User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ENFP

Default Explanation of Sensing.

God, I am going nuts on this. My best friend is an ISFJ, and we both enjoy MBTI. He is a moderate S, and he understands what N is and is able to engage in the stupid ideas of Intuidom.

I on the other hand, would give my left *** (you know what) to just get a glimpse of what Sensing means, be it internalized or external. I have five senses, and do collect my information through them, but WhoTF doesn't get their info from the outside.

Sure I do have my head up my you know what most of the time and I don't even notice whats going on around me.

I would love to know what its like to be a sensor, if anyone could translate it to laymans, I would much appreciate that.

thank you in advance.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ????

ISFJ's function order: Si Fe Ti Ne Se Fi Te Ni

Linda V. Barens: Dynamics of Personality Type

Essential Characteristics of the Perceiving Processes:

Introverted Sensing (Si)
    - Recalling
    - Linking
    - Comparing and contrasting
    - Noticing Match and Mismatch
    - Past

Extraverted Sensing (Se)
    - Experiencing
    - Doing
    - Observing and Responding
    - Adapting and Varying
    - Present

MBTI
    ENFP

Thanks Alcea, but I read that everywhere, yet my brain can't understand what it really means. I am looking for some very good concrete, maybe metaphorical examples.

You know, dumb it down for me.

veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Ayrab View Post
    Thanks Alcea, but I read that everywhere, yet my brain can't understand what it really means. I am looking for some very good concrete, maybe metaphorical examples.

You know, dumb it down for me.
    I'm all about the dumbing down!

First of all, concrete and metaphorical are like contradictions, man, It's you Ns that are all metaphorical, we suck at it.

Second, we're probly not meant to truly understand our opposites this way, because if we could, we'd be some sort of super-human and always challenging God to contests and stuff like that and God finds that annoying so he divided us into these different types.

Third, if you have the patience, read this thread: Jeffster Rocks Your World!

There's so much sensing in there, it will make your ears spin like solid gold rims. It's like a constant journey through the sensing world, so it will enlighten you on your path to...enlightenment. Or something. And if you still have questions after that, you can always ask me, as I will always do my best to help. In the meantime, try this, bite into a York peppermint patty, and let me know if you get the sensation.
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

MBTI
    INXP

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffster View Post
    I'm all about the dumbing down!

First of all, concrete and metaphorical are like contradictions, man, It's you Ns that are all metaphorical, we suck at it.

Second, we're probly not meant to truly understand our opposites this way, because if we could, we'd be some sort of super-human and always challenging God to contests and stuff like that and God finds that annoying so he divided us into these different types.

Third, if you have the patience, read this thread: Jeffster Rocks Your World!

There's so much sensing in there, it will make your ears spin like solid gold rims. It's like a constant journey through the sensing world, so it will enlighten you on your path to...enlightenment. Or something. And if you still have questions after that, you can always ask me, as I will always do my best to help. In the meantime, try this, bite into a York peppermint patty, and let me know if you get the sensation.
    Well.. he was asking help understanding the sensing of an ISFJ, which is Si. You as an ISFP experience Se, which is quite, quite different!

Enneagram
    1w2

The dichotomies aren't either/or. We routinely use all functions.

All functions can be "abstracted." Abstraction in this case basically means that it can be done unconsciously with very little effort and sensory input; it's done automatically. There are levels within a function being abstracted. Usually our dominant function is the abstracted function and depending on which type theorist you read sometimes the auxiliary can become abstracted. I'm trying to think of some good examples of what abstracted functions look like but my mind is failing me.

The problem with an abstracted function is it's so automatic that it's hard to turn it off or recognize when you're using it, which leads to over reliance>unbalance. When you are able to wield your dominant function with dexterity and consciously shut it down and turn it back on again, you've reached a "higher" (for lack of a better word) level of an abstracted function.

When your friend is using his Si and why you have problems wrapping your mind around what they're doing is because you have to make a concerted effort to access your Si in a useful way. So you think it must be as hard for him to access it. You mostly tap into your Si unconsciously and vaguely. Your personal experiences with Si, whether you've been exposed to positive or negative Si routinely colors they way you access and perceive it. If you've been exposed to mostly negative Si, you'll access it negatively. Positive experiences with Si (or any function for that matter) are accessed neutrally or fondly.

As a Ne dominant, you may vaguely remember how your body reacts to past sensory inputs. You may vaguely recall the importance of your past experiences and how they're relevant to you as you search for possibilities in your environment. Good use of Si in an ENP informs your Ti or Fi of what past experiences to value and which ones have merit, which then tells your Ne when to follow it's nose down a fruitful path. When you actively try to engage your Si it's like trying to twist yourself into a pretzel. Whereas your ISFJ friend's use of Si is crisp and readily available. He doesn't need to pull from the bottom of his toes to get. So for example, he can remember his mother's scrambled eggs being light, fluffy, and flavorful and taste it in his mouth when he gets a whiff of eggs being cooked. His memories are all linked together like that. And it's completely the opposite way when he tried to access his Ne. Alcea Rosea gave a good list of the essentials of Si and Se.

============
    As a completely off-topic statement, doesn't it just feel like Jeffster is having such a funner life than everyone? I mean this as a completely positive statement. I look at one of my ISFP coworkers and sometimes I think is this chick breathing? But then I do a double think and she appears to be so much happier than some of my other coworkers and I think it's genuine happiness. She's not looking for hidden meanings and spooks under rocks. I don't know if she chooses to take people at face value or just does but is that such a bad thing? I know when I interact with my boss, I've had to pretend not to catch what she's saying in order to save myself extra worry. My boss is a N and I know she often sends me messages that she wants me to pick up on without directly saying and that's her general way of communicating with me.

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    Well.. he was asking help understanding the sensing of an ISFJ, which is Si. You as an ISFP experience Se, which is quite, quite different!
    Don't harsh the buzz, man.

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by proteanmix View Post
    The dichotomies aren't either/or. We routinely use all functions.

All functions can be "abstracted." Abstraction in this case basically means that it can be done unconsciously with very little effort and sensory input; it's done automatically. There are levels within a function being abstracted. Usually our dominant function is the abstracted function and depending on which type theorist you read sometimes the auxiliary can become abstracted. I'm trying to think of some good examples of what abstracted functions look like but my mind is failing me.

The problem with an abstracted function is it's so automatic that it's hard to turn it off or recognize when you're using it, which leads to over reliance>unbalance. When you are able to wield your dominant function with dexterity and consciously shut it down and turn it back on again, you've reached a "higher" (for lack of a better word) level of an abstracted function.

When your friend is using his Si and why you have problems wrapping your mind around what they're doing is because you have to make a concerted effort to access your Si in a useful way. So you think it must be as hard for him to access it. You mostly tap into your Si unconsciously and vaguely. Your personal experiences with Si, whether you've been exposed to positive or negative Si routinely colors they way you access and perceive it. If you've been exposed to mostly negative Si, you'll access it negatively. Positive experiences with Si (or any function for that matter) are accessed neutrally or fondly.

As a Ne dominant, you may vaguely remember how your body reacts to past sensory inputs. You may vaguely recall the importance of your past experiences and how they're relevant to you as you search for possibilities in your environment. Good use of Si in an ENP informs your Ti or Fi of what past experiences to value and which ones have merit, which then tells your Ne when to follow it's nose down a fruitful path. When you actively try to engage your Si it's like trying to twist yourself into a pretzel. Whereas your ISFJ friend's use of Si is crisp and readily available. He doesn't need to pull from the bottom of his toes to get. So for example, he can remember his mother's scrambled eggs being light, fluffy, and flavorful and taste it in his mouth when he gets a whiff of eggs being cooked. His memories are all linked together like that. And it's completely the opposite way when he tried to access his Ne. Alcea Rosea gave a good list of the essentials of Si and Se.
    Okay, he said "dumb it down", Nerdlinger.

============
    As a completely off-topic statement, doesn't it just feel like Jeffster is having such a funner life than everyone? I mean this as a completely positive statement. I look at one of my ISFP coworkers and sometimes I think is this chick breathing? But then I do a double think and she appears to be so much happier than some of my other coworkers and I think it's genuine happiness. She's not looking for hidden meanings and spooks under rocks. I don't know if she chooses to take people at face value or just does but is that such a bad thing? I know when I interact with my boss, I've had to pretend not to catch what she's saying in order to save myself extra worry. My boss is a N and I know she often sends me messages that she wants me to pick up on without directly saying and that's her general way of communicating with me.
    Yes, it does sometimes seem like that. I have seen Jeffster in action at work, and I have been able to mind-read this from him:

"Sometimes I think the world has gone completely mad. And then I think, 'Aw, who cares?' And then I think, 'Hey, what's for supper?'"

The ISFP side of Jack Handey? Maybe.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Sensing is, when you are convinced you know everything, cause you have seen everything that is to be considered.

Or Sensing is, when you know everything, because you have seen everything, but are still open for suggestions xD.

Or sensing is, best explained here:
    ENFP

That link really gives detailed insight, you just have to click on the functions.

The most important fact about everything is that everyone is able to (make) sense. Even me
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    ENFP

I suffer from a classic case of HUAS (Head up ass syndrome). How benificial would it be for me to work on my Si? I am very well developed on my Ne, Fi, Te. but thats about it.