• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[SP] SP's handling boredom

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm thinking about a few SP's I know and they absolutely CAN NOT handle being bored, especially when they are alone. They seem to go bonkers and almost panic, even the introverted ones, and they have to DO something and end up doing something crazy (lol, jk). Anyways, this reaction to boredom could be because they get anxious about something? What do you think? Is this a common SP trait or am I imagining it?

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
My ESFP room mate is like this, but i don't know how common it is among SPs I don't know if I know a lot of SPs or not, I only type people I'm extremely close to

jryn1993

MBTI Type
ISTP
I can kind of relate to that. I hate not doing anything, it feels like I'm wasting time I'll never get back. If it's just a short term thing it's not that bad, but if it's like a chronic condition it can get very depressing.

W

WALMART

I feel I am in perpetual physical motion. I prefer to stand often times to sitting, and I prefer to pace to standing still.

It's like my mind is spinning its wheels, and only through the motion of my body do I find traction.

MBTI Type
Mann
Gotta be doing something. I have been stuck at home for a few days and I'm getting antsy. Been doing little nothings to keep me moving, but I am running out of things to do.

Not sure of SP status but boredom makes me anxious and then cranky and then sad. I also tend to get and stay bored more frequently if I'm on the verge of a depressive episode, so it's something I need to address immediately.

Have to stay engaged or I'll turn into a vegetable.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I used to get the "ants in my pants" syndrome more before but I get it less now.

StephMC

Controlled Mischief
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Not implying he's an SP, but I could relate to the manifestation of his boredom. In a less violent way. More like... I'll just lazily knock everything off of a counter and then just lay on the floor until the boredom goes away.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I made a Facebook status one day that said, "I'm restless and lazy. I need something to do but when I find out what it is, I'm not gonna do it."

That about sums it up.

I find when I'm alone I don't have much restlessness. When I'm with people, I need to be doing something.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
I get pretty anxious and restless if I go too long without anything to do. That's when I start driving around aimlessly for excessive periods of time...or drinking, or smoking. Or even eating too much. Or exercising too much. It's always something physical.

My ESFP sister is 1000x worse about this, too. She can't even enjoy one peaceful day without going crazy and (best case scenario) annoying and pestering everyone, or (worst case) binge drinking to a frightening extent.

jixmixfix

Permabanned
I always loved being alone especially when no one is home I love blasting music.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
I'm thinking about a few SP's I know and they absolutely CAN NOT handle being bored, especially when they are alone. They seem to go bonkers and almost panic, even the introverted ones, and they have to DO something and end up doing something crazy (lol, jk). Anyways, this reaction to boredom could be because they get anxious about something? What do you think? Is this a common SP trait or am I imagining it?

No, of course you're not imagining it.

"Boredom is another source of stress for Artisans. When under stress, they can become reckless, and they may retaliate against the source of the stress."

"Artisans can easily become bored with routine, liking action and variation, and almost always want to be doing something."

"According to Berens, those who express the Artisan temperament strongly are stressed by feelings of constraint or boredom..."

"SPs can easily become bored with the status quo..."

Those are just a few quotes it took me a minute to find. ;)

sLiPpY

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I always loved being alone especially when no one is home I love blasting music.

Yup, I'd rather be alone at home blasting music vs. sharing time blasting music with someone I feel like I've got to entertain or is a major suck on the chill factor.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
It's hard. Eating, drinking, traveling, wandering, doing absolutely careless things. I'm really glad I'm an Fi type and averse to "illegal" (at least as far as illegal applies OUTSIDE of the adult entertainment industry, I was sent home once from a topless bar for dancing too close to a customer) because otherwise I'd be a trainwreck.

I sometimes feel like Fi is what saves me from all that is evil and that is ill and destructive, and if I were an Se dom, I'd be some kind of soulless troglodyte.

I'm already bad at doing things I say I'm going to do (like staying off the forum).

Me and Jackson Browne go way back, though, I think Jackson Brown knows all about SP boredom, but it's Fi drawbacks (I don't ever want to see him typed as ENFP again, nor myself).

I think I'm really grateful I had nurturing parents who encouraged me to read and learn and value education, and that I do things like plan awesome trips to new places instead of doing things like snorting crystal meth.

I'm glad I want to replicate things in books, and not be a self-destructive party girl.

ISFP is like the more "intellectual" or "NF" SP though.

The ISFP is like the NF who loves wine and fine food and random sex.

People say that's the ENFP. No, it's the ISFP.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
Good post, Marm. I'm working on not being a soulless troglodyte myself. ;)

jixmixfix

Permabanned
Yup, I'd rather be alone at home blasting music vs. sharing time blasting music with someone I feel like I've got to entertain or is a major suck on the chill factor.

+1 aka the douchbags at the clubs who put on so much hairspray it would entertain you to light a match and watch that shit go KABOOM!.