around my family I feel very happy, almost like a different person (ie when I am working or out with friends) I know it sounds pretty harsh and I wonder if this is normal? Can anyone else relate, is this just an issue with independance? Both my other siblings moved out of the house when they were 15 and 16...... any types that can relate or were in similar situations??

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

I can't stand my parents. Some of it is rationally justified, because they were kind of crappy parents and sort of dysfunctional people (hah. "sort of"), but on top of that, there's just a burning sense of aggrivation from being around them that I know is irrational. I don't know why it happens, but it started about 5 or 6 years ago, so I would have been 14/13.

I feel so much better when I'm away from them. I feel like I'm never realy myself so long as I'm in the range of my family. I empathize with you.

That being said, I'm going to leave to spend the weekend at my parents' in a couple of hours.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    ISFP

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    I can't stand my parents. Some of it is rationally justified, because they were kind of crappy parents and sort of dysfunctional people (hah. "sort of"), but on top of that, there's just a burning sense of aggrivation from being around them that I know is irrational. I don't know why it happens, but it started about 5 or 6 years ago, so I would have been 14/13.

I feel so much better when I'm away from them. I feel like I'm never realy myself so long as I'm in the range of my family. I empathize with you.

That being said, I'm going to leave to spend the weekend at my parents' in a couple of hours.
    Well my parents aren't really that bad its just they dont understand my need for space, freedom from structure and the fact that I can sometimes change my mind very quickly. They are also too demanding and quite judgemental so likewise i don't feel like i am myself around them It's good to know I'm not the only one cause I do feel guilty about feeling like this.

Anyways I wish you luck with visiting your parents

MBTI
    ABCD
    Enneagram
    4 sx/so
    Socionics
    SEI

Quote Originally Posted by aireal View Post
    Well my parents aren't really that bad its just they dont understand my need for space, freedom from structure and the fact that I can sometimes change my mind very quickly. They are also too demanding and quite judgemental so likewise i don't feel like i am myself around them It's good to know I'm not the only one cause I do feel guilty about feeling like this.

Anyways I wish you luck with visiting your parents
    I can totally relate.

MBTI
    TiSe

Quote Originally Posted by aireal View Post
    So lately I've found that I can't stand even being near certain family members, I don't know why I feel this way. Sometimes I absolutely hate being at home around them. Except when I'm not around my family I feel very happy, almost like a different person (ie when I am working or out with friends) I know it sounds pretty harsh and I wonder if this is normal? Can anyone else relate, is this just an issue with independance? Both my other siblings moved out of the house when they were 15 and 16...... any types that can relate or were in similar situations??
    This has nothing to do with type. It's time to go on your own, plain and simple. Keep in mind if you are feeling this way, your family members are probably equally feeling the same about you. So the question is, who has the courage to make the first move?

MBTI
    ISFP

Quote Originally Posted by "?" View Post
    This has nothing to do with type. It's time to go on your own, plain and simple. Keep in mind if you are feeling this way, your family members are probably equally feeling the same about you. So the question is, who has the courage to make the first move?
    yes true, true.... i do have someone to go and move in with, i would in a heart beat except she says I should tough it out for the rest of the summer, save money and then move out (sigh).... maybe I should just tell her that I need to move out now?

MBTI
    TiSe

I may have been too hasty with my response. How old are you and when alluding to "she" in the previous post, are you meaning the person that you are moving in with are your mother, or someone else?

MBTI
    ISFP

well thats the thing, i'm only 16 and I would be moving in with my older sister, i would stilll be going to school.... its just that I told my mother some very personal information and now it seems like she keeps using it against me in a negative way everytime we get into an argument, i just feel i need my independance which is hard because we live a 3 and a half hour walk out of town. Oh yes and I have a feeling my mother may have bipolar...

MBTI
    TiSe

Well contrary to your first assertion you do know exactly why you prefer not to be close to your mom. Your reasons are legit, but should not be aired here. If the two of you can, I would suggest maybe speaking to a family counselor. This is not a type matter.

Don't you need to be 18 to live away from your parents? Will your sister get custody? Are you planning on going to college/university - will they be paying? Just wondering if you couldn't suck it up for two more years and fininsh school living at home.

Just from what you've written it sounds like typical teen/parents stuff but I could be wrong. The teen wants more space, freedom, etc. and the parents don't want to let them have it - very typical. I am ISTP and have a 15 1/2 yo daughter and still closely supervise/monitor her. That's the job of a parent - to protect them and continue to teach them until adulthood. I see all 'types' doing that - heck even my own ISFP mother did that! Of course at the time I thought my mother was very controlling and I didn't get it until I was older and a parent myself.

What I'm saying is YES!! - a lot of this is normal. Don't try to grow up too soon - you have the rest of your life for that.