WALMART

Default ISTP Feelings

What are they like for you?

When/why/how do you experience them?

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Feelings can be overwhelming for me... I'm not going to lie, a lot of the times. When I truly connect with someone, I start to feel strong, intense emotions for the person and if uncertain about their feelings towards me (I'm so bad at telling if a guy is into me or not) end up thinking about them non-stop. It gets hard to focus on anything else. Sucks when I have things I need to get done

I also tend to ignore my emotions if it's not overpowering. For example, I can come across as pallid or disinterested while a friend is spilling their heart out to me, but I can still feel a well of emotions underneath my external layer (which I refer to as my poker face.) Rather than focusing on the emotions, I naturally cast it aside for the time being and start laying out mental charts of possible advice/recommendations I can give to my friend in need (Ti working here) based off my stored knowledge of this particular person's past experiences, personality traits, etc. My friends tend to come to me for objective advice due to this, or if they just want someone to listen to them without being judgmental.

So I can either fully detach myself from my emotions, or they end up controlling me.

On a random note, I find myself tearing up when watching documentaries/movies on something happy or sad, but only when I'm by myself. Won't bat an eye in front of others.

In terms of what? Relationships? I hate to even talk about that, but I can relate to the distracting state that @ArtemisFull mentioned. I don't think I've truly managed to be productive about it yet, so for now, I'm better off not thinking about relationships. ymmv. Other common feelings are just anger/rage/irritability (mostly irritability). When I was young, I'd act on it too much and got into too many fights. My parents thought I needed a shrink. Not to sound too geeky, but I relate to Vulcans from Star Trek. lol. They're not naturally in control.. they make a lot of effort to be that way. Their natural state is intense. I wish I was one of those people who are born zen, but I'm far from it.

Banned
    MBTI
    ISTP

Externally, we usually don't show it.
    Yet internally, I surmise we're as "emotional" as any other personality type.

That is, assuming we care enough to understand or waste energy on such.

MBTI
    ISTP

I don't do these things you call feelings. I lock them in a box, then shove them in a closet beneath the stairs so they can defeat He-Who-Shall-Not-Be-Named.

WALMART

Yeah, I wonder my feelings. I can't tell if I simply metabolize them quickly or ignore thrm altogether.

Permabanned

My feelings are like "I'm hungry", or "I'm tired" or "I need to go to the bathroom". Those feelings I'm really good at.

But, like "happiness" or "sorrow"...yeah, it's usually like not at all...as in, I don't consciously realize that that's what I'm feeling....or it's like "I'm smiling, so I must be happy...because that's how it works, right?"

Then there are times where I'm like "Whoa, that's new...I guess I'm feeling something...what is it?"

So, I start thinking "What is angst plus sorrow?...then I get many answers...like "Apprehension...or anxious"..." Then I'm like, ok, am I apprehensive, because I'm definitely "angstful" and sorrowful at the same time? If yes, I'm like "That's what apprehension feels like?" Who knew...

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by jontherobot View Post
    What are they like for you?

When/why/how do you experience them?
    Maybe you could be a bit more specific in what you're asking? My answer so far would be the same as most other humans, really.
    -end of thread-

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    My answer so far would be the same as most other humans, really.
    Seriously.

I was convinced for a second that ISTPs were autistic. Wtf is wrong with some of you? I "feel" like kicking you in the balls, just for fun.

WALMART

^ To both of you, I doubt your emotional composition is anything like most of the other types.

I look to ArtemisFull's post and see validation in exploring the concepts I am attempting to uncover in this thread.

Sensors... pfft.

Edit: RW was too quick for me.