• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[SP] Reality TV shows?

alicia91

Just curious if any of you like reality tv, and if so, what do you like?

I used to be a HUGE Survivor fan (was one of the original members of the Survivor Sucks board) and watched many seasons of it before I lost interest. Was also a big fan of The Mole - Anderson Cooper (yummy, but I hear he's gay), which I just heard is back and the Amazing Race. But my current faves are Deadliest Catch and America's Best Dance Crew. Two completely different shows I know but they are both really cool. Ice Road Truckers was also good but I could never seem to find it, it just seemed to be randomly on when I turned on the TV.

I secretly watch some of the trashier ones like I Love NY (which was better than Flava Flav's show IMO), and the one with Tila Tequila (poor Dani! boo hoo), but only in small doses. I'm actually not happy that the higher quality shows are being replaced by the trashier ones.

I've also watched Celebrity Fit Club and have a secret crush on Harvey. He can come over and order me around any day!

WobblyStilettos

MBTI Type
INFP
Big Brother has made me turn against reality TV shows. I mean, people running around a house with a 'LYK OMFG I AM LYK TTLY THE BEST HERE SEE SEE I CAN SCREAM THE LOUDEST LOLLOLLOL IM CRAZY!' just gets a bit tiresome.

Spartacuss

wholly charmed
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
From what I've seen so far, I'd rather nurse piranhas than watch that sop. I've seen some where all the petty drama seems like adult-sized middle schoolers run amok. I wondered if these people are actually like that, or had regressed to stupider forms of childhood to amaze the viewer.

scantilyclad

almost nekkid
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I like to watch the biggest loser and beauty and the geek.

kelric

Feline Member
MBTI Type
INtP
I'm either a pretty big fan or completely uninterested in reality shows. Basically, this means that I make a point of watching Survivor (although it's a bit played out), The Amazing Race, and the Mole (non-celebrity version, now that it's back). Singing/Modeling etc. shows don't do anything at all for me, and the "celebrity life" type shows... no... just no...

Basically, if it's a show I think would be fun to be on myself, I'm interested.

alicia91

The dramas do get tiresome - and they certainly aren't my favorites. I have never even seen Big Brother. I'm not sure about Big Brother but I know most of those younger trashier ones are all scripted and fake, sort of like Jerry Springer.

But I just love Deadliest Catch. I just find it very interesting - fighting the elements, making their quotas, the danger. One of my sons loves it too and now wants to be a crab boat captain.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I really like so you think you can dance, but I wouldn't really call it a reality show since I just watch it to see the dancing.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I've gotten into Beauty and the Geek.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
From what I've seen so far, I'd rather nurse piranhas than watch that sop. I've seen some where all the petty drama seems like adult-sized middle schoolers run amok. I wondered if these people are actually like that, or had regressed to stupider forms of childhood to amaze the viewer.

Do tell.

MBTI Type
INTJ
I watched the first few seasons of Survivor, but I got tired of it. The only reality show I really watch anymore is American Idol. Unless you count the Food Network Challenges, which is kind of iffy.

Some of them I think are downright disgusting and offensive. Moment Of Truth has to be the absolute nadir of human civilization.

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
Does anyone remember the days when television was made by professionals, who were paid to do it, and trained? With a script?

Ho hum.

MBTI Type
INTJ
Does anyone remember the days when television was made by professionals, who were paid to do it, and trained? With a script?

Ho hum.

Barely. I'd work a lot more if we went back to that, that's for sure.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
I liked the Joe Schmo Show (which was one real guy and a bunch of actors), Kid Nation, and of course the original "reality" show, the first few seasons of The Real World on MTV.

I watched "For Love or Money" for a little while, mostly because there was this smokin' hot girl on there, but of course when it was down to just her and the manipulative bitch, the dude chose the latter and she took the money and left him, serves him right! I never wanted to be a reality show contestant more than that though, because I would have chose the other girl and we would have lived happily ever after or died trying. :D

anii

homo-loving sonovagun
MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
Just curious if any of you like reality tv, and if so, what do you like?

Guilty as charged.

I also enjoy The Amazing Race and I really liked The Mole when it was first on; before they made the lame celebrity version. I managed to withstand the temptation to watch it this time. But only because they've replaced hotty Anderson Cooper with that godawful schmarmster who used to be the sportscaster on the local Austin Fox channel back when I was in grad school. I hate that guy.

I just finished watching American Idol and have become certifiably gaga over the winner, David Cook. My husband's this close to shipping me off to rehab. I wasn't a fan of the show and only used to watch the audition episodes and the funniest audition recaps; but that balding bartender from Tulsa sucked me in with his dark smokey voice. Oh and the eye-fucking.

I'm old school in that I started with Real World, then Road Rules. I don't watch those anymore; they've lost all social relevance (debatable if they ever had it) and become nothing more than "boys and girls gone wild in swanky rent-free mansion."

The lowest I've gone has been the dating shows. I'm ashamed to admit I watched both series of "Rock of Love" and both series of "Shot at Love." I agree that Dani got robbed; well I guess that depends on how you look at it. She's now hugely popular and can get any girl she wants. She's much better off without that overtanned lying ("Bobby dumped me!") twit who kept "Joysey" in the house long after his annoying schtick became tiresome and let some possibly better matches go. Of course, she has no intention of actually staying with the winner. There's too much money to be made - and attention to be milked - in sequels.

Other random shows I've watched: the last series of "Project Runway" just because that little hot tranny mess was so hilarious, and Big Brother (but only the series with Kaysar), Beauty and the Geek, and America's Next Top Model.

I cut back alot a couple of years ago, and right now I tell myself I'm just watching more while I bide my time during my countdown to freedom. Pretty soon, I won't even own TV. Cold turkey works best sometimes.

scantilyclad

almost nekkid
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
ah i forgot about project runway. i love project runway.

anii

homo-loving sonovagun
MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram

Ho hum.

I've been told that reality programming is much cheaper to produce and is an easy ratings booster.

spartan26

MBTI Type
INTP

Ho hum.
It's only gonna get worse because now they're gonna slash budgets on reality shows. :horor: The sad truth is they're so freckin' "scripted" and plotted out now, they'd be better off going all script and real talent instead of manufacturing bs. it's all dollars and cents. The rate you pay actors and writers including union contributions compared to the "amatuers" and consultants of reality TV could feed, water and power villages for years.

Not a fan of them, though I can't say I never watch any of them. I did like Blind Date when it first came on. I've seen bits and pieces of Joes vs Pros and thought that was cool. Some cooking shows are alright. I find ones outside of Food Network to be more to my liking. Just preparation, maybe some info about ingrediants, some of the other personality they try to throw in I can do w/out.

There was one show, I think it was called Starting Over, where the women in the house were trying to better themselves, economically, mentally, education, healthier relationships, etc. It reminded me of some places I'd volunteered. It was too positive and supportive so of course it didn't do squat in ratings and wasn't around long. i guess biggest loser is akin to that but I don't have a desire to watch that or many shows.