• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[SP] Type most likely to smoke pot?

A

A_priori

Hello SPs, first time posting here and was wondering how many of you guys smoke pot? I know it's kind of a strange subject but I really started to think about it, who really gives a sh*t which type is most likely to drink. Drinking doesn't make you feel anything like pot, pot premotes creativity and for the most part peaceful. I thought I would ask here because i figured there are probably a few pot smoking SP's on this forum who might have something to say about this topic.. :)

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
All types smoke it... I think ISFP might fit the stoner stereotype the best though. At least of the SPs.

citizen cane

ornery ornithologist
MBTI Type
BIRD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
Anyone who's not judgemental enough to make the sweeping generalizations of the above two posters. [MENTION=15886]superunknown[/MENTION] [MENTION=7278]jixmixfix[/MENTION]

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Anyone who values thought.

I dunno, I seem to be pretty good at thinking without smoking pot. I wouldn't say it helped me think, it just made me focus more on sensations in my environment. Like, having a hyperfocus on food or music. That was cool, to a point, but I can get stuff kind of like that through meditation from time to time.

It didn't really help me think of crazy wild ideas, because I seem to be able to do that without it. I suspect it works differently on different people, especially because there are different strains and whatnot.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I dunno, I seem to be pretty good at thinking without smoking pot. I wouldn't say it helped me think, it just made me focus more on sensations in my environment. Like, having a hyperfocus on food or music. That was cool, to a point, but I can get stuff kind of like that through meditation from time to time.

It didn't really help me think of crazy wild ideas, because I seem to be able to do that without it. I suspect it works differently on different people, especially because there are different strains and whatnot.
I have never smoked pot, but I have quite a few friends who I think do. There is a whole movement that altered states heighten consciousness and that there are conspiracies to stop it. Seeing concepts from new perspectives is incredibly important and perhaps some people achieve this with pot. I think there are many ways to achieve altered states without substances. I currently going through an intense form of therapy (EMDR) that uses a technique that is a little different from hypnosis, but definitely creates an altered state in the mind by linking the deep brain, the amygdala, with the frontal cortex. I suspect there are many other ways to explore and connect various parts of the brain w/o substances. Our minds are so full of false assumptions that new perspectives are important.

I would support the legalization of pot and tend to not judge people's personal choices. I think there is a sacred boundary of the personal space I don't have any motivation to start smoking pot, but I suppose there are some circumstances in which I would. I'm not certain what those would be and I'm not planning on putting myself in that position.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I would support the legalization of pot and tend to not judge people's personal choices. I think there is a sacred boundary of the personal space I don't have any motivation to start smoking pot, but I suppose there are some circumstances in which I would. I'm not certain what those would be and I'm not planning on putting myself in that position.

Same here. I just don't like it being put forward as something everyone needs to do.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Cannabis use isn't type related. I've known types across the spectrum who use &/or abuse it.

Having tried it recreationally before- I'm personally not a fan of the high itself- no real "altered states" beyond how it makes me just feel kinda tired (I hate feeling tired/impaired)- but I also tried medical grade marijuana in the past, when I had a migraine either ongoing or coming on, a couple times. A small amount helped with the pain & nausea significantly. I'm going to look into getting my own Rx solely for that purpose eventually. Bake it into cookies/freeze them, strictly for migraine relief, when other things haven't worked. I've even been given IV morphine that didn't touch the pain, so I see this as the lesser "evil," in terms of potentially harmful side fx- not to mention, it's been more effective.

G

Ginkgo

[MENTION=14857]fia[/MENTION]

As a former pot smoker, I question the legitimacy of claims that smoking pot cultivates an otherwise unattainable level of consciousness.

It's not that pot doesn't cultivate anything, per se, but it tends to induce either euphoria/stream of consciousness, or paranoia/inhibited consciousness.

The effects depend on your attitude toward the experience prior to smoking pot; for "pot virgins", this means that there's no way of knowing that you're prepared. The more acclimated you are to the experience, the better. Therefore, having being introduced to other mind-altering drugs as common as alcohol might reduce turbulence.

I can see, then, why the SP temperament might be inclined to experience pot in a more beneficial way their first time, due to the fact that they're more immersed in the present moment. However, there are plenty of counter-points to the idea that SPs are more inclined in general since I'm only addressing a single facet of their cognitive preferences.

The feeling that you're experiencing enlightenment on pot may simply be a consequence of experiencing an otherwise normal thought during the dampened sort of consciousness that prevails during a high. Meaning, at best, if you retain your epiphanies after your high, then you will undergo a gradual revolution in your worldview. The results aren't necessarily superior or inferior to any other body of consciousness, but since you will retain an impression of your previous mindset, you may think you have transcended into an ultimately better plane.

I think personal growth is a fluid process, regardless of whether you smoke pot or not.

/INFP

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
[MENTION=14857]fia[/MENTION]

As a former pot smoker, I question the legitimacy of claims that smoking pot cultivates an otherwise unattainable level of consciousness.

It's not that pot doesn't cultivate anything, per se, but it tends to induce either euphoria/stream of consciousness, or paranoia/inhibited consciousness.

The effects depend on your attitude toward the experience prior to smoking pot; for "pot virgins", this means that there's no way of knowing that you're prepared. The more acclimated you are to the experience, the better. Therefore, having being introduced to other mind-altering drugs as common as alcohol might reduce turbulence.

I can see, then, why the SP temperament might be inclined to experience pot in a more beneficial way their first time, due to the fact that they're more immersed in the present moment. However, there are plenty of counter-points to the idea that SPs are more inclined in general since I'm only addressing a single facet of their cognitive preferences.

The feeling that you're experiencing enlightenment on pot may simply be a consequence of experiencing an otherwise normal thought during the dampened sort of consciousness that prevails during a high. Meaning, at best, if you retain your epiphanies after your high, then you will undergo a gradual revolution in your worldview. The results aren't necessarily superior or inferior to any other body of consciousness, but since you will retain an impression of your previous mindset, you may think you have transcended into an ultimately better plane.

I think personal growth is a fluid process, regardless of whether you smoke pot or not.

/INFP
I wouldn't defend that position, but I have friends who think pot increases consciousness, and I'm just open to the possibility it could do that for them. I consider your position also proof of it not doing that. The only scenario I can think where I would start is if I had a partner who smoked pot, I was having a migraine or other pain, and they were sure it would help. At the point of pain I tend to be willing to try anything to make it stop. I've also heard it causes some people to have headaches, though.

G

Ginkgo

I wouldn't defend that position, but I have friends who think pot increases consciousness, and I'm just open to the possibility it could do that for them. I consider your position also proof of it not doing that. The only scenario I can think where I would start is if I had a partner who smoked pot, I was having a migraine or other pain, and they were sure it would help. At the point of pain I tend to be willing to try anything to make it stop. I've also heard it causes some people to have headaches, though.

Yeah, I would do it with someone you trust. Not that it will put you in a coma where malicious pot smoking evil-doers will pillage your body, but it just helps to know you're in a safe environment.

Honestly, I'm inclined to think that pot only induces headaches if you're abnormally sensitive to smoke inhalation, so ingesting THC some other way would probably be more likely to give you less hassle.

Smoking pot prevails as the most popular form of ingestion because brownies tend to taste like shit, food products tend to only be sold medicinally, and smoking functions as sort of a social ritual.

Like Native Americans 'n' shit.

baccheion

For some reason I associate stoner with INFP, though not all (or even most) INFPs are stoners.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
FPs.

I would wager that 80%-90% of FPs I know have been potheads at one time.

Seymour

Vaguely Precise
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
FPs.

I would wager that 80%-90% of FPs I know have been potheads at one time.

Not me... looks like marijuana use is associated with Big Five Openness (roughly mostly MBTI "N" and a little "P").

One study shows that college-age extraverts tend to engage in more "pro health" activities (with INTP and INFP being the least sporty/pro-health types), but also more drinking, smoking, etc. All shocking, I know. It would be interesting to see if those correlations held true as people aged, because I suspect there would be changes in patterns over time.

Another study found:

[...] individuals with Introverted, Sensing, Feeling, and Perceiving single-factor MBTI preferences respectively were significantly over-represented among the overall group of 90 alcohol/substance-use disorder patients, when compared to the normative population data. Individuals with Extroverted preferences were significantly under-represented, as were those with Intuitive, Thinking, and Judging preferences. As shown in Table 2⇔, the overall patient group significantly more often consisted of Introverted/ Perceiving, Sensing/Feeling, Sensitive/Perceiving, Feeling/Perceiving, Introverted/Sensing, and Introverted/Feeling two-factor types, relative to the normative population. Also, as shown in Table 2⇔, Sensing/Thinking, Intuitive/Thinking, Intuitive/ Judging, Thinking/Judging, Extroverted/Introverted, Extroverted/Thinking, and Introverted/ Thinking two-factor types in the overall patient group were significantly under-represented, when compared to the normative population.

I didn't take the time to look at the studies and methods in detail, so there could easily be flaws in the studies. I wouldn't be surprised if ISFPs were a little over-represented, since I recall they are one of less direct types in dealing with conflicts, and more likely to use distraction/numbing to avoid dealing with problems (which sounds a e9 to me)... which isn't to say we INFPs don't have our issues, too. Also, I believe the above study drew mostly from patients in treatment, which might also be correlated with willingness to seek treatment and/or inability to hide the substance use.

Addendum: I don't like it much, personally. Makes me feel like my mind is slow, which makes me feel e5 defenseless.

W

WALMART

I relate a lot to Carl Sagan, regarding the subject:

http://marijuana-uses.com/mr-x/

"I am convinced that there are genuine and valid levels of perception available with cannabis (and probably with other drugs) which are, through the defects of our society and our educational system, unavailable to us without such drugs. Such a remark applies not only to self-awareness and to intellectual pursuits, but also to perceptions of real people, a vastly enhanced sensitivity to facial expression, intonations, and choice of words which sometimes yields a rapport so close it’s as if two people are reading each other’s minds."

Maybe it does simply affect people differently. It puts me into a state of such mental acuity...

Needless to say, I haven't smoked in about four or so months, and haven't smoked regularly in over a year. Soon I'll be back.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I already act stoned half the time. Don't need any substances for that.

I think it should be legal for recreational use, but it's not my thing. And, my God, it smells nasty nasty nasty. :ack!: