User Tag List

First 34567 Last

Results 41 to 50 of 71

  1. #41
    Member yugyug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    MBTI
    I?TP
    Posts
    38

    Default

    Socially Anxious? Only when having to make a public speech.
    Shy? Not really. That's my sister (INFJ).
    Reserved? Definitely.

    I have the superpower of invisibility, too. Nice feature.

  2. #42
    Member FrisbeeLad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Posts
    37

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine View Post
    Those ISTPs are tricky creatures to read. I bet they got tons of stuff going on in their hearts all the time it's just that no one ever sees it.
    That is one of the best quotes regarding ISTPs and emotions that I've seen in awhile from a non-ISTP on this forum.

    Except...I'd change "all the time" to "often". It's not like we're full of drama, but there can definitely be a serious depth of emotion dwelling (hiding) in there.

  3. #43
    Senior Member millerm277's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Posts
    978

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine View Post
    Those ISTPs are tricky creatures to read. I bet they got tons of stuff going on in their hearts all the time it's just that no one ever sees it.
    I'd missed this, but it's very true. Combining our distrust of our emotions/how rapidly they can change, with the "reserved" traits of ours, means that 99% of our emotions stay inside.
    I-95%, S-84%, T-89%, P-84%

  4. #44
    Senior Member ptgatsby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Posts
    4,474

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Anja View Post
    He has a diagnosed case of Social Anxiety Disorder.

    Very quiet, but a true barrel o' laffs. He watches a group he is in and slips in little clever quips and unless you're listening closely you'll miss the joke.

    He has the power of invisibility and can enter and leave a room with no one noticing. When he was little, someone was always saying, "Hey! Where did Matt go?"

    Edit: The family was once eating in a restaurant together and the waitress nearly sat in his lap to attract his attention. She eavesdropped and picked up his name so every time she came to the table, she'd adress him, doin' the eye thing and the whole nine yards.

    We were all going, "Matt, Matt. Ask her for her phone number."

    He said he couldn't tell whether she liked him or not!
    Mom? Is that you?

    All jokes aside, that's a page out of my life. I also have social anxiety. I don't have too many issues being open with those I care about - my wife, sometimes family... but my version of "open" is not other people's, including my wife. I have way worse stories than the waitress story above... I was shockingly dense about female interest in me

    You know you have issues when your INTJ mate complains about you never opening up

    What is really going on inside just never comes out. That's the only way I can put it. Only once I feel comfortable can I let anything out. This is strangely at odds with how people see me - generally uncaring what other people think. The only times I really become myself, rather than hold myself back, is when I'm in the moment. Tends to be when I'm competing at something, or designing... When competing, I tend to relax, let my guard down, live in the moment. When designing, I'm more like a kid. A really annoying kid

  5. #45
    Senior Member INTJMom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    5,349

    Default

    I have 2 ISTP makes in my family.
    They are kind of shy and reserved unless they are with people they know well.
    Once they're comfortable, they are funny and easy to be with.

  6. #46
    nevermore lane777's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    635

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Colors View Post
    That's SO true about me. Mind-reading, quite. I don't know though. People don't seem to like either me. I'm too aggressive or too quiet- nobody's fooled either way.
    I've noticed this with my ISTP buddy... very bold and in my face some days - then other days, so quiet I have to beat words out of him. I like him either way ... When he's aggressive, I get attention When he's quiet... I blab (not something I'm known for). I guess I find it fascinating, that side he brings out in me. But then I end up saying too much which has never been a problem for me before. It's just that I'm so thrown by his reserve, I become fully focused on figuring him out, I lose my guard and... and... I let secrets slip :blushing:

    To die would be an awfully big adventure - Peter Pan

    INFJ ~ 4w5 sp/sx ~ RLOAI ~ Inclusion e/w=1/0 (Melancholy Compulsive) Control: e/w=0/6 (Supine) Affection: e/w=4/0 (Phlegmatic Melancholy)

  7. #47
    Senior Member millerm277's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Posts
    978

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lane777 View Post
    When he's quiet... I blab (not something I'm known for). I guess I find it fascinating, that side he brings out in me. But then I end up saying too much which has never been a problem for me before. It's just that I'm so thrown by his reserve, I become fully focused on figuring him out, I lose my guard and... and... I let secrets slip :blushing:
    This is probably half-intentional. I've never failed so far at getting to know what I wanted and more from someone, without them even realizing it. The good news for you, is that we keep our mouths shut...we just like to know stuff, for our own knowledge.

    Also, if you aren't giving up what we want to know, we're very patient and good with "innocent" questions that we add up to get the picture we were trying to figure out.
    I-95%, S-84%, T-89%, P-84%

  8. #48
    nevermore lane777's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    635

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by millerm277 View Post
    This is probably half-intentional. I've never failed so far at getting to know what I wanted and more from someone, without them even realizing it. The good news for you, is that we keep our mouths shut...we just like to know stuff, for our own knowledge.

    Also, if you aren't giving up what we want to know, we're very patient and good with "innocent" questions that we add up to get the picture we were trying to figure out.
    Yeees I discovered early on you ISTP's are quite crafty. Knowing that hasn't helped much. I catch myself mid sentence and quickly clam up... but he won't let me get away with it

    And getting people to talk is MY thing ....having the tables turned is... well...
    To die would be an awfully big adventure - Peter Pan

    INFJ ~ 4w5 sp/sx ~ RLOAI ~ Inclusion e/w=1/0 (Melancholy Compulsive) Control: e/w=0/6 (Supine) Affection: e/w=4/0 (Phlegmatic Melancholy)

  9. #49
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    472

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lane777 View Post
    I've noticed this with my ISTP buddy... very bold and in my face some days - then other days, so quiet I have to beat words out of him. I like him either way ... When he's aggressive, I get attention When he's quiet... I blab (not something I'm known for). I guess I find it fascinating, that side he brings out in me. But then I end up saying too much which has never been a problem for me before. It's just that I'm so thrown by his reserve, I become fully focused on figuring him out, I lose my guard and... and... I let secrets slip :blushing:

    Good thing for you I have no use for your secrets

    Other than my own curiosity of course...

  10. #50
    nevermore lane777's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    635

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by phoenity View Post
    Good thing for you I have no use for your secrets

    Other than my own curiosity of course...
    *runs away screaming*
    To die would be an awfully big adventure - Peter Pan

    INFJ ~ 4w5 sp/sx ~ RLOAI ~ Inclusion e/w=1/0 (Melancholy Compulsive) Control: e/w=0/6 (Supine) Affection: e/w=4/0 (Phlegmatic Melancholy)

Similar Threads

  1. the difference between being shy and being reserved
    By prplchknz in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 11-03-2013, 03:03 AM
  2. [NT] Are you shy or reserved?
    By danseen in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-31-2013, 05:52 PM
  3. [ISTP] ISTP Sites
    By sassafrassquatch in forum The SP Arthouse (ESFP, ISFP, ESTP, ISTP)
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 07-20-2012, 09:30 AM
  4. [ISTP] ISTPs... I have a question.
    By INTJMom in forum The SP Arthouse (ESFP, ISFP, ESTP, ISTP)
    Replies: 57
    Last Post: 12-31-2009, 03:19 PM
  5. [ISTP] ISTP description for hiddenpsyche
    By meanlittlechimp in forum The SP Arthouse (ESFP, ISFP, ESTP, ISTP)
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 12-21-2009, 02:41 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO