• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[SP] sp`s and finances

jcloudz

Yup
MBTI Type
Istj
i read on here and other forums that we tend get easily into debt easily, can`t save for nothing. it basically can be said when it comes to money, our philosophy is "spend and god will send"

The Compulsive Money-Spender Personality Type (this is a fun article)

basically we are the compulsive spenders of mbti and of course our counter part "SJ" can make a dollar scream.(thinking of "sj"s walking around with butt cheeks clinched all day)

anyway,

when i think of this, i can agree somewhat to this. i like paying the bills off first, taking care of all the important things. im pretty frugal or at least in terms of what i like to do. i enjoy going to the gym and gaming. usually its under 100$ ish. i love investing in my property and making changes to the house...

what about you guys? can you save money? are you a compulsive spender? whats your money philosophy?

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
i read on here and other forums that we tend get easily into debt easily, can`t save for nothing. it basically can be said when it comes to money, our philosophy is "spend and god will send"

http://ms-dee.hubpages.com/hub/Money-Personalities-The-Compulsive-Spender (this is a fun article)

basically we are the compulsive spenders of mbti and of course our counter part "SJ" can make a dollar scream.(thinking of "sj"s walking around with butt cheeks clinched all day)

anyway,

when i think of this, i can agree somewhat to this. i like paying the bills off first, taking care of all the important things. im pretty frugal or at least in terms of what i like to do. i enjoy going to the gym and gaming. usually its under 100$ ish. i love investing in my property and making changes to the house...

what about you guys? can you save money? are you a compulsive spender? whats your money philosophy?
I'm not sure why you say you can somewhat agree. If you pay bills and save first, you're on the more frugal side of the average, not the compulsive spending side. :huh:

I can see why the SP stereotype would suggest more compulsive spending than other types - this may be more applicable for Se-doms, though. For me, I am so strongly self-pres (the other sp :D) that I seem to be far more frugal than most of my peers regardless of type. I don't mind spending money (if I have it to spare i.e. no debt, bills paid, savings ok), but put a high value on maximizing the happiness I can buy for each dollar spent.

W

WALMART

The other day I bought Halo 4 instead of paying my phone bill. Some may shun me for poor financial management, but I know where my priorities lie.

jcloudz

Yup
MBTI Type
Istj
The other day I bought Halo 4 instead of paying my phone bill. Some may shun me for poor financial management, but I know where my priorities lie.

you`re probably going to lock yourself in some sort of man cave, with little light and probably not going to want to be bothered for a while, during that time. not having a phone, minimizes interruptions and so it works out.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hmm. I saved 7 grand in 9 months. I was saving for a house. Yet, I bought a motorycle. Worth it? Yes. I can always save more. Haven't been in debt for years. Learned my lesson. But right now my savings are depleted. I'll bring it back up again tho.

jcloudz

Yup
MBTI Type
Istj
Hmm. I saved 7 grand in 9 months. I was saving for a house. Yet, I bought a motorycle. Worth it? Yes. I can always save more. Haven't been in debt for years. Learned my lesson. But right now my savings are depleted. I'll bring it back up again tho.

so its more like a yo-yo for you? until you see something you want more.

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP

FWIW, some of this behavior comes from overly curtailing miniature expenses, which build up into a single (maybe extinction event, long period though) large escape. It often happens if you abruptly change your earlier behaviors (ie: you may be repeating the same pattern by saying you will bring it back up again: better to just let it happen naturally and live your lifestyle reasonable and unconstrained).

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
so its more like a yo-yo for you? until you see something you want more.

Yeah. I guess so.

FWIW, some of this behavior comes from overly curtailing miniature expenses, which build up into a single (maybe extinction event, long period though) large escape. It often happens if you abruptly change your earlier behaviors (ie: you may be repeating the same pattern by saying you will bring it back up again: better to just let it happen naturally and live your lifestyle reasonable and unconstrained).

I've wanted a bike long before a home. It wasn't a knee jerk purchase. The timing was too good to pass up. I do go thru periods of...hibernation? Lol. Where it is easy to save. So it feels natural to me to do things this way. I like the feeling of having savings. But maybe I'm a nut. Who knows? ;)

Ryadai

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
I like the feeling of having savings. But maybe I'm a nut. Who knows? ;)

I know what you mean about that, I love knowing that I've saved money and that I have some put aside but then there will be this period of time when I buy everything and everything.
I don't even want a lot of it, in retrospect. Hurray for spending for the sake of spending!

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
I think it's mostly the ESFPs.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
My sister is an ESFP. She blows money like crazy and is terrible at saving long term. I'm great at saving but she's always having way more fun than me. Lol

R

Riva

My ESTP sister is terrible at saving money though she is an extremely hard worker - I am beginning to think she is an 6w5.

Hmm.. even my ESFP mother is terrible at saving money.

Compulsive Spenders is a strong word. Impulsive spenders maybe but not compulsive. I believe that is the word - Impulsive.

Infact even NPs would fall in to the impulsive spenders category.

But then again I've seen ISTP and ESTPs (oddly enough all males) who are extremely shrewd with money.

jixmixfix

Permabanned
I'm pretty decent with money, never been in debt or anything my INFJ sister on the other hand.....

roastingmallows

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Interesting...I think ESFPs definitely have it the worst, closely followed by either ESTPs or ISFPs, though from my experience, I don't think it applies much to ISTPs. My dad is an ISTP and very shrewd with money. Sometimes he'll make some large purchase that will seem surprisingly impulsive but turns out he's been thinking about it for a long time and he has already done all the budgeting and knows he can afford it. Reminded me of the bike story...

I on the other hand am both an impulsive and compulsive spender, however I am not in as much debt as I could be because I do not have expensive tastes. I don't care about clothes or electronics much. My weakness is consumables and I particularly love going out to eat. Not only that, but I am kind of an extravagant tipper and I often treat people. Money is not important to me, so I don't care to save it. If I have it, I will spend it. If I don't have it, I usually don't even notice.

My sister is an ISFP and she is pretty good with money, but sometimes I wonder if she might be an ISFJ. I don't know many ESTPs, but my stepdad is one and he has fairly expensive tastes and likes to go out to eat a lot too. Money is no object for him or my mom, who is an ENFP.