User Tag List

First 123 Last

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Oh. Ok. Yeah. Hype is hype. Easy to separate.
    ~luck favors the ready~

Shameless Self-Promotion:MDP2525's Den and the Start of Motorcycle Maintenance

On a sidenote, this is why I'm so adamant that Tom Cruise is no ISTP. He's beyond deluded. And wishes to delude others as well.

Permabanned

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    I think "reality distortion field" was first coined in reference to Steve Jobs and his keynote speeches at Mac Expos. Anytime he announced a new company strategy or product, the audience were like cult members. No matter how insignificant the subject, Jobs had everyone under his sway.. "Ooooh... Ahhh.. Woooo!!" It's become a general term for how well marketing personalities and cult leaders can entice their fans and adherents.

I could be mistaken about the OP, but this is the standard definition. And I think ISTPs are fairly immune to it.
    ooooooo ahhhhhh ooooooo....

Quote Originally Posted by jixmixfix View Post
    ooooooo ahhhhhh ooooooo....

Reality distortion is about preying on people emotively and with The Vision™. I think the types who use it are highly dependent on Ni and Fe or something to get their points across. I'm not really one to follow something because I was "inspired" or emotionally coerced. I call bullshit at step 1, I think. The first rule of salespeople is to "create a weakness" in the person. Making them think they're in need of something (which brings us to step 2, "fulfilling that need"). Besides sales, both mainstream religions and cults rely on the same tactic.
    It is a bit off topic but I think some sales can be making the person aware of a need, rather than creating a weakness.

As far as reality distortion. I have a tendency to compare anything that is being sold to me against my own needs, reality and science. It can get get tricky sometimes, sometimes I have noticed my own reality has been distorted by myself. I'd notice and laugh at the way others were influenced by people they admire but would catch myself doing the same thing, just not as fast as I would with others.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
    It is a bit off topic but I think some sales can be making the person aware of a need, rather than creating a weakness.
    Sure. Sometimes a sales type gets a customer to be personal (like behave as a friend in order to create rapport and drop their guard), in order for the customer to confess their needs themselves. A lot of religious people use this often. It's still bullshit though.

Sure. Sometimes a sales type gets a customer to be personal (like behave as a friend in order to create rapport and drop their guard), in order for the customer to confess their needs themselves. A lot of religious people use this often. It's still bullshit though.
    I think it depends on whether the salesman is honestly filling the need. Treating the customer as a client and advising them honestly on how to fill the need. It is up to the customer/client to say yes or no. It needs to work like that or there is a break down in the cycle of transactions. Then no one wins.

I think it depends on whether the salesman is honestly filling the need. Treating the customer as a client and advising them honestly on how to fill the need. It is up to the customer/client to say yes or no. It needs to work like that or there is a break down in the cycle of transactions. Then no one wins.
    You're one of these salesman yourself.

You're one of these salesman yourself.
    Lol, I need to tell people what they need sometimes. If I explain to someone what they will need to achieve some training goal, then I don't see the problem. What if you had a cold and went to the drug store for advice but the salesman left it up to you? Makes no sense.

Lol, I need to tell people what they need sometimes. If I explain to someone what they will need to achieve some training goal, then I don't see the problem. What if you had a cold and went to the drug store for advice but the salesman left it up to you? Makes no sense.
    I think training is a completely different ballpark. You're consulting. You're telling them how to improve. A customer OTOH is often put in a position of continued weakness and dependency. Either they get hooked and addicted or enticed with one main product, only to find themselves paying more for "add ons" and options later.

Or in some religions, the person isn't empowered in any way. They're controlled. Hell, Scientology has a whole policy in this regard - they openly promote vulnerability. They equate it with "conscience" and virtue. And when a vulnerable person has someone in their lives trying to get them loose from the church's grip, those people are called "Suppressive Persons". Or "SPs". The SP is only an independent thinker, but the church message is that the SP lacks conscience, and must be avoided at all costs to your soul. This kind of brainwashing gets people to turn against their own families.

edit: Kinda going on a tangent here. My bad.