User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Cannabis use isn't type related. I've known types across the spectrum who use &/or abuse it.

Having tried it recreationally before- I'm personally not a fan of the high itself- no real "altered states" beyond how it makes me just feel kinda tired (I hate feeling tired/impaired)- but I also tried medical grade marijuana in the past, when I had a migraine either ongoing or coming on, a couple times. A small amount helped with the pain & nausea significantly. I'm going to look into getting my own Rx solely for that purpose eventually. Bake it into cookies/freeze them, strictly for migraine relief, when other things haven't worked. I've even been given IV morphine that didn't touch the pain, so I see this as the lesser "evil," in terms of potentially harmful side fx- not to mention, it's been more effective.
    03/23 06:06:58 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:06:59 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:21:34 Nancynobullets: LEXXX *sacrifices a first born*
    03/23 06:21:53 Nancynobullets: We summon yooouuu
    03/23 06:29:07 Lexicon: I was sleeping!

04/25 04:20:35 Patches: Don't listen to lex. She wants to birth a litter of kittens. She doesnt get to decide whats creepy

02/16 23:49:38 ygolo: Lex is afk
    02/16 23:49:45 Cimarron: she's doing drugs with Jack

03/05 19:27:41 Time: You can't make chat morbid. Lex does it naturally.

Ginkgo

@fia

As a former pot smoker, I question the legitimacy of claims that smoking pot cultivates an otherwise unattainable level of consciousness.

It's not that pot doesn't cultivate anything, per se, but it tends to induce either euphoria/stream of consciousness, or paranoia/inhibited consciousness.

The effects depend on your attitude toward the experience prior to smoking pot; for "pot virgins", this means that there's no way of knowing that you're prepared. The more acclimated you are to the experience, the better. Therefore, having being introduced to other mind-altering drugs as common as alcohol might reduce turbulence.

I can see, then, why the SP temperament might be inclined to experience pot in a more beneficial way their first time, due to the fact that they're more immersed in the present moment. However, there are plenty of counter-points to the idea that SPs are more inclined in general since I'm only addressing a single facet of their cognitive preferences.

The feeling that you're experiencing enlightenment on pot may simply be a consequence of experiencing an otherwise normal thought during the dampened sort of consciousness that prevails during a high. Meaning, at best, if you retain your epiphanies after your high, then you will undergo a gradual revolution in your worldview. The results aren't necessarily superior or inferior to any other body of consciousness, but since you will retain an impression of your previous mindset, you may think you have transcended into an ultimately better plane.

I think personal growth is a fluid process, regardless of whether you smoke pot or not.

/INFP

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkgo View Post
    @fia

As a former pot smoker, I question the legitimacy of claims that smoking pot cultivates an otherwise unattainable level of consciousness.

It's not that pot doesn't cultivate anything, per se, but it tends to induce either euphoria/stream of consciousness, or paranoia/inhibited consciousness.

The effects depend on your attitude toward the experience prior to smoking pot; for "pot virgins", this means that there's no way of knowing that you're prepared. The more acclimated you are to the experience, the better. Therefore, having being introduced to other mind-altering drugs as common as alcohol might reduce turbulence.

I can see, then, why the SP temperament might be inclined to experience pot in a more beneficial way their first time, due to the fact that they're more immersed in the present moment. However, there are plenty of counter-points to the idea that SPs are more inclined in general since I'm only addressing a single facet of their cognitive preferences.

The feeling that you're experiencing enlightenment on pot may simply be a consequence of experiencing an otherwise normal thought during the dampened sort of consciousness that prevails during a high. Meaning, at best, if you retain your epiphanies after your high, then you will undergo a gradual revolution in your worldview. The results aren't necessarily superior or inferior to any other body of consciousness, but since you will retain an impression of your previous mindset, you may think you have transcended into an ultimately better plane.

I think personal growth is a fluid process, regardless of whether you smoke pot or not.

/INFP
    I wouldn't defend that position, but I have friends who think pot increases consciousness, and I'm just open to the possibility it could do that for them. I consider your position also proof of it not doing that. The only scenario I can think where I would start is if I had a partner who smoked pot, I was having a migraine or other pain, and they were sure it would help. At the point of pain I tend to be willing to try anything to make it stop. I've also heard it causes some people to have headaches, though.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by fia View Post
    I wouldn't defend that position, but I have friends who think pot increases consciousness, and I'm just open to the possibility it could do that for them. I consider your position also proof of it not doing that. The only scenario I can think where I would start is if I had a partner who smoked pot, I was having a migraine or other pain, and they were sure it would help. At the point of pain I tend to be willing to try anything to make it stop. I've also heard it causes some people to have headaches, though.
    Yeah, I would do it with someone you trust. Not that it will put you in a coma where malicious pot smoking evil-doers will pillage your body, but it just helps to know you're in a safe environment.

Honestly, I'm inclined to think that pot only induces headaches if you're abnormally sensitive to smoke inhalation, so ingesting THC some other way would probably be more likely to give you less hassle.

Smoking pot prevails as the most popular form of ingestion because brownies tend to taste like shit, food products tend to only be sold medicinally, and smoking functions as sort of a social ritual.

Like Native Americans 'n' shit.

For some reason I associate stoner with INFP, though not all (or even most) INFPs are stoners.

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

FPs.

I would wager that 80%-90% of FPs I know have been potheads at one time.

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    FPs.

/is not in a position to argue

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    FPs.

Not me... looks like marijuana use is associated with Big Five Openness (roughly mostly MBTI "N" and a little "P").

One study shows that college-age extraverts tend to engage in more "pro health" activities (with INTP and INFP being the least sporty/pro-health types), but also more drinking, smoking, etc. All shocking, I know. It would be interesting to see if those correlations held true as people aged, because I suspect there would be changes in patterns over time.

Another study found:

[...] individuals with Introverted, Sensing, Feeling, and Perceiving single-factor MBTI preferences respectively were significantly over-represented among the overall group of 90 alcohol/substance-use disorder patients, when compared to the normative population data. Individuals with Extroverted preferences were significantly under-represented, as were those with Intuitive, Thinking, and Judging preferences. As shown in Table 2⇔, the overall patient group significantly more often consisted of Introverted/ Perceiving, Sensing/Feeling, Sensitive/Perceiving, Feeling/Perceiving, Introverted/Sensing, and Introverted/Feeling two-factor types, relative to the normative population. Also, as shown in Table 2⇔, Sensing/Thinking, Intuitive/Thinking, Intuitive/ Judging, Thinking/Judging, Extroverted/Introverted, Extroverted/Thinking, and Introverted/ Thinking two-factor types in the overall patient group were significantly under-represented, when compared to the normative population.
    I didn't take the time to look at the studies and methods in detail, so there could easily be flaws in the studies. I wouldn't be surprised if ISFPs were a little over-represented, since I recall they are one of less direct types in dealing with conflicts, and more likely to use distraction/numbing to avoid dealing with problems (which sounds a e9 to me)... which isn't to say we INFPs don't have our issues, too. Also, I believe the above study drew mostly from patients in treatment, which might also be correlated with willingness to seek treatment and/or inability to hide the substance use.

Addendum: I don't like it much, personally. Makes me feel like my mind is slow, which makes me feel e5 defenseless.

WALMART

Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    I dunno, I seem to be pretty good at thinking without smoking pot. I wouldn't say it helped me think, it just made me focus more on sensations in my environment. Like, having a hyperfocus on food or music. That was cool, to a point, but I can get stuff kind of like that through meditation from time to time.

It didn't really help me think of crazy wild ideas, because I seem to be able to do that without it. I suspect it works differently on different people, especially because there are different strains and whatnot.
    I relate a lot to Carl Sagan, regarding the subject:

http://marijuana-uses.com/mr-x/

"I am convinced that there are genuine and valid levels of perception available with cannabis (and probably with other drugs) which are, through the defects of our society and our educational system, unavailable to us without such drugs. Such a remark applies not only to self-awareness and to intellectual pursuits, but also to perceptions of real people, a vastly enhanced sensitivity to facial expression, intonations, and choice of words which sometimes yields a rapport so close it’s as if two people are reading each other’s minds."

Maybe it does simply affect people differently. It puts me into a state of such mental acuity...

Needless to say, I haven't smoked in about four or so months, and haven't smoked regularly in over a year. Soon I'll be back.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

I already act stoned half the time. Don't need any substances for that.

I think it should be legal for recreational use, but it's not my thing. And, my God, it smells nasty nasty nasty.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers