User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Differences, similarities between N artists and S artists

Away with the fairies Array Southern Kross's Avatar
    4w5 so/sp

Ooh, good topic. I've been thinking about this myself. I assume "artist" is meant in the broad terms - ie. all creative professions.

Here's my take on it. I'm just talking about it from the angle of music - although I think much of it applies generally.

Sensors - like to create a sense of a time, a place, an experience and reflect on the accompanying thoughts, sensations and emotions. It feels very immediate and evocative of a situation. Often telling a story. It can be like you're there, experiencing it too, or instead stirs up memories of your own experiences. Use metaphors to create the sense of the subjective reality.

Intuitives - like create something that is more removed from the direct experience. The lyrics circle the subject matter but often don't address it directly. Tend to be more esoteric in meaning. Not usually linear or story driven, and instead explores the "story" of the concept/emotion. Use metaphors to create a sense of the underlying elements/meaning.

So based on this perhaps you could say:

S artwork
    Evoke a sense of the experience
    Story of a situation
    Impressions of manifest elements

N artwork
    Evoke a sense of the concept
    Story of an abstraction
    Impressions of latent elements
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

- Emily Bronte
    Likes Noon liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Emerill View Post
    That's something I've noticed too.
    I just wanted to say that these are very observant answers and make a lot of sense.

That's very insightful and you may be onto something. However, as an N, I've always felt it important [in poetry and songs] to build a concrete world first then move my readers to an understanding of the abstract and methaphorical, but that could be a type thing more than an N thing. I'm uncertain. My song writing/poetry writing process is very simple. I allow myself one abstract for every three concrete images. That way I ground the sensors and touch the intuitives. Although, I didn't realize that when I first started doing it. I didn't know about MBTI and was only trying to "speak to all kinds of people" with my work.

Senior Member Array flameskull95's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Saturned View Post
    I was an art major in college for a couple semesters, and I took this upper level painting class. Ugh... it was ALL ABOUT THE DAMN "PROCESS". I wanted to gouge my eyes out. My instructor showed us her process that we were supposed to emulate for the course.

Her process for some painting she showed us:

Step 1: Go to France.
    Step 2: Ride on trains through countryside making quick sketches.
    Step 3: Make colored sketches based on these sketches.
    Step 4: Make small paintings of these sketches on 5" x 5" canvases.
    Step 5: Make slightly larger paintings of these paintings.
    Step 6: Make even larger paintings of these paintings of these paintings.
    Step 7: Make a few very large paintings.
    Step 8: Start over with step 1 somewhere else.

(Oh and insert this step anywhere: waste time actually making your own canvases instead of purchasing them predone.)

I listened to an hour of her going through this process and noticing that I was pretty much the only person not nodding in agreement. I then raised my hand and said what looked obvious to me: "Why not just go from step 1 to step 6 or 7?" This was a mistake as I then got an added lecture on the importance of whatever this was.

I still got an A in this class simply because it was Art and I argued with her that my own process was to leap about wildly on various topics and that her process didn't work for me.

I kind of liked those subjective degree classes.

The End.
    Hahaha this is pretty much how I would view it as well. Even though I'm not an artist, the more detailed teachings are what would make any N type go insane.
    I'm a INFP - The sociopath

I think I'm either a 4w5, 4w3, 6w5 or 9w1. Most possibly 4w5.

Feeling FiNe