• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISTP] Is ISTP the Most Intuitive of All the sensors?

Is ISTP the Most Intuitive of All the sensors?

• Total voters

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I would think they could be, since they have INFJ functions, the most super-intuitive of all the types, albeit in a different order, but of course, I could be wrong, and hence I need external input from the various members of the forum.

I think though that there is evidence in my favor, as of all the sensors on this forum, it seems that ISTPs are definately the most logical and NT-like, as well as the most interested in debates of a philosophical nature, so am I right?

zago

MBTI Type
INTP
By definition, no. ISTPs have tertiary N, making them no more or less inclined toward intuition than anyone else with tertiary N.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
By definition, no. ISTPs have tertiary N, making them no more or less inclined toward intuition than anyone else with tertiary N.

But what if an N function augemented by Ti has better powers, like it could give it an extra depth of focus or something I would think.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
They might tie with ISFPs who also have tertiary Ni. :) Otherwise, yes the ISPs are the most intuitive I would vote.

zago

MBTI Type
INTP
But what if an N function augemented by Ti has better powers, like it could give it an extra depth of focus or something I would think.

Na, it doesn't work like that. N is N. ISTPs might be the smartest (in the traditional sense) sensors, though, if that's what you mean. Having dominant Ti is indeed something that contributes to that because Ti lends itself to big-picture impersonal analysis. The only other sensor with a dominant T function is the ESTJ, and perhaps they come close the ISTP in terms of traditional intelligence, but experientially I have not found that to be the case.

Standuble

Your argument rests on the premises that INFJ would be the most intuitive type even though there is nothing to say that Ni is more intuitive than Ne.

I have encountered both ISP types and in the correct environment both can come across as quite intuitive (even if mine thinks they have come to incorrect conclusions) and the ISPs I work with do seem to like a bit of woo now and again (though much more the ISTP than ISFP.) ESJs have a good use of Ne in my experience as well (though its scope seems too limited for me to enjoy.)

I would say they are both about equal. I don't think Ti is more or less intuitive than Fi.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
^ I do actually think Ni generally is a more "pure" form of iNutuition than Ne.

I'd say ISFPs tend to be. ISTPs can have really brilliant flashes of intuitive insight but I think the more linear nature of Ti somewhat restricts the operation of non-linear Ni, whereas F is more mutable.

sLiPpY

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm not sure how Intuition is defined. However, I constantly and unknowingly store random bits and pieces of information. Based upon those random bits and pieces, I've been able to successfully predict all kinds of future trends and eventual happenings. Along with putting together logical and immediate solutions for present problems, that address more longer term needs. Even though I live n the present, and thinking abstractly about the future makes my head hurt. :unsure:

jixmixfix

Permabanned
I find that Ni for me is quite strong especially as I keep getting older I'm able to really see patterns that become more and more predictable. I also have a general interest in abstract weird shit sometimes like UFO's, quantum physics, space and the universe which I find are all Ni related.

W

WALMART

I do not think they are the most habitually intuition engaging. That award would maybe go to ESFP or some other SF. I do think they and ESTP's are the most efficient of the entire spectrum at utilizing intuition, between mental and physical tasks.

Sunny Ghost

I don't know... there are a lot of ISFP/ENFP/INFJ mix ups with self typing, and I think it's because of the likeliness of ISFP's to want to utilize intuition more, and of ENFP's and INFJ's desire for sensually/aesthetically pleasing experiences. However, I've also known an ESFJ who thought she was an INTP. The ESxJ's also have tertiary Ne.

Dragonfly

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Keep in mind, ISTP's are famous for having the Ti/Ni loop, which as i have observed with myself brings them both into an even plane, probably why we often mistype as INTJ's.

Alea_iacta_est

Keep in mind, ISTP's are famous for having the Ti/Ni loop, which as i have observed with myself brings them both into an even plane, probably why we often mistype as INTJ's.

It's a fairly common mistype, and I've witnessed it in several people I know.
ISTP's Se can simulate a pseudo-Te in the Ti-Se mechanism, meaning that they might appear heavy Te when it is actually Se in overdrive. The difference is that the ISTP will be much more aggressive and will make sense of the data they are provided and decide on what is rationalized internally. Usually the asshole-ish people that seem like INTJ can sometimes be ISTPs with a better grip on Ni, and in Socionics, the ISTj Hidden Agenda Ni will sometimes inflate Ni to a power much like the Dominant function. (Though, it is often called the 'Pathetic' Hidden Agenda, so usually it is seen as amusing by Ego block Ni users)

I've heard before that ISTPs are the most intuitive sensor, but honestly, I think the ISFP is much more intuitive-inclined by nature, especially when the ISFP is a Type 9 (one of its more common enneatypes), which completely stifles and confuses aux. Se, meaning that the Fi-Ni mechanism will develop and kick into place as a crutch for the ambivalent, hesitant Type 9 Se. I am also of the opinion that certain individuals in a type may be more intuitive than others, meaning that there could be an ESTP with exceptional introverted intuition compared to that of a poorly developed ENTJ, for instance.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think that ultimately it will vary from sensor to sensor, depending on how well-developed and oft-used their intuition functions are--I don't think there is any one SP type that is more intuitive, although it seems the introverted ones generally mistype as N types more frequently than their ESP counterparts.

W

WALMART

Feeling is closer in line with intuition, as is introversion, and as such, I would say ISFx types to be closest to something resembling an intuitive type.

I see I've already participated, but you're getting my opinion again.

L

LadyLazarus

What do you mean by the most intuitive sensor? That is to say, which form of intuition are you referring to in regards to the functions?

In all actuality, it depends what you mean by intuitive, Ni or Ne? IMO, the most Ni sensor would have to be ISFP, while the most Ne sensors would have to be the ESxJ's. ISTP's like ISFP's also possess tertiary Ni, however, they would not be the most Ni of the two ISP's because their Ti seems to rely on deductive reasoning, which I see as opposite/ greatly differing from Ni's inductive reasoning(at least this is how I somewhat think of Ni, but I could be wrong as I've also seen Te referred to as inductive reasoning), as well as being too much a straight line of reasoning, which isn't something I see intuition in either form as being.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
No, ISFPs are.

Both have tertiary Ni, but dominant Fi works better (more readily, less conflictedly) with Ni than does dominant Ti.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
No, ISFPs are.

Both have tertiary Ni, but dominant Fi works better (more readily, less conflictedly) with Ni than does dominant Ti.

m5T4JYK.gif

A

Anew Leaf

I have an ISTP friend that I thought was INTJ at first just because she is so good at deducing the end result of events, and how clearly she sees patterns. However, she is far too mechanically inclined and in the moment present to be such a type.

ISFPs come close as well, but I haven't had as much experience with them for some reason. Ani Difranco would be a good example of one however.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I have an ISTP friend that I thought was INTJ at first just because she is so good at deducing the end result of events, and how clearly she sees patterns. However, she is far too mechanically inclined and in the moment present to be such a type.

ISFPs come close as well, but I haven't had as much experience with them for some reason. Ani Difranco would be a good example of one however.

I always think of David Bowie as a good ISFP example. He could easily be mistaken for an intuitive, at first glance.