• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[SP] How to recognize 50+ SPs?

Pushbeat

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Every now and then I enjoy trying to type other people. But I find it hard to pick the SP's, especially when they are older, say around 50 (like me).
I know that SP's are action seekers and that they are motivated by freedom and the need to act. A clue for me is that they are to the point when they describe something, but SJ's do that as well, don't they?

Anyone some general tips where to look at? Difference between males and females?

KDude

I don't know about anyone else, but I don't care for the "action seeker" description. Sounds like a Mountain Dew commercial. I can get involved in action-oriented things, but I'm selective about it. I'd rather call SPs "realists". We're either casual or active.

As for older SPs, I have two neighbors who might qualify. One is an older ISFP guy. He's a freelance illustrator and spends most of his time working at home. He's a musician, and (I think?) goes to Ren Faires with his family. He's pretty chilled out. He reminds of one of those folk singers, like James Taylor. My other neighbor is a woman, mid 40s. She's either ESFP or ENFP. She works as a fitness instructor, so she's still active, and often has big parties, but she's not wild. She's just upbeat. Her parties are family oriented. Both of them are pretty non-judgemental people.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think my grandpa was an ISTP and possibly also my grandma on the other side (perhaps ISFP, but both were definitely IxxP anyway), although she died when I was a young teen and we only saw her 1-2 times a year so I didn't know her very well.

They were both really independent, both were big animal lovers, both really into the outdoors and lived in the country, both had extensive gardens, and were both very artistic in different ways (workshop vs. quilting - maybe influenced by traditional gender roles a bit). My grandpa played music, too - I'm guessing this is a common SP thing, although I don't do it. I wouldn't call either of them action-seekers but they needed to be doing something productive with their time and that something was often hands-on. Both were big readers too, actually.

I didn't realize how similar they were until I typed this out, that's actually pretty funny, since the two sets of grandparents lived hours away from each other and almost never interacted. It's possible that a lot of those traits are just really common in people living in fairly remote communities out in the country, although both were married to a spouse with a very different personality.

Pushbeat

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Whow, impressive replies. I read artistic, musical, vivid, but how can I tell of someone is SP? I like to read (non-fiction) and love to make music, but I'm NT.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
Whow, impressive replies. I read artistic, musical, vivid, but how can I tell of someone is SP? I like to read (non-fiction) and love to make music, but I'm NT.

Concrete word usage, utilitarian tool usage.

So the word usage of SPs is similar to SJs but usually more present oriented, whereas SJ are often oriented in the past. If the person spends more time talking about the here and now than the past, SP is a stronger likelihood.

Also, SJs are "cooperators" - more likely to conform to whatever the accepted standards of behavior are in whatever environment or culture, whereas SPs are "utilitarians" - more likely to find ways to do things differently or rebel, even if it's very subtle rebellion.

You can't always really tell by the hobbies like music, because anyone can be interested in music, just in different ways.