User Tag List

12 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 14

  1. #1
    Senior Member Ene's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Posts
    3,545

    Default Differences, similarities between N artists and S artists

    I was just wondering what you each see as the difference between S artists and N artists. Any artists around who care to tell what you preceive as the differences or perhaps share a bit about your creative/artistic process?

  2. #2
    Anew Leaf
    Guest

    Default

    I was an art major in college for a couple semesters, and I took this upper level painting class. Ugh... it was ALL ABOUT THE DAMN "PROCESS". I wanted to gouge my eyes out. My instructor showed us her process that we were supposed to emulate for the course.

    Her process for some painting she showed us:

    Step 1: Go to France.
    Step 2: Ride on trains through countryside making quick sketches.
    Step 3: Make colored sketches based on these sketches.
    Step 4: Make small paintings of these sketches on 5" x 5" canvases.
    Step 5: Make slightly larger paintings of these paintings.
    Step 6: Make even larger paintings of these paintings of these paintings.
    Step 7: Make a few very large paintings.
    Step 8: Start over with step 1 somewhere else.

    (Oh and insert this step anywhere: waste time actually making your own canvases instead of purchasing them predone.)

    I listened to an hour of her going through this process and noticing that I was pretty much the only person not nodding in agreement. I then raised my hand and said what looked obvious to me: "Why not just go from step 1 to step 6 or 7?" This was a mistake as I then got an added lecture on the importance of whatever this was.

    I still got an A in this class simply because it was Art and I argued with her that my own process was to leap about wildly on various topics and that her process didn't work for me.

    I kind of liked those subjective degree classes.

    The End.

  3. #3
    likes this gromit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    6,652

    Default

    I am not a trained artist, just like making stuff.

    For something concrete, a portrait or still life, I prefer the end result to look exactly like whatever I'm drawing or painting, at least proportionally.

    For something more abstract (like a pattern or stylized design) I usually have a general idea where I want something to go, gather up some examples from different sources, take the aspects of each that I like and sort of synthesize them, and then do iterations until the product is satisfactory.

    No idea how it applies to S or N though.

  4. #4
    morose bourgeoisie
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    3,860

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ene View Post
    I was just wondering what you each see as the difference between S artists and N artists. Any artists around who care to tell what you preceive as the differences or perhaps share a bit about your creative/artistic process?
    Are you asking about visual/tactile art only, or music and words too?

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will
    Posts
    5,927

    Default

    Um, I've actually asked myself this question before, and I never could think of a definitive answer.

    Hm, I guess a lot of it could possibly have to do with what it is that they are artistically depicting, like perhaps an S artist draws a picture of a rather realistic place that follows the laws of the directly observable world, and an N artist draws a picture of a dreamscape that bends the laws of nature in accordance with his own alternate design.

    Maybe also the S artist is more into how the picture looks, and the N artist might be more into what the picture means.

    I really don't know though. Anyone though can feel free to build on top of or debunk what I said though, should you agree or disagree on any level.

  6. #6
    likes this gromit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    6,652

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    I am not a trained artist, just like making stuff.

    For something concrete, a portrait or still life, I prefer the end result to look exactly like whatever I'm drawing or painting, at least proportionally.

    For something more abstract (like a pattern or stylized design) I usually have a general idea where I want something to go, gather up some examples from different sources, take the aspects of each that I like and sort of synthesize them, and then do iterations until the product is satisfactory.

    No idea how it applies to S or N though.
    @bolded, it might be more of an F thing, but you just can feeeeeeeel when it is "right" or when it's off. Feel almost disgusted when it's not right, and really peaceful and happy when it's right.

  7. #7
    Vulnerability Eilonwy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4 sp/so
    Posts
    6,177

    Default

    I've noticed more difference between J and P than S and N. For the life of me I can't do quick, loose drawings. I've tried and I always end up getting too detailed. From what I've seen, P's have an easier time producing a loose, less detailed style of art, while J's tend to produce a more controlled, detailed style of art. **


    **Disclaimer: in no way does this mean that ALL P's only produce loose, less detailed art and ALL J's only produce controlled, detailed art.



    ETA: And for the record, I envy the people who can do the quick, loose drawings.
    Johari / Nohari

    “That we are capable only of being what we are remains our unforgivable sin.” ― Gene Wolfe

    reminder to self: "That YOU that you are so proud of is a story woven together by your interpreter module to account for as much of your behavior as it can incorporate, and it denies or rationalizes the rest." "Who's in Charge? Free Will and the Science of the Brain" by Michael S. Gazzaniga

  8. #8
    Senior Member Ene's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Posts
    3,545

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stanton Moore View Post
    Are you asking about visual/tactile art only, or music and words too?
    Oh, Stanton...yes, any kind of art. Music, writing, etc.

  9. #9
    Junior Member Emerill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTp
    Posts
    21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eilonwy View Post
    I've noticed more difference between J and P than S and N. For the life of me I can't do quick, loose drawings. I've tried and I always end up getting too detailed. From what I've seen, P's have an easier time producing a loose, less detailed style of art, while J's tend to produce a more controlled, detailed style of art. **


    **Disclaimer: in no way does this mean that ALL P's only produce loose, less detailed art and ALL J's only produce controlled, detailed art.



    ETA: And for the record, I envy the people who can do the quick, loose drawings.
    I agree with this, but there is a difference between S's and N's

    S's tend to give their perception of how they see things around them, drawing people they know, different tangible subjects, and from what I see, they like to draw realistically or semi-realistically (only one that I know of that HASN'T done that, and I've been to many art classes). If they create something imaginative, it's usually drawn with the knowledge of things they've already seen and touched (aka, if they do something abstract for example, it's typically still or person, or something tangible) N's tend to be more abstract, and instead of giving their perception of how they see thing's around them, they give a little bit of how they see things in their mind. They lean more towards the imaginative, and if they draw something realistic, it's with their own flair put into in it.

    So, a breakdown of generalities across types (not all were like this)

    ISP's

    Tend to draw things they see and draw extremely realistically. However, the way they start is very loose and relaxed, even if the finished work is not.

    ISJ's

    Lean more towards realism, and they draw based on a certain method. Their process is very meticulous at times.

    INP's

    Tend to draw from their imagination. They're loose with it, and tend to make a bunch of doodles.

    INJ's

    Very meticulous and tend to be perfectionist's. Also draw from imagination.

    All types can draw abstractly and realistically as they please, of course, and all types are good in their own way. These are just what they seem to prefer.

  10. #10
    Junior Member Emerill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTp
    Posts
    21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RaptorWizard View Post
    Um, I've actually asked myself this question before, and I never could think of a definitive answer.

    Hm, I guess a lot of it could possibly have to do with what it is that they are artistically depicting, like perhaps an S artist draws a picture of a rather realistic place that follows the laws of the directly observable world, and an N artist draws a picture of a dreamscape that bends the laws of nature in accordance with his own alternate design.

    Maybe also the S artist is more into how the picture looks, and the N artist might be more into what the picture means.


    I really don't know though. Anyone though can feel free to build on top of or debunk what I said though, should you agree or disagree on any level.
    That's something I've noticed too.

Similar Threads

  1. Similarities between Microsoft software and malware
    By ygolo in forum Science, Technology, and Future Tech
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-23-2015, 04:19 PM
  2. [MBTItm] A Difference Between XNTJ types and XNTP types
    By Mondo in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 12-15-2010, 07:49 PM
  3. Differences between ESTP/ISTP and ENTJ
    By BlueScreen in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 09-15-2009, 09:03 PM
  4. Difference Between the Congress and the Market?
    By nomadic in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-06-2008, 01:29 AM
  5. Difference Between the ESTJ and the ENTJ
    By Ezra in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 12-28-2007, 07:56 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO