• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[SP] Where do I find other SPs IRL? (bit of vent)

alicia91

According to Tieger & Barron, the breakdown of the types is:

SJ- 46%
SP- 27%
NF- 16%
NT- 10%

Seems about right, but how come I can't meet more SPs? Where are they? Seems like EVERYONE I meet is an SJ. Don't get me wrong I have many SJ friends but I feel a particular connection with other SPs and I have trouble finding them. Two of my closest friends are SPs, and when we met we immediately bonded, and I have plenty of SP family (but they live far away), but that's about it.

So where in the suburban midwest do SPs congregate? Certainly not in my neighborhood, the PTA, the church. I think I knew more of them in college but they must have grown up? LOL

Do all SPs become SJs when they mature? (just kidding but.........)

Firelie

Magical
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Try a bar? lol The only SP I've bothered getting to know was a total party girl.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hmm one ISTP guy I met through my friend, who's in his band.
I have an ISTP roommate who we found by advertising for a roommate.
I have an ESTP friend who I know through another friend, an ISFP, who I know from sports.
I think there are a couple other STPs at sports, too.

So mainly through friends, which isn't very helpful, I realize.

alicia91

It seemed easier when I was younger, now that I'm a middle-aged suburban mom who no longer hangs out in bars, it's much harder. Where the heck did they all disappear to?

I joined a gym recently, hopefully I'll find a few there.

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
they are outside playing. seriously.

Exactly! You might find them on a forum for discussing outside activities.. sports, partying, performances of all sorts and all. But only as a means to an end.

They won't often be in libraries, or general discussion forums.

nozflubber

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
MBTI Type
Hype
It's been my experience that you can't swing a dead cat without hitting half a dozen ISFPs, so I'm not sure you're looking very hard.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
It's been my experience that you can't swing a dead cat without hitting half a dozen ISFPs, so I'm not sure you're looking very hard.

So that's YOU that keeps hitting me with a dead cat! I thought maybe it was just raining. :eek:uch:

6sticks

MBTI Type
istp
Loosely organized tribal organizations geared around a specific activity, like hunting or gathering.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I'm guessing the smarter SP's with more self-control mistype as NP's or even SJ's at times.

I don't think many people really want to be seen as a type who's stereotyped as impulsive, opportunistic, poor at planning, and struggles with learning. So if they can look like another type, they probably will.

I'm also thinking that many of them like to avoid civilization so they can be "wild." I think a lot of them are in biker gangs.

Not that SP's actually have all these problems, but it's easy to get that impression from the profiles.

heart

heart on fire
I think to find SP as they get into 30s and 40s, you'd need to go hang out on playgrounds and little league areas and such. They are probably all out playing with their own children.

I don't run into many NF in my offline life either.

arborvitae

MBTI Type
ISFP
Maybe you could look at groups oriented around crafty creative hobbies. When I imagine my lifestyle as an older adult, I like to think of filling my free time with activities like cooking, gardening, home improvement, painting, etc. I don't know if those things are attractive to other SPs though.

Mort Belfry

Rats off to ya!
MBTI Type
INTP
They're all in prison where they belong.

Only joking, there are one or two "good ones". But seriously though, they're probably in prison.

6sticks

MBTI Type
istp
I think to find SP as they get into 30s and 40s, you'd need to go hang out on playgrounds and little league areas and such.
Also a good way to get sent to prison.

alicia91

I don't think many people really want to be seen as a type who's stereotyped as impulsive, opportunistic, poor at planning, and struggles with learning

Now you are all making me doubt my type. LOL

I'm a university-educated, creative, driven, hardworking, multi-tasking, entrepeneurial, open-minded, learned-to be good at planning, who loves to learn ISFP. I think when you get to be my age (early 40s) most of us who are successful have developed our other functions and become quite balanced. Well, at least if you are an ISFP, otherwise you aren't going very far in life. The only way I found my type was looking at my natural behavior 20 years ago.

Maybe you could look at groups oriented around crafty creative hobbies

I tried a scrapbooking class, but they were all SJs. Hated scrapbooking, I'm just not sentimental. Right now I'm looking for a photography class and perhaps that might be good.

They won't often be in libraries, or general discussion forums

Maybe I'm just too atypical then. I love libraries - I almost went into Library Sciences in college. I'm also a bit of a computer geek, probably because I'm a chatty introvert and the net just seems easier.

My two SP friends that I mentioned earlier are a fashion designer and graphic artist, so I guess I need to look for them in the creative arts. All three of us are more 'planners/designers' than actual doers and we often laugh about that, I think that's what keeps us away from gardening, cooking etc. We just like to make the plans and hand them over to others to implement. LOL

Anyhow, back home in Toronto I had no trouble finding like-minded friends but here in the Detroit burbs it's been hard. The three of us, who are all from other areas complain that we are living in the Bible-belt and everyone is very Stepfordish. When I was a little younger and my life was very much geared to raising kids I connected a lot with the SJs and it was fine for a time. Now I'm older and have more free time I was hoping to make some new friends and connect with people more like myself.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
The smarter SP's mistype as NT's or whatever this means... wanna go to the movies, I am gonna lean my arm around you huuuuuuuuuuuuuge... brown eyes xD

Usehername

On a mission
Alicia you should take up cycling. Road biking. Not an impact sport like running, it's great for your body with relatively little wear and tear... you can feel like you're flying.... and any sport is likely to have a few SPs around (for the times you don't want to solo ride but instead socialize). I will help you pick a perfect bike as I'm pretty much a certified expert. :yes: This is how you will find your SPs. Decided!