User Tag List

12 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 14

  1. #1
    Post Human Post Qlip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    9,472

    Default flighty ISFP girl

    Well, she's actually a woman.. Just wanted to get some points of view on this...

    There's an ISFP I really just adore who has a long distance boyfriend, and their relationship is on the rocks. You could say that I have a crush on her, and she knows it and also I know she enjoys my company. The crush itself is amazing, very dreamy, magical, almost platonic feeling.. almost. I find myself just wanting to be around her, just to be around her.

    Getting to know her has been a very slow process. The only reason I was able to get in her good graces in the first place was because I met her when she was drunk, a rare incident, and we had some deep conversation. And I subletted a room at her place for a couple of weeks, and was able to show her I'm a sensitive, reliable dude (Yes, an ENFP who's reliable), which she values, and I was there to help out when she got sick. If that hadn't happened, I wouldn't have ever caught up with her.. she never stays still enough to really get to know.

    So, lately it's been pretty touch and go. She'll invite my places and then the plans will be canceled, I show up randomly, she looks put out, but warms up at the end and says she hopes to see me again, only to be put out again when I show up. The last time I hung out with her, I kinda just showed up at my good friend's house where the ISFP was crashing, because I legitimately needed a getaway for the day, and I didn't mind having an excuse to hang out with her. She bolted for most of that day, I'm sure she thought it was very rude of me (and said so in coded language), but by the end of the night we were watching TV on the couch with her leg up on me.

    So, I know ISFPs are supposed to be a little flighty, but I'm going to assume that maybe she is more so because of the boyfriend. Also, I know she is just flighty with guys in general, having bad past relationship experiences. This is why she has an LD relationship, she has said so herself. I feel like I'm getting to the point where I might be end up being obnoxiously intrusive.

    So, I *think* I'm going to back off, and only come hang in incidental group settings. But, do ISFPs ever get to the point where they take the initiative to show they actually want to spend time with someone they like and actually show up? Or will it always have to me trying to pounce or nonchalantly floating in at just the right moment in time?

  2. #2
    Twerking & Lurking ayoitsStepho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w3 so/sx
    Posts
    4,836

    Default

    May I just say that I think you should be extremely careful to not allow your emotions to be entangled in her.
    Here are a few problems I'm seeing:

    1. Boyfriend. Despite how crappy the relationship is turning, she's still in a relationship. Be very wary! She could easily use you as a form of comfort if her boyfriend isn't up to par for the moment and then just as easily ignore you to be with him. Just be careful, please. Gosh, I know that I could easily whore it up if I'm not getting the right kind of attention I need. I'm not saying she's necessarily doing that but it's a possibility she could just use you for the feelers and leave.

    2. If she really wants to be around you then she'll be more consistent. I enjoy my friends. When they ask to hang out, I hang out with them. I only get annoyed with people wanting to hang out if I'm not all that interested in them. Sure I could eventually have fun, but I'm usually very happy to see the people I care about. If she's flighty about that stuff then maybe you should find someone who will be so stinkin' excited to be around you. You deserve to have someone who wants to be around you despite you just "showing up" for no reason. When someone I enjoy pops up without me knowing, it makes me happy! I'd hope she would be the same.

    As someone who thinks she's an ISFP (ahem, me ), when I was completely sure that I liked a friend of mine, and was somewhat sure of his affections towards me, I jumped his ass. I told him that I liked him and now we've been together for 3 months. For me, if I'm not very sure of how I feel about people, I will just kinda float by without much to really pull me in. When someone is interesting enough to me (friendships or whatnot) then I'll make an effort to be around those people. That's really it.

    I hope that helps you decide where you'd like to go with this relationship.
    Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    ayoitsStepho is becoming someone else. Actually her true self, a rite of passage.

  3. #3
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Flighty?

    Dude, oh my god, you just keep showing up randomly? I'd kill you. No wonder she looks "put out." I despise people who show up randomly. They're lucky they don't get pushed out of a fourth story window.

    She seems like she "warms up" because she gets used to your presence and sees the value in it, being a flexy FP...I'm the same way, when certain people force themselves on me, I adjust somehow to them being there (I don't have another choice do I, other than murder?) and sometimes I do acquiesce that I enjoyed myself when a friend or acquaintance does something like this....occasionally. Sounds like you do it A LOT.

    It's also possible that she'll "adjust" to your presence and just uses you for comfort, like propping her leg on you while watching tv doesn't mean animal magnetism, it could be like "oh well here's this nice guy that who will let me put my feet on him opportunistically." It's sort of like offering someone a free couch they didn't ask for, and then wondering why they sit on it once you get the couch there, but never-the-less later decide they like a different couch better.

  4. #4
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ayoitsStepho View Post
    May I just say that I think you should be extremely careful to not allow your emotions to be entangled in her.
    Here are a few problems I'm seeing:

    1. Boyfriend. Despite how crappy the relationship is turning, she's still in a relationship. Be very wary! She could easily use you as a form of comfort if her boyfriend isn't up to par for the moment and then just as easily ignore you to be with him. Just be careful, please. Gosh, I know that I could easily whore it up if I'm not getting the right kind of attention I need. I'm not saying she's necessarily doing that but it's a possibility she could just use you for the feelers and leave.
    Yeah that's basically what I said, in different words...great minds think alike.

    2. If she really wants to be around you then she'll be more consistent. I enjoy my friends. When they ask to hang out, I hang out with them. I only get annoyed with people wanting to hang out if I'm not all that interested in them. Sure I could eventually have fun, but I'm usually very happy to see the people I care about. If she's flighty about that stuff then maybe you should find someone who will be so stinkin' excited to be around you. You deserve to have someone who wants to be around you despite you just "showing up" for no reason. When someone I enjoy pops up without me knowing, it makes me happy! I'd hope she would be the same.
    Yep.

    As someone who thinks she's an ISFP (ahem, me ), when I was completely sure that I liked a friend of mine, and was somewhat sure of his affections towards me, I jumped his ass. I told him that I liked him and now we've been together for 3 months. For me, if I'm not very sure of how I feel about people, I will just kinda float by without much to really pull me in. When someone is interesting enough to me (friendships or whatnot) then I'll make an effort to be around those people. That's really it.

    I hope that helps you decide where you'd like to go with this relationship.
    I've been like that myself since puberty.


  5. #5
    No moss growing on me Giggly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so
    Posts
    9,666

    Default

    It doesn't sound like she's ready or wanting a boyfriend, period.

  6. #6
    Post Human Post Qlip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    9,472

    Default

    @ayoitsStepho and @Giggly Thanks, that was pretty helpful. More below..

    Quote Originally Posted by Marmotini View Post
    Flighty?

    Dude, oh my god, you just keep showing up randomly? I'd kill you. No wonder she looks "put out." I despise people who show up randomly. They're lucky they don't get pushed out of a fourth story window.

    She seems like she "warms up" because she gets used to your presence and sees the value in it, being a flexy FP...I'm the same way, when certain people force themselves on me, I adjust somehow to them being there (I don't have another choice do I, other than murder?) and sometimes I do acquiesce that I enjoyed myself when a friend or acquaintance does something like this....occasionally. Sounds like you do it A LOT.

    It's also possible that she'll "adjust" to your presence and just uses you for comfort, like propping her leg on you while watching tv doesn't mean animal magnetism, it could be like "oh well here's this nice guy that who will let me put my feet on him opportunistically." It's sort of like offering someone a free couch they didn't ask for, and then wondering why they sit on it once you get the couch there, but never-the-less later decide they like a different couch better.
    Haha. Thanks also, Marm.

    No, the truth is, I actually don't show up randomly.. I'm just kind of empathetic and in retrospect it feels like it to me. Besides when we're all out, dancing or something, I've really only hung with her specifically 3 times outside of when I was living with her. The first time I was invited, I was in the area and she canceled, then she said she probably had time, then she went awol. So I just showed up to return the DVD with a neighbor at least, but she was there and she looked cranky and it was clear she thought my DVD story was made up but eventually we had a really deep talk.

    The second time she invited me over the day she got out of the hospital from her bicycle accident, that ended very lovely. Then we had a falling out, probably because I was coming on too strong, but ran into each other again, semi-randomly, not sure if she thought it was random or if I was intruding, probably the latter, but that ended nicely. The third is when I did 'just show up', but I texted ahead of time, and it was at my good friends house which I stayed at for 6 months myself and it feels like a second home, and I figured I could help with her dogs, they tend to be a handful.

    All these events seemed to be filled with coded 'messages', basically telling me she wasn't available, but always ended in a stated promise to hang in a near timeframe. SP communication is always a little strange for me, there was an ISTP who broke me in on it. The thing with Ns, is that, if you haven't noticed, we talk about a lot shit, but it never necessarily means anything. I've found, so far, that when an SP says something it's always directly attached to a very present thought or it's an attempt to communicate.

    But, anyway, I get your point, both your points. Good answers, it reinforces what I was going to do anyway.

  7. #7
    Twerking & Lurking ayoitsStepho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w3 so/sx
    Posts
    4,836

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marmotini View Post
    Yeah that's basically what I said, in different words...great minds think alike.

    I've been like that myself since puberty.

    Of course, we're awesome!

    @Qlip: I'm glad I could help. Go find a woman worth your time and energy. If she's awesome, she too, will put in time and effort to be with you.
    Good luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    ayoitsStepho is becoming someone else. Actually her true self, a rite of passage.

  8. #8
    Post Human Post Qlip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    9,472

    Default

    Ohh, just got a general invite out of the blue to hang, and an invite to go to a concert with her on Saturday. As promised, I'm keeping this friend zoned, but I'm pleased.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Fun in the Sun's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    4
    Socionics
    ESI Fi
    Posts
    260

    Default

    Seems like a difficult situation you're in and someone's bound to get hurt here. It sounds like you really like her. Here's the thing though, she knows you like her, but she has a boyfriend and she is probably struggling morally by hanging out with you. That may be why has been acting flighty around you. I wouldn't recommend letting her cheat on her boyfriend with you because she may come to regret it, which could further damage things between the two of you. I would just take it slow and see how things go as friends, but it's your call man, I'm just going by what I read.

  10. #10
    Post Human Post Qlip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    9,472

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fun in the Sun View Post
    Seems like a difficult situation you're in and someone's bound to get hurt here. It sounds like you really like her. Here's the thing though, she knows you like her, but she has a boyfriend and she is probably struggling morally by hanging out with you. That may be why has been acting flighty around you. I wouldn't recommend letting her cheat on her boyfriend with you because she may come to regret it, which could further damage things between the two of you. I would just take it slow and see how things go as friends, but it's your call man, I'm just going by what I read.
    Fun, I haven't seen you around, thanks for popping in! Yeah, I really do like her, but I'm not (currently) obsessed, I already got past my super-infatuation. Yeah, that's really what it comes down to, although I kind of did start off coming on strong... ENFP instinct. Last time I really attempted to set and show boundaries as far as subjects and personal space. It's kind of a thing I'm working on just in general since I've been gaining a lot of lady friends that I happen to be attracted to, but I would like to retain as friends for one reason or another.

Similar Threads

  1. Shy ISFP Girl
    By PeaceAndMusic in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 11-21-2012, 03:52 PM
  2. [ENFJ] ENFJ girl and ISFP boy relationship
    By mangosandpies in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 01-12-2010, 01:26 AM
  3. [ENFP] need advice: ENFP girl and ISFP male friend
    By Peace in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-06-2009, 07:43 AM
  4. [MBTItm] ISFP guy + ENFJ girl
    By Dali in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 02-11-2009, 12:30 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO