• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ESTP] How can ESTP's be several steps ahead of people?

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
I've noticed that in countless threads that I've seen, many ESTP types claim to be several steps ahead of people. How is this possible? I mean it seems like in order to be several steps ahead of people, one would need to be using some sort of intuitive function? However, ESTP's are intuition last, so how does this make sense? Someone explain to me how this is possible? Is this somehow the Ti function that allows ESTP types to do this?

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I just would've guessed they like fast living a lot - and hence, they race further ahead; don't confuse this rush mentality though with taking purposeful steps of action.

I mean come on, the forum face of ESTP calls himself 'Speed' Gavroche - you here that, Speed Gavroche!

I think I'm onto something here, maybe even a few steps ahead of the ESTPs themselves.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
I just would've guessed they like fast living a lot - and hence, they race further ahead; don't confuse this rush mentality though with taking purposeful steps of action.

I mean come on, the forum face of ESTP calls himself 'Speed' Gavroche - you here that, Speed Gavroche!

I think I'm onto something here, maybe even a few steps ahead of the ESTPs themselves.

Your answer makes no sense at all.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
That's right, because it transcends the world of our sense perceptions - I wil rise ever higher and ever further ahead; I leave all of you mortals far behind me!

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I mean it seems like in order to be several steps ahead of people, one would need to be using some sort of intuitive function?

This is the assumption I would start off by questioning. Taking in concrete vs. abstract information doesn't have anything to do with how fast you process that information - particularly if the topic is not very abstract in the first place.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
This is the assumption I would start off by questioning. Taking in concrete vs. abstract information doesn't have anything to do with how fast you process that information - particularly if the topic is not very abstract in the first place.

Yes, but intuitives typically say that they are more future oriented though. So it seems that to be several steps ahead of people, they would need to be needing to use some type of intuitive function? Wouldn't they? I would really like to know what ESTP's mean in the first place when they say that they are several steps ahead of people?

Il Morto Che Parla

MBTI Type
xxTP
Yes, but intuitives typically say that they are more future oriented though. So it seems that to be several steps ahead of people, they would need to be needing to use some type of intuitive function? Wouldn't they? I would really like to know what ESTP's mean in the first place when they say that they are several steps ahead of people?

I'd say the answer is pretty obvious:

Extraverted Sensing occurs when we become aware of what is in the physical world in rich detail.

We may be drawn to act on what we experience to get an immediate result.

We notice relevant facts and occurrences in a sea of data and experiences, learning all the facts we can about the immediate context or area of focus and what goes on in that context.

The process involves instantly reading cues to see how far we can go in a situation and still get the impact we want or respond to the situation with presence.

http://www.cognitiveprocesses.com/Cognitive-Functions/Extraverted-Sensing.cfm

Why would being good at those skills not make you some steps ahead in many situations? Seems obvious to me. Not much "iNtution" required.

Though those things above may often be called "intuition" int he popular parlance.

I wonder what [MENTION=15886]jontherobot[/MENTION] has to say, seeing as he and I repeatedly seem to discuss this same issue:D

W

WALMART

ESTP's are masters of motion.

Tiime is rolling forward, logic follows.

^^ Hilarious. If I'd of known you'd call me out I would have put more thought into this, lol.

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Maybe ESTPs are just really good shit talkers? :whistling:

Abbey

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Their lack of intuition makes them dislike theory and not trust their instinct, they can still use logic (Ti) to assess the situation and react quickly because of their dominant here-in-the-moment Se.

Il Morto Che Parla

MBTI Type
xxTP
Their lack of intuition makes them dislike theory and not trust their instinct, they can still use logic (Ti) to assess the situation and react quickly because of their dominant here-in-the-moment Se.

I would not equate iNtuition with instinct.

I would say many ESTP's have very storng instincts, and trust them very much. More than many NP's do.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
They do use intuition; it's just subconscious.

They actually overtrust their intuition, which is why they can be (often fooled into believing they're) several steps ahead of others.

But fools often tend to believe in overconfident fools, and, as such, fools often tend to believe in their (often undeserved) confidence.

Their belief in their being several steps ahead of others actually causes it to be the case.

But, in the end, they're only really ahead of other fools.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I define a fool as someone who lacks the power of transformation, that is, they are incapable for further change or personal development - they have no promise for self-mastery. Arrogance placed in a bad spot can indeed be a factor in this detrimental quality.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
I'd say the answer is pretty obvious:

Extraverted Sensing occurs when we become aware of what is in the physical world in rich detail.

We may be drawn to act on what we experience to get an immediate result.

We notice relevant facts and occurrences in a sea of data and experiences, learning all the facts we can about the immediate context or area of focus and what goes on in that context.

The process involves instantly reading cues to see how far we can go in a situation and still get the impact we want or respond to the situation with presence.

http://www.cognitiveprocesses.com/Cognitive-Functions/Extraverted-Sensing.cfm

Why would being good at those skills not make you some steps ahead in many situations? Seems obvious to me. Not much "iNtution" required.

Though those things above may often be called "intuition" int he popular parlance.

I wonder what [MENTION=15886]jontherobot[/MENTION] has to say, seeing as he and I repeatedly seem to discuss this same issue:D

Well when they say that they are "steps ahead" of people, do they mean that they are steps ahead of people in the moment, or like in the long-term? If it's in the moment, it would make sense.

Il Morto Che Parla

MBTI Type
xxTP
They do use intuition; it's just subconscious.

They actually overtrust their intuition, which is why they can be (often fooled into believing they're) several steps ahead of others.

But fools often tend to believe in overconfident fools, and, as such, fools often tend to believe in their (often undeserved) confidence.

Their belief in their being several steps ahead of others actually causes it to be the case.

But, in the end, they're only really ahead of other fools.

Harsh words.

Of course the first error, is that this presupposes that iNtution is synonymous with "being a step ahead".

Of course in many situations dependent on reading physical cues, Se would certainly lead you to be a step ahead of others.

From that base misconception, of equating iNtution with foresight, the rest of the argument flows.

I

Infinite Bubble

Dominant Se types will most likely be a few steps ahead of everyone (without the function in a high position) in the moment. It make sense, since they're gathering all the information from the current environment in its "purest" form. They notice small details that others (without high Se) do not. Users of other functions will be looking for different things though, so in their particular way they'll be steps ahead of others; e.g. an Ne user will focusing on future possibilities and be ahead in that sense.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
I've never heard "them" say it. So you tell me.:D

Well it looks like through doing research I have found my answer to this question. The question was asked on personalitycafe on this thread...

http://personalitycafe.com/estp-forum-doers/76659-ask-estp-anything-16.html

This question was asked...

Quote Originally Posted by metalme View Post
This is a quote from personality page [portrait of an ESTP].

Could someone please explain this from an ESTP's perspective? To what degree can you read people and what kinds of things do you understand about them? Can you also tell when people are hiding things from you? Plenty of examples would help... thanks ahead

ESTPs have an uncanny ability to perceive people's attitudes and motivations. They pick up on little cues which go completely unnoticed by most other types, such as facial expressions and stance. They're typically a couple of steps ahead of the person they're interacting with. ESTPs use this ability to get what they want out of a situation.

An ESTP answered this..

ESTPs are very good in analysing about anything that is appearing infront of them. With the external sensors, they pick up very tony signals like blink of an eye and the way they smile when they talk and that they look a bit nervous and we already know something is not right... those facial expression doesn't match with their tone of speech and the words. It is very hard to explain in words but I think this might be the best I can do. Lets see if there are anyone who can come out better?

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
Harsh words.

Truth (sometimes) hurts.

Of course the first error, is that this presupposes that iNtution is synonymous with "being a step ahead".

Actually, your first error is in thinking that's what I claimed.

Of course in many situations dependent on reading physical cues, Se would certainly lead you to be a step ahead of others.

I wonder how it is Se arrives at a determination of the meaning of the physical cue...

From that base misconception, of equating iNtution with foresight, the rest of the argument flows.

To deny a relationship between foresight and intuition would be a highly questionable act.

KDude

It's more in their sense of opportunity (rather than thinking over or discussing options, which would be an intuitive/Ne habit) and having no qualms placing themselves at an advantage or exploiting weaknesses. You know those things some people consider, but then go "nah, that's kind of fucked up"? ESTPs tend to not be as restricted. Being several steps ahead is more a matter of everyone else's scruples and restraint.

Thirdly, they can humor people or rely on social clout to the point that they're admired for these exploits. Look how fucked up Berlusconi is - and yet, he still has a smile on his face. And his fate is undecided.