• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISTP] ISTP Weaknesses

W

WALMART

What do y'all perceive as weaknesses of the ISTP MBTI type variant?

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Let's use some classic ISTP examples to explain potential problems for different figures within this type, like people from STAR WARS!

Darth Maul
275px-Darthmaultpb.jpg

Darth Maul is very action oriented and seems to have no interest whatsoever in diplomacy.

Han Solo
hansolo.jpg

Han Solo loves adventure and is a rogue who takes orders from himself and listens to nobody.

Boba Fett
366px-BobaFettEAtlas.jpg

Boba Fett is a ruthless assassin who pays no heed to the emotions of others and is very solitary.

Well anyway a common theme between the three is that they are so caught up in independent action that they neglect other people which could be a strength but also a weakness.

Ene

MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
5w4
I'm just taking a guess, but I'd say not being aware of that "gut feeling" or intuition that something
is amiss. Of course, some ISTPs will have this developed more than others.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm not very good at thinking very far from the box (Ne?). I'm excellent at thinking a short distance out of the box, though, if that makes sense. Just don't tend to wander very far from it.

I have a hard time remembering that most people don't think like me (and acting accordingly). I tend to assume that my train of thought is totally obvious and straightforward. Although that is probably not exclusive to ISTPs.

Lux

Kraken down on piracy
From an outsiders perspective (and only the 3 ISTP's I know well, dad, brother, and best friend) I'd say questioning peoples motives to assume the worst about them. This obviously could be anyone, but I have noticed it to be blatant with the ISTP's (self-tested) that I know. I view it as a weakness in the ones I know because not everyone is trying to harm them, yet they have a difficult time not seeing things that way. Ni out of control. When they have realized an error in assessing character on their part it has already done damage to a relationship, and they regretted their initial intuition and thinking. I think there's a loss of connection that they could have learned from if they were more open with others and not judged their integrity or character, but merely their behavior or.. even asked the person(s) in question what their side of the story actually was; they didn't though because they 'knew what was really happening.'

This is not to say ALL ISTP's do this, it is only my experience in talking with the ones I know and love.

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hmm. I dated an ISTP once. He really liked drugs. However he would never let anyone teach him how to drive...he was well over the age to start driving. So this would probably be an example of him only taking in the experiences that served him, or that he was used to. He tended to not like experiencing new things. It was as if he was really nervous on the inside. I didn't consider him lazy because of this...I saw it as apprehensive.

Also when we would go out, he talked to people in such a charismatic way and laughed and expressed himself easily. But when he was alone with me, I would find out he actually did NOT express himself easily. He had depth. The most depth for a sensor I have ever been able to find. But it was very difficult to uncover. I went out with him for 2 1/2 years. He used me along with many drugs. So I had to leave because we were not able to agree on a future together. I could not break up with him face to face...his attractiveness would have swayed me, I think ISTP's have this extreme way of attracting people, just so sensual <3.

I think Si plagues ISTP's or something, sometimes they think self growth is impossible. Also they want to sometimes cut themselves off from the rest of the world thinking that no one likes them...when in reality people love them!

jixmixfix

Permabanned
Hmm. I dated an ISTP once. He really liked drugs. However he would never let anyone teach him how to drive...he was well over the age to start driving. So this would probably be an example of him only taking in the experiences that served him, or that he was used to. He tended to not like experiencing new things. It was as if he was really nervous on the inside. I didn't consider him lazy because of this...I saw it as apprehensive.

Also when we would go out, he talked to people in such a charismatic way and laughed and expressed himself easily. But when he was alone with me, I would find out he actually did NOT express himself easily. He had depth. The most depth for a sensor I have ever been able to find. But it was very difficult to uncover. I went out with him for 2 1/2 years. He used me along with many drugs. So I had to leave because we were not able to agree on a future together. I could not break up with him face to face...his attractiveness would have swayed me, I think ISTP's have this extreme way of attracting people, just so sensual <3.

I think Si plagues ISTP's or something, sometimes they think self growth is impossible. Also they want to sometimes cut themselves off from the rest of the world thinking that no one likes them...when in reality people love them!

Shhh that's cuz ISTPS are really Si.....:) *waits to get flamed by socionics haters*.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I have no weakness...ok...I saw one..."Expressing emotions" This is hit or miss though, I just have to express them in my own way. Other then that I have no weakness though.

W

WALMART

I have no weakness...ok...I saw one..."Expressing emotions" This is hit or miss though, I just have to express them in my own way. Other then that I have no weakness though.

Hubris.

Tonight I realized something about myself. I am typically slow to anger, but certain things send my temper through the fucking roof.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Hubris.

Tonight I realized something about myself. I am typically slow to anger, but certain things send my temper through the fucking roof.

LOL...my other weakness...lack of actually being serious most of the time. Strength...being a smart ass :newwink:

Soka

MBTI Type
ISTP
I think it's difficult to express my emotions, and I tend to stop talking to people when I try to figure out what I'm feeling. People often think that I'm sad or irritated when this happens.

lauranna

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Also, ISTPs. Or maybe just me are useless at organising things. Probably stems from laziness but getting important everyday things done, like paying bills, car tax, changing addresses, getting my hair cut etc etc just don't get done. I am a total disaster in that respect. Thats why it helps when I am with someone efficient who can kick my ass and make me do these things!

jixmixfix

Permabanned
Also, ISTPs. Or maybe just me are useless at organising things. Probably stems from laziness but getting important everyday things done, like paying bills, car tax, changing addresses, getting my hair cut etc etc just don't get done. I am a total disaster in that respect. Thats why it helps when I am with someone efficient who can kick my ass and make me do these things!

Im not that bad there but if its not important ill wait it out, i can go two weeks without shaving.

lauranna

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Im not that bad there but if its not important ill wait it out, i can go two weeks without shaving.

Maybe it is just me.
I think I just don't attach any importance to shitty paperwork even though it clearly is important in life.... hmmmm or maybe my laziness is on its own level of lazy.

W

WALMART

Maybe it is just me.
I think I just don't attach any importance to shitty paperwork even though it clearly is important in life.... hmmmm or maybe my laziness is on its own level of lazy.

At the very least, you are not alone. I tend to let things slide until they directly interfere with my personal existence, or I have a surplus of energy that I must expend. I can usually find other outlets that feel more 'constructive' though.... which is why they never get done.

I'd chalk up about 25% to laziness, lol.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=7647]Lux[/MENTION]. I work with two other ISTPs. We all work for a ENTJ. Before I knew their types we all had crazy similar viewpoints on things. Including the main point of what you said. I believe I even said something like "who does anything nice for someone unless they want something?" this was all met with nodding heads with the exception of the ENTJ.

I don't see this as a negative. It generally is proven true with us when dealing with people and we view it as self-evident rather than pessimistic. At least I do.

But to answer the OP. I think I may have slight ADHD. Also, I have an insanely hard time making decisions when it comes to how I feel about something or someone. Because it seems to change often and people can lose patience dealing with that. That's been a real problem for me.