User Tag List

12 Last

Default What is reality?

What is reality? Isn't everything we know and see subjective? How do we know for sure what reality is? After all, everything's perspective and we never know anything for sure.

Bunnies & Rainbow Socks Kayness's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    SEI

Hi. Engaging in Sensors in philosophical discussion ? I'll try my best to answer but I'm not very good at articulating myself. My thoughts too often get jumbled up and most of the time I find it difficult to untangle them. That's why I'm a visual artist rather than a writer :|..
    so please be patient.

Quote Originally Posted by Aleda View Post
    What is reality?
    in the strictest sense, reality is a distillation of what information our sensory organs receive, send to our brains, and measured against our brains' archive of what we already know and interpreted. Basically our reality is what our brains interpret the information we receive to be.

Isn't everything we know and see subjective?
    to a point, yeah. As in, they're not all subjective to the same degree.

How do we know for sure what reality is?
    Philosophically speaking, I don't think we can know what the absolute objective truth of something is, but we can know many things beyond reasonable doubt, as in, we can know something with enough certainty to the point that it's nonsensical or contrived to try to argue otherwise. Also, we implement objective standards and measurements, for example, the trajectory of a thrown object or frequency of noise can be described through mathematical language, which is far more objective and precise than any attempts to describe with words.

Hope you're getting what I'm trying to say here.
    9w1 4w5 5w4 sp/sx RCUAI
    art blog
    Twitter

"I set about seeking a style in the realm of legend. Something that might allow me to give free rein to my juvenile sense of romanticism and the beautiful image"
    - Leni Riefenstahl
    [/CENTER]

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx

Quote Originally Posted by Aleda View Post
    What is reality? Isn't everything we know and see subjective? How do we know for sure what reality is? After all, everything's perspective and we never know anything for sure.
    As a very skeptical person... I have a hard time with the intangible. I have struggled with religion for years, before finally accepting that I'm an agnostic. If there isn't absolute proof of something, I have a hard time accepting it as being a reality. I suppose that everything we know is up for interpretation, hence making it subjective. What is a reality for me, may not be a reality for someone else because they interpret it differently.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx

Discussion reminds me of a Lab mate; walking into class one evening. Muttering under his breath, "Is this reality? Is this reality?"

"No! it's just pretend."

In the universe; we are the observer and a kin to watching an automobile accident. It's a subjective experience. Almost an individual dream.

WALMART

“Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”

Not one hundred percent applicable, but perhaps you can appreciate the similar vein of thought. I operate under the presumption I am grasping everything there is to be clung to and reaching for what I cannot. Things beyond that are out of my control, and I'm usually okay with accepting that. This is reality.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7 sx/so

It's a question I never bother asking, let alone answering. Why not just accept your own experience and interaction with the world as being reality. Whether this is right or not doesn't really matter does it?

MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ESI Fi

Reality is what I can see, hear, touch, smell, taste and how my brain puts it all together. My gut tells me that there is more out there what my brain can detect. Other than that, enjoy it while it lasts

MBTI
    ISFP

Fucken complicated.
    "My comrades and my beloved, upon your way you shall meet men with hoofs; give them your wings. And men with horns; give them wreaths of laurel. And men with claws; give them petals for fingers. And men with forked tongues; give them honey words." --Kahlil Gibran, The Garden of The Prophet

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEI

This could very well be a dream. But regardless, it's my reality.
    "I don't know a perfect person.
    I only know flawed people who are still worth loving."
    -John Green

MBTI
    ISTP

Reality is really real.