User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: ISTP Weaknesses

WALMART

Default ISTP Weaknesses

What do y'all perceive as weaknesses of the ISTP MBTI type variant?

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

Let's use some classic ISTP examples to explain potential problems for different figures within this type, like people from STAR WARS!

Darth Maul

Darth Maul is very action oriented and seems to have no interest whatsoever in diplomacy.

Han Solo

Han Solo loves adventure and is a rogue who takes orders from himself and listens to nobody.

Boba Fett

Boba Fett is a ruthless assassin who pays no heed to the emotions of others and is very solitary.

Well anyway a common theme between the three is that they are so caught up in independent action that they neglect other people which could be a strength but also a weakness.

Enneagram
    9w8

I'm just taking a guess, but I'd say not being aware of that "gut feeling" or intuition that something
    is amiss. Of course, some ISTPs will have this developed more than others.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I'm not very good at thinking very far from the box (Ne?). I'm excellent at thinking a short distance out of the box, though, if that makes sense. Just don't tend to wander very far from it.

I have a hard time remembering that most people don't think like me (and acting accordingly). I tend to assume that my train of thought is totally obvious and straightforward. Although that is probably not exclusive to ISTPs.
    -end of thread-

From an outsiders perspective (and only the 3 ISTP's I know well, dad, brother, and best friend) I'd say questioning peoples motives to assume the worst about them. This obviously could be anyone, but I have noticed it to be blatant with the ISTP's (self-tested) that I know. I view it as a weakness in the ones I know because not everyone is trying to harm them, yet they have a difficult time not seeing things that way. Ni out of control. When they have realized an error in assessing character on their part it has already done damage to a relationship, and they regretted their initial intuition and thinking. I think there's a loss of connection that they could have learned from if they were more open with others and not judged their integrity or character, but merely their behavior or.. even asked the person(s) in question what their side of the story actually was; they didn't though because they 'knew what was really happening.'

This is not to say ALL ISTP's do this, it is only my experience in talking with the ones I know and love.
    "It is not length of life, but depth of life." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Thought breeds thought." ~ Henry David Thoreau

Permabanned

1. Expressing emotions.
    2. Laziness.

Unapologetic being Evolving Transparency's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ESI Fi

Hmm. I dated an ISTP once. He really liked drugs. However he would never let anyone teach him how to drive...he was well over the age to start driving. So this would probably be an example of him only taking in the experiences that served him, or that he was used to. He tended to not like experiencing new things. It was as if he was really nervous on the inside. I didn't consider him lazy because of this...I saw it as apprehensive.

Also when we would go out, he talked to people in such a charismatic way and laughed and expressed himself easily. But when he was alone with me, I would find out he actually did NOT express himself easily. He had depth. The most depth for a sensor I have ever been able to find. But it was very difficult to uncover. I went out with him for 2 1/2 years. He used me along with many drugs. So I had to leave because we were not able to agree on a future together. I could not break up with him face to face...his attractiveness would have swayed me, I think ISTP's have this extreme way of attracting people, just so sensual <3.

I think Si plagues ISTP's or something, sometimes they think self growth is impossible. Also they want to sometimes cut themselves off from the rest of the world thinking that no one likes them...when in reality people love them!
    "Once the game is over, the Pawn and the King go back into the same box"

Freedom isn't free.
    "Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear." ~ Orwell
    I'm that person that embodies pretty much everything that you hate. Might as well get used to it.
    Unapologetically bonding in an uninhibited, propelled manner
    10w12

Permabanned

Quote Originally Posted by Urarienev View Post
    Hmm. I dated an ISTP once. He really liked drugs. However he would never let anyone teach him how to drive...he was well over the age to start driving. So this would probably be an example of him only taking in the experiences that served him, or that he was used to. He tended to not like experiencing new things. It was as if he was really nervous on the inside. I didn't consider him lazy because of this...I saw it as apprehensive.

Also when we would go out, he talked to people in such a charismatic way and laughed and expressed himself easily. But when he was alone with me, I would find out he actually did NOT express himself easily. He had depth. The most depth for a sensor I have ever been able to find. But it was very difficult to uncover. I went out with him for 2 1/2 years. He used me along with many drugs. So I had to leave because we were not able to agree on a future together. I could not break up with him face to face...his attractiveness would have swayed me, I think ISTP's have this extreme way of attracting people, just so sensual <3.

I think Si plagues ISTP's or something, sometimes they think self growth is impossible. Also they want to sometimes cut themselves off from the rest of the world thinking that no one likes them...when in reality people love them!
    Shhh that's cuz ISTPS are really Si..... *waits to get flamed by socionics haters*.

MBTI
    STP

I have no weakness...ok...I saw one..."Expressing emotions" This is hit or miss though, I just have to express them in my own way. Other then that I have no weakness though.
    Im out, its been fun

Unapologetic being Evolving Transparency's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ESI Fi

Quote Originally Posted by jixmixfix View Post
    Shhh that's cuz ISTPS are really Si..... *waits to get flamed by socionics haters*.
    Oh, Interesting
    "Once the game is over, the Pawn and the King go back into the same box"

Freedom isn't free.
    "Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear." ~ Orwell
    I'm that person that embodies pretty much everything that you hate. Might as well get used to it.
    Unapologetically bonding in an uninhibited, propelled manner
    10w12