First 56789 Last

Thread: Shy

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

I'm fairly socially awkward and reserved which leads me to shy away from people at times.

MBTI
    ABCD
    Enneagram
    4 sx/so
    Socionics
    SEI

Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan View Post
    I'm fairly socially awkward and reserved which leads me to shy away from people at times.
    Same.

I relax and open up a little if everyone around me is kind and friendly though.

On the whole I'm very shy though. Not that that stops me. If underneath my layer of shyness is a desire to go to whatever social event then I go. I used to let my shyness rule me but the more I face my shyness head on and the more I'm around people the less shy I get and the better I feel.

Slightly OT comment: I think that for those of us who are shy to an extreme (I used to be) that if we're at a point in which we aren't going to be comfortable around strangers any time soon that it's a good idea for us to accept it. One of my major problems when dealing with my shyness years ago was that I didn't accept it about myself. I rejected it. But later on I realized that I needed to accept it and it felt so much better. When I was in a situation that caused me to feel shy I would internally aknowledge my shyness and tell myself that it was ok for me to feel that way. That really helped.

MBTI
    ISTP

As a child I was the epitome of shy. Now I'm more reserved, but usually only noticeably so in situations where I feel under pressure to adhere to some sort of social expectation (job interviews, meeting distant relatives, etc).

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

I'm shy when I meet people for the first time so I just smile and giggle a lot until I know them

MBTI
    STP

I am always told that I am very quiet. Its a combination of shy, ISTP, and introvert. When I first meet you its that I am shy. After that if I have no interest in the topic at hand my ISTP personality just zones me out. If I am interested my introvertedness keeps me in my head about what is being said. So I really dont say much unless I know you, I like you, and we have common interests.

MBTI
    esfp
    Enneagram

I am shy when I'm in a large group or when I meet people for the first time, too. I tend to giggle a lot as well. Once I get to know people, they probably wonder what happened to the quiet giggler. I can be a motormouth and I am not at all reserved. On the other hand, I am not a gregarious take-the-initiative in social situations type of person so I suppose that's what makes me an introvert.
    I'd love to have feedback.
    (I tend to pout when I feel ignored...)

Quote Originally Posted by shortnsweet View Post
    I'm shy when I meet people for the first time so I just smile and giggle a lot until I know them

MBTI
    ISFP

With individuals, once I get to know them a bit, no.
    With groups, always, there is too much happening for me to focus on and I'm not good at seeing a group of people as a kind of single entity like some people seem to be able to do, and relate in that way to it.

MBTI
    esfp
    Enneagram

Tell me more about how you see a group.
    I see too many people, hear too much noise (especially when there are a lot of competing conversations... and I can't filter out background noise so I get overstimulated)... and it's just too chaotic for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mallow View Post
    With individuals, once I get to know them a bit, no.
    With groups, always, there is too much happening for me to focus on and I'm not good at seeing a group of people as a kind of single entity like some people seem to be able to do, and relate in that way to it.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram

Well my job doesn't really give me the option to be shy so i'd have to say no! But I hate going to clubs (unless there's good music) and parties and even some family events..but you put me in a training room and it's all eyes on me

MBTI
    ISFP

Quote Originally Posted by Walking Tourist View Post
    Tell me more about how you see a group.
    I see too many people, hear too much noise (especially when there are a lot of competing conversations... and I can't filter out background noise so I get overstimulated)... and it's just too chaotic for me.
    Pretty much the same way you do.
    But when I was instructed on giving speeches, etc, I was told to imagine that everyone is just a pumpkin and you're talking to a field of pumpkins, or a bunch of ants.
    I suppose it was meant to calm anxiety but it never worked for me.

When the attention of a group of people is on me I wilt like the wallflower that I am.
    If they wish to see me in full bloom they must do so out of the corners of their eyes when the group's attention is primarily focused on something else.