User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ENFJ

Question ISTPs--Shy, Socially Anxious, Reserved?

Any of the above? Tend more toward being ______?

MBTI
    istp

Not shy or socially anxious. I'm not, anyway. Generally reserved. Sometimes very not reserved.
    No offense.

Not shy, can be reserved. Socially anxious? Not really,unless I don't get the context.
    Meeting someone unexpectedly often throws me.

MBTI
    INFJ

My brother is an ISTP, I love him. He can be goofy around me, and never takes things seriously. But when going outside, he doesn't show any affection.

When a little child offered him a piece of candy, he took it without any remorse. When we were about to leave I saw that he sneaked the candy back to the child. I didn't know why he took it in the first place. But it shows me that he doesn't allow intamacy with anyone.

For all the years I've been with him, I havn't see him sharing any emotional bond with anything or anyone. But his motive, most of the times, was meant to do good.
    Likes e.lee.sa liked this post

MBTI
    ABCD
    Enneagram
    4 sx/so
    Socionics
    SEI

Quote Originally Posted by Hang View Post
    My brother is an ISTP, I love him. He can be goofy around me, and never takes things seriously. But when going outside, he doesn't show any affection.

When a little child offered him a piece of candy, he took it without any remorse. When we were about to leave I saw that he sneaked the candy back to the child. I didn't know why he took it in the first place. But it shows me that he doesn't allow intamacy with anyone.

For all the years I've been with him, I havn't see him sharing any emotional bond with anything or anyone. But his motive, most of the times, was meant to do good.
    What? Wow. My ISTP little brother definitely shares emotional bonds with people...cuz he shares one with me!

Those ISTPs are tricky creatures to read. I bet they got tons of stuff going on in their hearts all the time it's just that no one ever sees it.
    Last edited by Sunshine; 07-02-2008 at 09:16 PM.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5x/o

Shy, Socially Anxious, or Reserved?

Sometimes all three! But usually just reserved. I try not to be though, cause then people sometimes think you're implicitly agreeing with them, or else read into silence in all sorts of other strange ways.
    Last edited by Colors; 07-15-2008 at 07:55 PM.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ????

My experience: reserved

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I could see where introverts in general would tend towards all three, as I do, but I don't think shyness and social anxiety are confined to certain types. If anything I think ISTPs would be less prone to the first two than other introverted types, since they tend to worry less about what other people are thinking (I think).

Enneagram
    1w2

My ISTP sister is quite the charmer, prankster and is always looking for the short route. I remember when she was trying to get her driver's license she kept failing the written part of the exam. After the third time, she snuck behind the desk somehow and got a hard copy of the exam, went back to take the exam and turned in that copy! I have so many more stories of her schemes.

It's hard for me to tell because she's my sister and is probably more open with me because I'm family but she doesn't seem shy. She's openly affectionate with us and her ISFJ boyfriend. I know a handful of ISTP women at my workplace and they seem quiet but not particularly shy.

MBTI
    TiSe

I am in agreement with most that I can be reserved. Not socially anxious at all. But this reminds me of something that I have read about INTJ, INFJ, ISTP and ISTJ who have all been described as introverts that are most misidentified as extraverts. I wonder whether the Chart the Course interaction style comes into play here? Maybe if Eric B picks up on this thread he can answer that since he seems to have a good grasp of Berens' system.