• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[SP] why are people so soft?

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
Where have all the cowboys gone?

They drive F150's and torture and kill animals at rodeos.

They are a paragon of the Amerikan fearful authoritarian mindset. How depressing and unsuprising that you tacitly consider yourself one of them

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
They drive F150's and torture and kill animals at rodeos.

They are a paragon of the Amerikan fearful authoritan mindset. How depressing and unsuprising that you tacitly consider yourself one of them

Way to put your redeeming qualities on display.

You seem to be a pretty good example of a soft man.

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
Way to put your redeeming qualities on display.

You seem to be a pretty good example of a soft man.

I find your opinions to be consistently based on authoritarianism, which always couches its pronouncements in terms that sound sensible and just, and aligned with ‘Tradition’. But it always hides a fear-based power structure, designed to maintain social dominance for white men. This always comes at the expense of women, minorities and children, the poor, and anyone else who asserts their rights against power.

I'm happy to be considered a 'soft man' by a fearful person, who cuts-n-pastes incessantly because fear (or lack of natural endowment) prevents him from formulating his own opinions.

Enjoy your traditions, since they are all you have.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
I find your opinions to be consistently based on authoritarianism, which always couches its pronouncements in terms that sound sensible and just, and aligned with ‘Tradition’. But it always hides a fear-based power structure, designed to maintain social dominance for white men. This always comes at the expense of women, minorities and children, the poor, and anyone else who asserts their rights against power.

I'm happy to be considered a 'soft man' by a fearful person, who cuts-n-pastes incessantly because fear (or lack of natural endowment) prevents him from formulating his own opinions.

Enjoy your traditions, since they are all you have.

I made a statement relevant to the thread and in no way aimed at you.

You happened to feel a certain way about that statement and took it upon yourself, in a huff of breathless moral indignation, to let everyone know what you think about people who come from places you didn't, and see the world in a way that you don't.

Well you know what, that's petty and small, and indicative of the epistemological closure so prevalent on both sides of the isle today.

Maybe you wouldn't feel the need to flip shit on an innocuous statement, if you were less freaked out by people disagreeing with you.

I hope the venom you offer is returned to you 10 fold.

Lark

I Find people now days so boring predictable and unispiring. No body I know likes to have any fun or take any risks. I Only have one friend who is an istj that is always up for new adventures. Do any other sp's relate to this?

You seem to be complaining about different things here.

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
I know, DB. This thread is the good-ol-boys club house. How dare a softie like me call you on your shit.

I grew up among cowboys. Did you? I thought not, since they typically don't live in gated communities in Florida.

That’s why I responded: because you don’t know what you’re talking about. You just recycle the standard mythology of ‘Merka, thinking that the pablum you uncritically inherited as a coddled upper class white guy is somehow demonstrably true because it's so ubiquitous.

Stop worrying so much. Your future is assured. The patriarchy will cradle you in its strong arms, cowboy.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
I know, DB. This thread is the good-ol-boys club house. How dare a softie like me call you on your shit.

What shit?

I grew up among coyboys. Did you?

Among coy boys did you?

Do you ride Western or English?

Can you shoe a horse?

How's your shooting?

I thought not, since they typically don't live in gated communities in Florida.

No gates where I live. I did live in a condo in a gated condo complex for a while. But I don't now.

That’s why I responded: because you don’t know what you’re talking about. You just recycle the standard mythology of ‘Merka, thinking that the pablum you uncritically inherited as a coddled upper class white guy is somehow demonstrably true because it so ubiquitous.

You responded because I aggravate you.

Since you clearly know me so well, please show me how my ideological stances reflect anything but careful consideration.

I doubt you could clearly enunciate your beliefs given the opportunity.

So tell me, from your perch high on the pedestal you've created for yourself, what do you believe?

Stop worrying so much. Your future is assured. The patriarchy will cradle you in its strong arms, cowboy.

I'm not worried for myself, I worry for the generation of coddled young men just now coming into adulthood with no tools to deal with a real world that could give two shits about their self esteem.

I worry that children aren't exposed to failure, or adventure, or danger in the same ways they used to. Ways that taught them first hand about taking responsible action, and looking out for ones self.

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm not worried for myself, I worry for the generation of coddled young men just now coming into adulthood with no tools to deal with a real world that could give two shits about their self esteem.

I worry that children aren't exposed to failure, or adventure, or danger in the same ways they used to. Ways that taught them first hand about taking responsible action, and looking out for ones self.

What a limited, classist perspective. I assure you there are still plenty of children out there that aren't being coddled or protected from danger. Exit your bubble sometime.

A

Anew Leaf

I'm soft because I am made of clouds and bunnies and the love of sharks bouncing through the ocean.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
What a limited, classist perspective. I assure you there are still plenty of children out there that aren't being coddled or protected from danger. Exit your bubble sometime.

Tell that to the thousands told all their lives that getting a bachelors would be the gateway to a great job.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Tell that to the thousands told all their lives that getting a bachelors would be the gateway to a great job.

yeah I believed that til i got to college and realized it wasn't true. It was true for my parent's generation not for mine.

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

I'll tell it to the millions who never even hoped or expected to go to college. I feel that you missed my point.

B

brainheart

yeah I believed that til i got to college and realized it wasn't true. It was true for my parent's generation not for mine.

I never believed that because I was a film studies major with a minor in English. I always knew my case was hopeless. But I sure wasn't going to do some lame major I had no interest in for the sake of security.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I never believed that because I was a film studies major with a minor in English. I always knew my case was hopeless. But I sure wasn't going to do some lame major I had no interest in for the sake of security.

I was a film major. and I never expected to make it big. I watched others go get boring degrees and end up in minimum wage jobs regardless

B

brainheart

I was a film major. and I never expected to make it big. I watched others go get boring degrees and end up in minimum wage jobs regardless

My husband was a computer science major because that's what his dad told him to do and now he makes pretty good money. But he graduated fifteen years ago. These days, yes, college grads are screwed.

When I was in college, though, it was pretty obvious to me that a college degree was becoming the new high school degree. Forty years ago people could actually support themselves on jobs they got from a high school degree. And then a high school degree merely became a ticket to college. Now an undergraduate degree is nothing more than a requirement for a masters or doctorate.

That said, I have a friend who never went to college and became a very successful entrepreneur.

I went to college to learn stuff not to get a job. If you want to get a job it's probably better to go to a trade school- unless you are going in for a degreed profession. (And going to college to learn stuff was pretty silly considering most of what I've learned I've learned on my own.)

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
I'll tell it to the millions who never even hoped or expected to go to college. I feel that you missed my point.

I'll tell it to the vast swaths of middle America that outnumber both the poor and the rich.

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'll tell it to the vast swaths of middle America that outnumber both the poor and the rich.

Just trying to let you know that the "cowboys" aren't in the frat house or Capitol Hill or wherever you spend your time, if you're really interested in finding them. But I guess your political beliefs prevent you from associating with/caring about people from different backgrounds.