• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISTP] Do ISTP's confuse the crap out of people?

briochick

half-nut member
MBTI Type
eNFP
Enneagram
;)
Instinctual Variant
sx
You kind of start to think that they don't have emotions because they seem so, uhh, stoic... and then you accept that maybe you'll never get to experience emotions with them and then they'll surprise you and unexpectedly show some emotion and you're like :shock:

This sounds like my Pottery professor. Who, consequently, I had a bit of a crush on by the end, but that's beside the point. I spent the first month or so thinking he had very little emotion besides low-level annoyance. Then I realized that what I thought was annoyance was his normal face and that he was just really low affective intensity and I started watching for subtler expressions of emotion and speech and suddenly he made a lot of sense and turned out to be a really cool guy (even if his idea of expressive was about 50 notches below mine). It was a fun challenge to learn how to interpret him a little.

Is confusing supposed to be a bad thing?

And some dickhead ESFPs can be absolute jackasses, believe me!

All people of all types are capable of being jackasses...or mature and wonderful.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I notice on the forum and in sports that dealing with istp's can be very confusing task in alot of ways as they are very unpredictable.Do Istp's confuse you or do you find them to be pretty straightforward?

I think they're refreshingly straightforward. I don't get the fuss over interpretation. I have a collection of STP friends.. They're great. Sure, they're erratic, but there's always method to that madness, to some degree. Expect the unexpected, and don't expect them to give a fuck. Value freedom, authenticity, fearless exploration. Tends to work for me, generally, in terms of connecting. They just wanna do their thing, man.

Galena

Silver and Lead
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yes, at times my mother confuses the crap out of me. :D

McCool

MBTI Type
ISTP
Unpredictable? Nope...It's just that ISTP's are societies best doer's but worst communicators....It's actually the only thing I'm/We're self conscience about....Physical communication no problem but showing how I think and feel, other than straight forward facts. Major problem

danseen

MBTI Type
INTP
I'm not an SP, however I am wildly contradictory. Sometimes for the hell of it. If others don't like it, they can fuck it, I am who I am.

Dragonfly

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think the best way for people to understand an ISTP is to know that we will do what needs to be done, or what you ask us, without even saying anything. People have called me unpredictable when seeing me just leaping into action to perform random tasks, or walking off to do what they asked of me without saying anything. But, eventually, people figure out that it is how i work and from then on they come to expect it, or so it seems anyway.

Although, if an ISTP has their Fe developed more than usual, especially if it precedes Ni, i have noticed that they can sometimes have strong outbursts of anger. I guess that is what happens if they get their Ti/Ni overloaded, which seems to be the cause of all the ISTP outbursts i have witnessed.

badger055

Permabanned
My inner world doesn't really translate well if it's said out loud. It's like a giant framework that's been perfected over years and years like a big inside joke. It would look like an armoury. If I were to bring you to it it would be like this.

E94G1d4.gif

We are unpredictable because we are living by our own rules in our world. In our world this stuff is normal.

As for my emotions those are the bad nasty kind you don't want to see anyway. Unless you are a dog then you can have emotions.

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
Unpredictable? Nope...It's just that ISTP's are societies best doer's but worst communicators....It's actually the only thing I'm/We're self conscience about....Physical communication no problem but showing how I think and feel, other than straight forward facts. Major problem

This describes someone who I suspect is an ISTP. He likes the joking and talking about 'stuff', but as soon as it even becomes remotely personal or reflective, it's like he shuts down. Interesting dude.