• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[SP] Living in the moment

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
No one can live in the moment ALL of the time. That would be very costly on many fronts, but always planning ahead can be dull though.

I'm wondering if SP's default state is to live in the moment and they have to make an effort to think/plan ahead, whereas SJ's default state is to think/plan ahead and they have to make an effort to live in the moment?

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Planning in my life is a product of my job, and bill paying. My free time doesn't have much structure.

KDude

Ni will aid in projecting consequences and how things develop - but being percievers, things are still subject to change more often than not. Ni more often ends up being something to aid in doing sharp turns at the last second. Hunches and "Hmm, better not open that door" moments. And sometimes more lucid thoughts on how this or that is bound to fail (Ti would probably be a big factor there too). Of course, anyone can make plans too, but that isn't going to be the preference.

All technical stuff aside, I'll just say I like living in the moment. So I'm going to do it even if it's ultimately harmful (assuming it is). I truly don't give a fuck. I care about exercising good judgement and having decent principles. I've also learned to not step on anyone's feet. I think it's desirable to be a "good" person. But these are judgement calls. I don't give a fuck about being some E3 Success Oriented Winner. I just don't. I'm not going to plan my whole life around stability.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Planning in my life is a product of my job, and bill paying. My free time doesn't have much structure.

Same here (except maybe with travel, where I do some planning, but HATE that I have to).

Lark

No one can live in the moment ALL of the time. That would be very costly on many fronts, but always planning ahead can be dull though.

I'm wondering if SP's default state is to live in the moment and they have to make an effort to think/plan ahead, whereas SJ's default state is to think/plan ahead and they have to make an effort to live in the moment?

I think that either approach taken to extremes is dangerous and ill advised but to be honest I think the ascendency of the present moment mindset has been a bad one, in either its buddhist or pop "psychology" format, a lot of the worst kinds of social problems are generated or endure because people "live for the day" or "live as though they will die tommorrow", there's not pressure of history, legacies or heritage for most people these days and the world hasnt really proven to be much better for it.

KDude

there's not pressure of history, legacies or heritage for most people these days and the world hasnt really proven to be much better for it.

You don't understand introverted thinkers and feelers at all. It's like you need some public confession or expression of everything people stand for, else they think or stand for nothing. Get over yourself. Many just don't care to chart it out all for you.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
I don't live in the moment much, but I am not planning when I don't. It's hard to explain. I'm visualizing different things starting from what's in front of me, some random imaginery or music w/e that's not fully under my control. (just some NJ trying to get in, sorry for being in the wrong forum)

Lark

You don't understand introverted thinkers and feelers at all. It's like you need some public confession or expression of everything people stand for, else they think or stand for nothing. Get over yourself. Many just don't care to chart it out all for you.

I think you generalise much.

W

WALMART

That's a fair arching assessment.

I tend to float through time, drawing in the possibilities as I go. I'm an expert short-term planner and master of all the unexpected. My entire life has consisted of seizing opportunity as it comes to me to get by. But that's just it, I only get by....

Though when you don't ask for much, what else do you need?

*cough* a rich TJ wife *cough*

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ
If you're not in the moment, then where are you? Hit by a bus because you were looking for where it will be, not where it is?

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
After reading some posts here, I want to clarify what I see as a mistake a lot of people make when discussing SP traits. Just because a person lives their life in an unstructured way is in no way connected to instability or craziness or any such thing.

I see that a lot. Most SPs are very grounded in who they are. The expression of this may look strange or random from outsider perspectives. This is where, I think, the correlation of SPs and craziness comes into play.

Personally, the YOLO fad is just that. A bunch of people who are stuck in their ruts and want to break out and need a mantra.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What is this nebulous moment you speak of?... they are still trying to prove mathematically that time flows anyway. So if all that ever happened and ever will happen is "the moment", then only a few people are excused. :sage:

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
After reading some posts here, I want to clarify what I see as a mistake a lot of people make when discussing SP traits. Just because a person lives their life in an unstructured way is in no way connected to instability or craziness or any such thing.

I see that a lot. Most SPs are very grounded in who they are. The expression of this may look strange or random from outsider perspectives. This is where, I think, the correlation of SPs and craziness comes into play.

Personally, the YOLO fad is just that. A bunch of people who are stuck in their ruts and want to break out and need a mantra.

:yes: great point! I think it's a fad for a reason, too... Just like things moving too fast for us, it's probably a somewhat philosophical interpretation on some people's part- actually, society forces us out of the moment a lot, with all the crap that goes on around us, the world getting smaller, we're forced to have all these huge concerns and it's confusing to know what you want to do, so people are pulling this "yolo!!" thing and just maybe blocking all that out and doing the complete opposite. (Could be a lot of other things too, but I think it's caused by a general society-is-confusing thing.)

As far as SP's go, if you are naturally in the moment person, the opposite could be true, getting in touch with yourself and your desires due to kind of wanting to be natural and happy every day... Minimalists, people who spend a lot of time in nature... I would think that "truly" living in the moment may cause the opposite behavior of the crazy stuff in a lot of ways.. Of course, yes, then again, could flourish in a lot of the fast racing information coming at us and get caught up in it and go crazy... Lot's of interpretations here. The yolo thing got me on a rant. I hate the yolo thing. Get the thought police on that crap.

jixmixfix

Permabanned

Yolo is just a stupid word. lol

KDude

I'm 35 and relatively healthy, drug free, no bullet holes. Not even heartburn. That has to count for something. What more does anyone want?

Just when you think you've conquered real problems in life, there's this whole other level of people wagging their fingers at complete bullshit.

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
Most of the best moments of my life have been during moments of flow, when I was unaware of time passing, or even where I was. In other words: living right here, right now.
I recommend it.:D