• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISTP] ISTP and the reality distortion field

yenom

Alexander the Terrible
DOES IT EVEN EXIST?

Epic_Face-1-.png

KDude

I doubt there was one ISTP who drank Jim Jones' Kool-Aid.

W

WALMART

Yes. We have to wade through it's projections from others daily.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
All I know about this is that lots of people think I have a distorted reality because of what they see as a 'TiNi loop' - this could be evidenced by things such as the thread link in my signature and all of the crazy places it leads!

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
All I know about this is that lots of people think I have a distorted reality because of what they see as a 'TiNi loop' - this could be evidenced by things such as the thread link in my signature and all of the crazy places it leads!

people with ni and ti loops are usually quite rare. i think.

KDude

Reality distortion is about preying on people emotively and with The Visionâ„¢. I think the types who use it are highly dependent on Ni and Fe or something to get their points across. I'm not really one to follow something because I was "inspired" or emotionally coerced. I call bullshit at step 1, I think. The first rule of salespeople is to "create a weakness" in the person. Making them think they're in need of something (which brings us to step 2, "fulfilling that need"). Besides sales, both mainstream religions and cults rely on the same tactic.

Vladimir

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
I agree with KDude

Also, for me, whenever someone starts talking super enthusiastically and passionately about something, I immediately get suspicious and skeptical, trying to figure out what they're omitting from their speech.

KDude

I don't understand the question.

I think "reality distortion field" was first coined in reference to Steve Jobs and his keynote speeches at Mac Expos. Anytime he announced a new company strategy or product, the audience were like cult members. No matter how insignificant the subject, Jobs had everyone under his sway.. "Ooooh... Ahhh.. Woooo!!" It's become a general term for how well marketing personalities and cult leaders can entice their fans and adherents.

I could be mistaken about the OP, but this is the standard definition. And I think ISTPs are fairly immune to it.

KDude

On a sidenote, this is why I'm so adamant that Tom Cruise is no ISTP. He's beyond deluded. And wishes to delude others as well.

jixmixfix

Permabanned
I think "reality distortion field" was first coined in reference to Steve Jobs and his keynote speeches at Mac Expos. Anytime he announced a new company strategy or product, the audience were like cult members. No matter how insignificant the subject, Jobs had everyone under his sway.. "Ooooh... Ahhh.. Woooo!!" It's become a general term for how well marketing personalities and cult leaders can entice their fans and adherents.

I could be mistaken about the OP, but this is the standard definition. And I think ISTPs are fairly immune to it.

ooooooo ahhhhhh ooooooo....

wolfy

awsm
Reality distortion is about preying on people emotively and with The Visionâ„¢. I think the types who use it are highly dependent on Ni and Fe or something to get their points across. I'm not really one to follow something because I was "inspired" or emotionally coerced. I call bullshit at step 1, I think. The first rule of salespeople is to "create a weakness" in the person. Making them think they're in need of something (which brings us to step 2, "fulfilling that need"). Besides sales, both mainstream religions and cults rely on the same tactic.

It is a bit off topic but I think some sales can be making the person aware of a need, rather than creating a weakness.

As far as reality distortion. I have a tendency to compare anything that is being sold to me against my own needs, reality and science. It can get get tricky sometimes, sometimes I have noticed my own reality has been distorted by myself. I'd notice and laugh at the way others were influenced by people they admire but would catch myself doing the same thing, just not as fast as I would with others.

KDude

It is a bit off topic but I think some sales can be making the person aware of a need, rather than creating a weakness.

Sure. Sometimes a sales type gets a customer to be personal (like behave as a friend in order to create rapport and drop their guard), in order for the customer to confess their needs themselves. A lot of religious people use this often. It's still bullshit though.

wolfy

awsm
Sure. Sometimes a sales type gets a customer to be personal (like behave as a friend in order to create rapport and drop their guard), in order for the customer to confess their needs themselves. A lot of religious people use this often. It's still bullshit though.

I think it depends on whether the salesman is honestly filling the need. Treating the customer as a client and advising them honestly on how to fill the need. It is up to the customer/client to say yes or no. It needs to work like that or there is a break down in the cycle of transactions. Then no one wins.

KDude

I think it depends on whether the salesman is honestly filling the need. Treating the customer as a client and advising them honestly on how to fill the need. It is up to the customer/client to say yes or no. It needs to work like that or there is a break down in the cycle of transactions. Then no one wins.

You're one of these salesman yourself. :thumbdown:

wolfy

awsm
You're one of these salesman yourself. :thumbdown:

Lol, I need to tell people what they need sometimes. If I explain to someone what they will need to achieve some training goal, then I don't see the problem. What if you had a cold and went to the drug store for advice but the salesman left it up to you? Makes no sense.

KDude

Lol, I need to tell people what they need sometimes. If I explain to someone what they will need to achieve some training goal, then I don't see the problem. What if you had a cold and went to the drug store for advice but the salesman left it up to you? Makes no sense.

I think training is a completely different ballpark. You're consulting. You're telling them how to improve. A customer OTOH is often put in a position of continued weakness and dependency. Either they get hooked and addicted or enticed with one main product, only to find themselves paying more for "add ons" and options later.

Or in some religions, the person isn't empowered in any way. They're controlled. Hell, Scientology has a whole policy in this regard - they openly promote vulnerability. They equate it with "conscience" and virtue. And when a vulnerable person has someone in their lives trying to get them loose from the church's grip, those people are called "Suppressive Persons". Or "SPs". The SP is only an independent thinker, but the church message is that the SP lacks conscience, and must be avoided at all costs to your soul. This kind of brainwashing gets people to turn against their own families.

edit: Kinda going on a tangent here. My bad.