• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Shy

Sunshine

MBTI Type
ABCD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Are you shy?

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
Not anymore. I was very shy when I was a kid. Now I think I am still reserved, but I wouldn't call it shy, really. Or maybe it is shy.

Crap, I dunno, stop asking me hard questions. :laugh:

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
No
I'm starting to think i'm an ENFJ

LOL ?

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx

lol.jpg

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
LOL

But shy is just lack of confidence in a certain area
which excludes introvert and extrovert

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
I think I am very confident in some situations and not very confident in others. So, I guess you could say I'm shy in those unfamiliar situations, but I usually prefer to think of it as detached.

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
detached as a coping mechanism for the shyness(anxiety) ?

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
detached as a coping mechanism for the shyness(anxiety) ?

Hmmm, maybe, but I don't really think so. For instance, if someone somehow roped me into going to some loud nightclub, not the kind of place I like, I would not be jumping on the dance floor shaking my booty but I would still be taking everything in around me, observing and perceiving the sounds, smells, looks, etc. So I would be detached, I would generally want to leave, but I wouldn't be panicking, I would just be withdrawn. Hopefully that makes some sort of sense. :)

Firelie

Magical
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
I used to be shy when I was little, but that was mainly because we moved every few years so I was always "the new kid". I'm not shy any longer, but people still think I am because I don't talk a lot and don't go out of my way to interact with others...

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
perfect....and ditto

some have said that i'm the life of the party, but in a subtle way
which is why i have been considering ENFJ for my type
however unlikely it may be

aeon

Potoumchka
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
In a word, no.

cheers,
Ian

Anonymous

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
I have social anxiety to some extent. If that's shyness, than yes, but otherwise, no, not really.

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
I assume we're asking this of introverts in general? Both Jung and Myers-Briggs notes that E/I has no bearing on being gregarious or shy, but where you focus your energy. I am not and have never been, shy. I have always been reserved.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yes, bordering on social anxiety (in my uneducated opinion, that is, which means nothing).

Separate from this, I'm also fairly reserved in the introvert sense, but much less so.

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
Not much now. When I was a youngster, yep.

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
No. I used to be. But people are mean to shy people, so I turned into an obnoxious person. But people are mean to obnoxious people, so I just was myself.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I'm shy. What I hate when people tell me to get over my shyness, if it were that easy :rolleyes:

grendiecat

MBTI Type
ENFJ
me as an enfj--not a shy bone in my body, no fear. i have a friend who is an infj and i don't think he's shy--just quiet and more reserved. i also have an istp friend and i'm on the fence about whether i think he's shy--sometimes he seems nervous socially, but can't really figure out if that's shy or just introverted. I think there is a huge difference between being shy and being introverted. shy implies some social anxiety/discomfort, but I think introverts can be that as a matter of choice. any other istps going to weigh in/ Introverts?

placebo

MBTI Type
INFP
Yes, in general I'm pretty shy, but I think I'm pretty good at hiding it (nervousness) when I know I have to socialize with people. I often tend to just say to myself, 'okay it's not a big deal, just do it.'