First 1234 Last

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ????

Quote Originally Posted by "?" View Post
    But this reminds me of something that I have read about INTJ, INFJ, ISTP and ISTJ who have all been described as introverts that are most misidentified as extraverts.
    I agree with this. In fact, I have been wondering the type of one introvert in the family for many years now. He is ISTP, ISTJ or INTJ. He is very unlikely INTP and very unlikely any F type. There is a huge difference between Ti, Si and Ni but I really cannot see his primary function. The secondary functions (Se, Te, Te) don't help either. Secondary is rather Te than Se but I still cannot see it. I have ruled other personality types mostly out of the picture. Introverted people can be soooooo difficult to understand.

MBTI
    TiSe

Quote Originally Posted by Alcea Rosea View Post
    I agree with this. In fact, I have been wondering the type of one introvert in the family for many years now. He is ISTP, ISTJ or INTJ. He is very unlikely INTP and very unlikely any F type. There is a huge difference between Ti, Si and Ni but I really cannot see his primary function. The secondary functions (Se, Te, Te) don't help either. Secondary is rather Te than Se but I still cannot see it. I have ruled other personality types mostly out of the picture. Introverted people can be soooooo difficult to understand.
    I like this thought Alcea, which goes along with my thoughts that contrary to theory the functions are not that easy to determine. As for the ISTP-ITJ family member, Berens says that Ni/Ti, and Se/Te are look-a-like functions. In my earlier thread, I was alluding to Berens' interaction style. Since all fore types mentioned are of that style, the reason for the extraverted appearance may lie with it.

I haven't met an ISTP I didn't like.

They're warm, congenial, very smart people who can intuit what needs to be done before you even ask!

I adore ISTPs. They're also creative, very technically oriented and problem solve really easily. Working with them is easy. I wish more people were ISTPs.

ISFPs, on the other hand are very different. They always seem cold and unfeeling at first, mainly because society has taught them to hide their feelings, and to act more "rational". ISTPs in comparison are very communicative about their feelings and don't hold back on the analysis.
    Likes e.lee.sa liked this post

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by "?" View Post
    I am in agreement with most that I can be reserved. Not socially anxious at all. But this reminds me of something that I have read about INTJ, INFJ, ISTP and ISTJ who have all been described as introverts that are most misidentified as extraverts. I wonder whether the Chart the Course interaction style comes into play here? Maybe if Eric B picks up on this thread he can answer that since he seems to have a good grasp of Berens' system.
    I had just been in a discussion on another board with an ISFP talking about appearing extroverted. That type, along with the ISTP and INTJ you mentioned, are Pragmatic, which I had pointed out would add a measure of "expressiveness", and thus possibly appear extroverted. (Pragmatic or utilitarian is defined as "do what works", as opposed to "do what's right", so they would be quicker to do things, and then ask permission later).

Chart the Course is defined as "introverted" (along with "directing"), so you would expect the to be more reserved. But then, it is sometimes pointed out that "introversion" (as defined by having a dominant inward-turened cognitive function) does not always mean "shy" or "quiet". It simply means they are energized by the inner world. Berens' basic descriptions in her book on the Interaction Styles does not even specifically mention stuff like "quietness" or "shyness". (The portrait does mention being "private"). Yet, the inner focus usually does play out in them being more reserved.
    Now, why the INFJ and ISTJ (who are cooperative) are included in that list (as well as it leaving off ISFP, along with INTP), I'm not sure.

So really, anybody of any type can appear extroverted, for whatever reason. Perhaps with the IJ's, it's more reactive. Like my father seems to be ISTJ, and to me growing up, he seemed pretty "extroverted". But that's because I was under his care, and basically on his turf. Now, he definitely fits the typical portrait of an "introvert". So perhaps it could be the aux. Te for the ITJ's. With the INFJ, it could be the Fe, but then that would also mean the INFJ. Perhaps the Ni has something to do with it as well?
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas

MBTI
    istp

i can definitely be reserved, although most of the time it's that i dont have anything to say or no reason to say it. the only social awkwardness tends to exist in others, especially when im intensely quiet (i suspect this makes especially extroverted people uncomfortable). lastly, im far from shy, although ive been incorrectly described as such a handful of times.

MBTI
    ISTP

In formal settings (school, work) or with a group of people I don't know well, I am very reserved, mostly because I have nothing to say. I am definitely not socially anxious or shy, as I have no problem with public speaking or talking to new people....it's just not something I go out of my way to do.
    I-95%, S-84%, T-89%, P-84%

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ????

Quote Originally Posted by Algora J View Post
    They're warm, congenial, very smart people who can intuit what needs to be done before you even ask!
    I don't get the warm feeling from ISTP's. I would call ESFJ or ENFJ a warm person.

MBTI
    TiSe

Thanks for your insights Eric. I will have to digest your thoughts and respond later. I do agree that extraverts can appear introverted and vice-versa, which is why dichotomies are so misleading. I did notice that no one has mentioned a word that Jung used quite often in describing introverts; tactiturn (which loosely connoted I guess may be parallel to being reserved).

Shy - not really.

Social Anxiety - depends on the situation. If I'm going to be forced to socialize in a large crowd, with strangers, schmoozing, around a lot of extraverts then I may have some of that.

Reserved - definately though once I know people WELL, then I will open up to some extent. I've been trying to explore why I'm so reserved because it's really hindering my ability to make friends, and feel that I'm part of something. I tend to feel like an outsider much of the time but I know it's my fault because I can't take the next step and connect with people.

MBTI
    istp

I'm gonna say reserved, everything else is a lie as any type can be shy or socially anxious.

My dick is hard.