• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISTP] ISTP Weaknesses

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Also, ISTPs. Or maybe just me are useless at organising things. Probably stems from laziness but getting important everyday things done, like paying bills, car tax, changing addresses, getting my hair cut etc etc just don't get done. I am a total disaster in that respect. Thats why it helps when I am with someone efficient who can kick my ass and make me do these things!

All my bills are Auto pay :D I make it through life for the most part though. If I dont have a list I dont get shit done, and the kicker is that I dont write lists very often to keep track of everything. I try to make sure whats important gets done and everything else is up in the air on what I want to do. Of course I am usually not in a hurry to get done whats important and usually I do things last minute.

My ex thought I was gonna come crawling back to her because I would be incapable to run my own life. LMAO...I am happier and less stressed without her then I was with her. She made the comment to me "I made things hard"...yeah, your ass is all anal and an emotional wreck with mental issues, had nothing to do with reaching goals or having dreams and actually having to work or all the crap that goes along with that.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
ISTP's tend to suck with 2 things:

1. Delayed gratification
2. They generally suck with communication. For some reason it just seems like words are necessary to the ISTP.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
ISTP's tend to suck with 2 things:

1. Delayed gratification
2. They generally suck with communication. For some reason it just seems like words are necessary to the ISTP.

I dont have any problems with Delayed gratification. No comment on #2..its hit or miss for me.

Lux

Kraken down on piracy
[MENTION=7647]Lux[/MENTION]. I work with two other ISTPs. We all work for a ENTJ. Before I knew their types we all had crazy similar viewpoints on things. Including the main point of what you said. I believe I even said something like "who does anything nice for someone unless they want something?" this was all met with nodding heads with the exception of the ENTJ.

I don't see this as a negative. It generally is proven true with us when dealing with people and we view it as self-evident rather than pessimistic. At least I do.

Thank you for replying. I was speaking in terms of the ISTP's I know, and they have told me in conversations of their regret for doing this in some instances, not all trust me, they're right on the assholistic nature of many. That sliver of regret means that they feel they lost out on something, which to them in retrospect was a negative.

I think people are people and often times it is hard to trust their motivates. An innate biological selfishness does exist, however, there are times and people that you can learn from if you don't close yourself off to it. I'm not saying 'you' you, just in general. That is what I saying was a weakness; the close guarding of self is a part of them, the instinctual distrust of another. This can go both ways, protection and missing out on connection or something new. My best friend and I have spoken on him honing his ability/vulnerability and refining it to be more accurate and precise in assessment, rather than a shield that keeps out everything, the good and the bad intent.

W

WALMART

Some of their ilk prefer the Star Wars Prequel Sequels to the masterpiece that is Empire.

I cannot say many would prefer the prequel sequels to Empire.

It's more of an obligatory experience relative to the greatness of the original trilogy.

R

Riva

ISTPs when extremely unhealthy -

ISTPs when extremely unhealthy -

Expressing themselves
A bit too independent (I'm too lazy to elaborate this point to indicate the gravity of it).
Desires external stimulation and socializing but too bored to make it happen.
Lacks expression capabilities to enjoy when it (what I said above) happens.
Unable to make the most out of most situations - unlike esps).
Lacks decisiveness.
Not so romantic.
Not as badass as they are rumoured to be.
Not as suave as they are rumoured to be.
Hot headed.
Though not serious are quite defensive.
Though fun are not very entertaining.
Not so fun either.
Lacks confidence in their capabilities.
Sometimes think too much into what is unrelated (tert Ni),
Unable to decide what is and what is not important when things get a bit too complicated (Has Ni but it isn't primary or secondary - having Ni is sometimes a pain in the ass probably).
Though SPs are unable to enjoy the moment too much.
Though thinks ahead are unable to plan ahead.

Arnold Schwartzenegger... (The bodybuilder) isn't an ISTP - what does that have to do with the topic? Xstps are supposed to be (even theoretically) the masculine type. Yet the champ of them all isn't one.

Last edited:

lauranna

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Expressing themselves A bit too independent (i'm too lazy to elaborate this point to indicate the gravity of it) Desires external stimulation and socializing but too bored to make it happen. Lacks expression capabilities to enjoy when it (what I said above) happens Unable to make the most out of most situations - contrary to esps). Lacks decisiveness. Not so romantic. Not as badass as they are rumoured to be. Not as suave as they are rumoured to be. Hot headed. Though not serious are quite defensive. Though fun are not very entertaining. Not so fun either. Lacks confidence in their capabilities. Sometimes think too much into what is unrelated (tert Ni), Unable to decide what is and what is not important when things get a bit too complicated (Has Ni but it isn't primary or secondary - having Ni is sometimes a pain in the ass probably). Though sp are unable to enjoy the moment too much. Though thinks ahead are unable to plan ahead. Arnold Schwartzenegger... (The bodybuilder) isn't an istp - what does that have to do with the topic? Xstps are supposed to be (even theoretically) the mascuile type. Yet the champ of them all isn't one.

Woah that is a lot of weaknesses. You got any good things to say about ISTPs?

jixmixfix

Permabanned
Expressing themselves A bit too independent (i'm too lazy to elaborate this point to indicate the gravity of it) Desires external stimulation and socializing but too bored to make it happen. Lacks expression capabilities to enjoy when it (what I said above) happens Unable to make the most out of most situations - contrary to esps). Lacks decisiveness. Not so romantic. Not as badass as they are rumoured to be. Not as suave as they are rumoured to be. Hot headed. Though not serious are quite defensive. Though fun are not very entertaining. Not so fun either. Lacks confidence in their capabilities. Sometimes think too much into what is unrelated (tert Ni), Unable to decide what is and what is not important when things get a bit too complicated (Has Ni but it isn't primary or secondary - having Ni is sometimes a pain in the ass probably). Though sp are unable to enjoy the moment too much. Though thinks ahead are unable to plan ahead. Arnold Schwartzenegger... (The bodybuilder) isn't an istp - what does that have to do with the topic? Xstps are supposed to be (even theoretically) the mascuile type. Yet the champ of them all isn't one.

I`m too lazy to respond to all this bull.
P.S
State some real weaknesses not what you simply don`t like about ISTPs.

W

WALMART

I think it's a fair enough assessment of things people would potentially dislike about us. I think of it as a Venn Diagram: things that are me, things I see in others and things Riva Ne's out of thin air :p

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Expressing themselves
A bit too independent (I'm too lazy to elaborate this point to indicate the gravity of it).
Desires external stimulation and socializing but too bored to make it happen.
Lacks expression capabilities to enjoy when it (what I said above) happens.
Unable to make the most out of most situations - unlike esps).
Lacks decisiveness.
Not so romantic.
Not as badass as they are rumoured to be.
Not as suave as they are rumoured to be.
Hot headed.
Though not serious are quite defensive.
Though fun are not very entertaining.
Not so fun either.
Lacks confidence in their capabilities.
Sometimes think too much into what is unrelated (tert Ni),
Unable to decide what is and what is not important when things get a bit too complicated (Has Ni but it isn't primary or secondary - having Ni is sometimes a pain in the ass probably).
Though SPs are unable to enjoy the moment too much.
Though thinks ahead are unable to plan ahead.

Arnold Schwartzenegger... (The bodybuilder) isn't an ISTP - what does that have to do with the topic? Xstps are supposed to be (even theoretically) the masculine type. Yet the champ of them all isn't one.

A bunch of these are not true even as general trends ("lacks confidence", what in the fuck?), and most of the rest are either not weaknesses or make no sense. You sound like you're butthurt about an istp or two and assuming that all the traits you don't like about them apply to ISTPs in general. Try harder, or not at all.

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
ISTPs have a couple of weaknesses 1) inability to be vulnerable often hampers their relationships 2) low inhibition of immediate desires. They're generally pretty good people though and pretty badass. Personally, I really like the "righteous revenge" ISTPs like that dude in Léon: The Professional. Actually, I was thinking yesterday that some ISTP chicks are pretty fucking hot and totally undervalued

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Weakness, you better get close to me before you try anything or you will get a stone wall. I am slow to be intimate/bond.

Weakness independent...I have no fear of letting people go. It sucks to do it, but I dont have that fear that causes me to have some attachment syndrome.

Weakness is completely dependent on wants. My strength can be a weakness if it keeps me from certain wants. Its funny how people seem to think weaknesses are some constant trait, when they are completely dependent on want/goal/etc.

W

WALMART

I have to be 'high' from a situation to really break out of my cage. I'm kind of a tethered spirit.

R

Riva

I`m too lazy to respond to all this bull.
P.S
State some real weaknesses not what you simply don`t like about ISTPs.

I think it's a fair enough assessment of things people would potentially dislike about us. I think of it as a Venn Diagram: things that are me, things I see in others and things Riva Ne's out of thin air :p

A bunch of these are not true even as general trends ("lacks confidence", what in the fuck?), and most of the rest are either not weaknesses or make no sense. You sound like you're butthurt about an istp or two and assuming that all the traits you don't like about them apply to ISTPs in general. Try harder, or not at all.

Fine fine I take it all back. Not all of it but most of it. I guess what I described was an unhealthy version of an ISTP. Then again any type who is unhealthy would exhibit those same traits.

So I take it back.

Woah that is a lot of weaknesses. You got any good things to say about ISTPs?

Of course there are good things.

When matures they become quite expressive / Fe - almost as good as an ENFJ - and seductively so - until then they are a bit too mute.
Seldom worries - I am yet to see an ISTP ever complain. (Maybe E6s do).
Seldom worries because no matter how bad things get their Ti tells them it can be fixed.
It can be fixed - any dysfunctional situation - No I am not talking about broken down machines.
Either extremely hot headed or extremely cool - Probably the latter are So/Sx types.
Though no Einsteins can quickly grasp anything Einstein or other scientists have said.
The most rational of the non-rational types - it wouldn't hurt to put them in the NT category.
Loyal and dependable - even if not the coolest are almost always the most dependable - what is friendship if not dependability and trust?
Always always always seems to somehow survive / get by / get through - like cockroaches - that was a compliment.
Tends to know what to do.
Bold - this is their Thor's Hammer
Strategic

Hmm.. more to add. I'm adding traits I have noticed in ISTPs I know, not the traits what the descriptions say.

Last edited:

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
I dont have any problems with Delayed gratification. No comment on #2..its hit or miss for me.

Well, I've noticed that when ISTP's develop Ni they get a lot better with delayed gratification. Se is a very action based function and I find that many ISTP's will just take action without thinking of the consequences. However, when ISTP's develop Ni, the Ni almost has the same effect as a laser being shined on a mirror, and the Ni comes back and hits them and makes them say to themselves, "Well that was a crappy idea."

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
I've also noticed that ISTP's usually suck with jobs that require a lot of emotion care. For instance, I think that most Istp's would make lousy nurses for this reason. Let's face it, ISTP's are thinking doms, and are Fe last. They just aren't emotional people.