• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Explanation of Sensing.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
You Sensors sure notice a lot in a simple picture.

Yeah, I sure noticed a lot.

My thoughts were pretty much "Ooooooh...swirleeeeeeeeeeeeeee"

IEE623

MBTI Type
NeXx
I used to be an S. Well, since they name that function Sensing, it basically has everything to do with your 5 senses. You're an S, then you're down to earth. Everything around you is so vivid. Anything has to do with your senses affects you greatly. You don't get lost in your thoughts, since your thoughts are everything around you, what you see (with your eyes), what you feel (by your touch), what you hear, what you taste, what you smell.
Once I changed to N, I literally haven't noticed things happening around me as much as I did before.
One thing I found very obvious and interesting is that when I was an S, it was super duper hard to listen to music with lyrics if I needed to concentrate to study for my tests/exams. I found myself follow the lyrics of the songs instead of what I needed to read. Therefore, I always either listened to nothing at all or just instrumental music. But as an N now, I need music on the background. Any kind of music. vocal. rock. etc.. But sometime i forget that the music is there. My thoughts or what I'm reading get a hold of me better than the lyrics that I'm listening to.

Now I know what the phrase "head in the clouds" really means :)

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
Did you go through some sort of conversion chamber or something? :huh:

IEE623

MBTI Type
NeXx
haha... it was a phenomenal process that i can't quite explain. i got hooked to mbti and personality types when i was an S. reading keirsey, i pretty much looked up to N people at the time. even though i thought my N friends' thoughts were amazing and stimulating, i often told them that they were unrealistic and asked why they didn't see what i saw and just accept it, why they had to find other possibilities to confuse and give themselves a hard time instead (about certain dramas that happened, and my friends were NFs, not NTs :p).

then one day i changed. please don't ask how. idk. for around two weeks, it just sort of happened. i didn't know i was different at the time though. i started daydreameing a lot (as an NF if u wonder), i listened to music and read more too. THEN i got sick, back to an S. it felt like i fell from the sky down to the ground. my mind could not wander. everything around me caught my attention more. i tried to write short random things, but failed. but then i realized it was no different from what i was way back then. that moment i knew i'd changed to an N for a short amount of time before i got sick. i told my N friends about my N experience. they listened and nodded on a lot of things i said about being an N, but i don't think they truly believed it at the time. i told them it was fun, knowing what its like to be an N for once. i thought i could never experience it again. but after my sickness, i gradually gained back my wandering mind (to an N ^^)

now i can talk to my N friends for hours without feeling that they are too unrealistic. i could understand all their concerns without trying to tell them that their minds are going too far from simple, uncomplicated reality. Yet, now i can't help them like i thought i could as an S. most of their worries sort of "make sense" to me.

-- to my ENFJ friend, about some of her problems, i could help her see a "the bigger picture" .
-- but to my INFP friend, i know her problems, i know i'd act differently if i were her, but somehow i just can't help her solve it. :doh:
-- to my INFJ brother, i stopped nagging him about his neglecting financial matters, forgetting important dates, etc. we understand each other more now. he usually teases me that i'm becoming "more like him" :)
-- to my ESTJ friend. before, i always eagerly agreed to almost everything she said. i liked her being straightforward and realistic. now i listen but don't necessarily agree. i somehow think she's too down to earth, too practical (i still enjoy her companion though). she's the only one to tell me she noticed (or i can say, sensed) that i changed without me telling her about "the switch".

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
Did any other sensors here have to physically touch just about everything when you were a kid? My mom used to comment on how I had to touch everything. I guess I did it more than she thought was normal haha. I'm wondering if that has anything to do with my S function or if that's just growing up and being a kid...

IEE623

MBTI Type
NeXx
Did any other sensors here have to physically touch just about everything when you were a kid? My mom used to comment on how I had to touch everything. I guess I did it more than she thought was normal haha. I'm wondering if that has anything to do with my S function or if that's just growing up and being a kid...

i was the opposite. as an S, i was very sensitive. i was scared of touching almost everything that was "capable of moving by itself" except human lol. i was very afraid of animals. unexpected touch gave me chill. the sound of the mosquitos/flies flying around scared the hell out of me when i was a kid. >_<

Grayscale

MBTI Type
ISTP
If you haven't gotten a good grip on the differences, then..

You know when people say that a picture says more than a thousand words? If sensors could list how they perceive (what they notice, what thoughts come to mind, how much they notice, etc..) the random image below, then you have something to compare with.

http://www.naii.net/NAII Cool Wave.jpg

as soon as i see this, i sense pressure from the wave pushing up a slippery surfboard onto my feet, and the urge to duck my head and maintain balance

if extroverted intuition is grasping the correlation of ideas and imagination, Se is is grasping the correlation of sensory input and physical output of one's surroundings. Se is constantly collecting and analyzing what's going on to a minute degree, allowing for for the best in-the-moment interaction.

i still do! :D

especially things with interesting textures

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
if extroverted intuition is grasping the correlation of ideas and imagination, Se is is grasping the correlation of sensory input and physical output of one's surroundings. Se is constantly collecting and analyzing what's going on to a minute degree, allowing for for the best in-the-moment interaction.
Not exactly but it's a good thought.

The correlation of those sense impressions are the ideas.

Say for instance one sensation is like taking a photograph of a moving train. Everything in the photograph is the sensation (in terms of typology...)

From the picture you can't be sure that it's moving, or if it is, which direction it's moving. You can however tell that there's red paint, a broken light etc. etc.

One intuition would be when you take several pictures, and notice the movement and direction of the train. The paint is forgotten, because the attention was on what it was doing, not on what it was.

We have to remember that none of this happens consciously -- for the perceiving faculty, we don't think "the red paint..." or "the train is heading east, and will continue to head that way, unless the tracks split or... etc." That's all handled by Thinking or Feeling. S and N simply pick up on these things.

You could say that sensing and intuiting pick up materials and package them to be examined and consciously charted by T or F. Internal dialog is composed entirely of judgement functions. No perceptions.

Both sensing and intuiting pick up those components and package them very quickly, and when seeking those specific materials, they don't have time to pick up the other type.

And if they did, then we'd reference them by a different name. Pretty cool how that works huh? We just call it something else if... heh... if it is something else.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
Deleted in good taste.

Last edited:

Usehername

On a mission
Not exactly but it's a good thought.

Can someone explain to me why Nocapszy is an ExxP yet he forms external judgments more often than many extraverted judgers?

(Not disputing his type, but rather seeking an understanding for why. I get the fact that he's extraverted, and that he's a thinker who would rather find clarity than seek harmony, but seriously I don't understand how this gels with the theory.)

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
But I know an ENTP like you IRL who is clearly a P yet makes authoritarian statements like you do.

I truly don't get it. :yes:

What makes you so convinced that they're extraverted judgements? Just because we (sometimes) won't negotiate them?

Usehername

On a mission
What makes you so convinced that they're extraverted judgements? Just because we (sometimes) won't negotiate them?

Well, I guess this is what I'm after. Perhaps my definition of extraverted judgment is what is the problem.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
In my experience, it's always been harder to convince someone that their perceptions are incorrect than it is to convince them that their conclusions are incorrect.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
Je uses objects to make decisions/categories/differentiations etc. (that is in specific reference to Thinking). One example is "left brain vs. right brain" Uses the object as the definition.

Making a decision such as which fret I need to press to make the right note come out, is Ji (most likely Ti).

The subjective part isn't always detectable in statements made by Ps, but it's still "my calculation" under all that Pe veil.