• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISTP] What Are ISTP's All About?

W

WALMART

If you had to define ISTPism in your own words, how would you do it?

I've had it recently put forth by my peers that ISTP may be more fitting for my MBTI, though I do not know anything of the type.

If you have noticed my posts and have any input, that would be lovely as well.

[MENTION=15371]RaptorWizard[/MENTION] - I feel you may have valuable information inside your brain.

jixmixfix

Permabanned
Do you expect an istp warm welcome? Cuz your probably not getting it.:newwink:

Eugene Watson VIII

Senor Membrae
MBTI Type
xxxP
Enneagram
?
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Less theoretical unlike the INTP. Can enjoy abstract stuff but usually finds it pointless and would like their interests to have some tangibleness, which is why they are usually in more mechanical or hands on stuff I suppose. ISTP 5s resemble INTPs in a lot of ways but wont enjoy the intuitive leaps as much.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Ok I spent half of my 18 year life thinking I was ISTP and even a lot of people on the forum think that is my type so I will cover the basics of the type here:
1. SP Artisan Temperament
2. Ti Dominant like INTP
3. Potential Personality Disorders include Passive Aggressive and Antisocial
4. Most theoretically inclined and logical of all the sensors
5. Most physically adept of all the sensors
6. Enjoy hands on activities
7. Often good with mechanics and trade skills (hence Keirsey named it the "Crafter")
8. Not very verbose as actions for them speak louder than words
9. Independent and not fond of authority
10. Will not do work that is boring and noninteresting to them (hence they can do very badly in school "just like me!")

I would put up a list of famous examples of ISTPs though they are mostly just a bunch of sleezy actors and movie stars. I suspect that a lot of the people in the INTP list really belong in the ISTP list. ISTP is indeed an enigma because it is described as such an intellectual type yet there are virtually no famous examples of scientists or philosophers of that type so either lots of the INTPs and maybe even some of the INTJs are really mistyped or ISTP is indeed made out to be more intellectual in the descriptions then it really is. I think that psychologists have neglected the sensors for far too long as there are many mysteries that still surround them, particularly the ISPs.

On another note [MENTION=5356]Speed Gavroche[/MENTION] told me the other day that it is very rare for ISTPs to be 5s yet many of the ISTPs on this forum claim to be 5s so again either they are really ISTPs mistyped as 5s, they are really INTP 5s mistyped as ISTPs, and/or ISTP is generally not type 5 and hence is not an intellectually inclined type.

My favorite self proclaimed ISTP on this forum is [MENTION=7278]jixmixfix[/MENTION] so I wonder if he has a valuable opinion for us just like I did.

I hope that helps you [MENTION=15886]jontherobot[/MENTION] and whoever else is confused about ISTPs and indeed I will admit I am even a bit confused myself.

edit - Perhaps the opinion of [MENTION=16155]Crafter[/MENTION] would also be helpful to you.

StephMC

Controlled Mischief
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If I had to define the essence of my type, it would be all about energy conservation. It's about applying leverage to a situation -- maximizing results with minimal energy spent. A lot of quiet observation and logical thinking, then bursts of action. It's our distaste for wasting energy that may make some of us look lazy.

We enjoy learning by using a hands-on approach. Sure, we enjoy reading about a topic that interests us, but it may only be used as a tool to feed us just enough information for us to jump into it ourselves. I mention this because one of the ENTPs I know (and an INTP I know, for that matter) can read a textbook front to back in a matter of weeks on a technical topic that interests him. If it were me, I'd read major sections of the book, jump into the subject using a hands-on approach, then refer back to the book when I needed more details.

When I think about the future, it's brief (unless stressed), and only in order to get enough information about what my goal is. It's not usually a refined goal. It's a general direction. For instance, I may not know what I want in X area of my life. I'll spend time playing with different scenarios, and at the least rule out ones I don't want. In the end, I may still end up with a few different options, but I'll find a common element, and an action needed to be taken for that common element. I'll just focus on that single action, and re-evaluate when necessary. This is my own interpretation of the Chart-The-Course Interaction style. I realize this can sound pretty similar to the Get-Things-Going Interaction style, but using the same ENTP I know, he actually entertains each and every possibility. He'll express a lot of them out loud, and may even be intent on pursuing each one for a period of time. Most of those possibilities I entertain (which are probably already an abbreviated version of ALL the possibilities since I've subconsciously discounted several already) are only entertained for a few moments. I may only entertain 2 or 3 for an extended period of a time, while he'd entertain several. The INTP I know may also only entertain a few like I do, but he won't rule out options based on practicality and feasibility like I would.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Ok I spent half of my 18 year life thinking I was ISTP and even a lot of people on the forum think that is my type so I will cover the basics of the type here:
1. SP Artisan Temperament
2. Ti Dominant like INTP
3. Potential Personality Disorders include Passive Aggressive and Antisocial
4. Most theoretically inclined and logical of all the sensors
5. Most physically adept of all the sensors
6. Enjoy hands on activities
7. Often good with mechanics and trade skills (hence Keirsey named it the "Crafter")
8. Not very verbose as actions for them speak louder than words
9. Independent and not fond of authority
10. Will not do work that is boring and noninteresting to them (hence they can do very badly in school "just like me!")

I would put up a list of famous examples of ISTPs though they are mostly just a bunch of sleezy actors and movie stars. I suspect that a lot of the people in the INTP list really belong in the ISTP list. ISTP is indeed an enigma because it is described as such an intellectual type yet there are virtually no famous examples of scientists or philosophers of that type so either lots of the INTPs and maybe even some of the INTJs are really mistyped or ISTP is indeed made out to be more intellectual in the descriptions then it really is. I think that psychologists have neglected the sensors for far too long as there are many mysteries that still surround them, particularly the ISPs.

On another note [MENTION=5356]Speed Gavroche[/MENTION] told me the other day that it is very rare for ISTPs to be 5s yet many of the ISTPs on this forum claim to be 5s so again either they are really ISTPs mistyped as 5s, they are really INTP 5s mistyped as ISTPs, and/or ISTP is generally not type 5 and hence is not an intellectually inclined type.

My favorite self proclaimed ISTP on this forum is [MENTION=7278]jixmixfix[/MENTION] so I wonder if he has a valuable opinion for us just like I did.

I hope that helps you [MENTION=15886]jontherobot[/MENTION] and whoever else is confused about ISTPs and indeed I will admit I am even a bit confused myself.

I like 1-10the and agree. Have yet to rread the rest of the post.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
ISTPs are deep thinkers. It may not be expressed in words but in our minds, we are churning things around. We are pretty straightforward if we know something. Most interpersonal questions leave us stumbling. A lot of my interaction with NTs is trying to keep up with the flow of their conversation. They process things super fast and jump to places while I'm pondering their first question. Im in awe of that but I often feel overwhelmed because the questions they ask are stuff I usually don't think about and if they just waited for my response before jumping along - I would infinitely like their company much better. Not that I don't, but it can be tiring always listening or being interrupted. NTs would do well to stop and actively listen and maybe use my answer as a jumping point in conversation instead of their next thought.

Otherwise, [MENTION=6448]StephMC[/MENTION] gave a pretty good overview.

Lith

MBTI Type
ISTP
If I had to define the essence of my type, it would be all about energy conservation. It's about applying leverage to a situation -- maximizing results with minimal energy spent. A lot of quiet observation and logical thinking, then bursts of action. It's our distaste for wasting energy that may make some of us look lazy.
Yes. I like shortcuts. I refuse to do anything the hard way. One thing that really turns me on is mechanical advantage, in fact that's what the ISTP nickname "The Mechanics" means to me. Every seemingly impossible task has a hidden, easy solution. Like if MacGyver finds a woman trapped under a giant canoe, it's no problem: he just fashions a winch by twisting a double rope with a lever, and voila, results.

(I always think of the MacGyver winch because I've used it for so many things myself. It delivers a staggering amount of force with very little effort. My fellow ISTPs will agree that this is exciting.)

As an ISTP I like to extend this principle to everything in life. When I have a problem I may sink into a morose state of deep reflection, but really it's because I know there has to be a simple solution. If I move the pieces around in my head long enough, they eventually fall into place and everything makes sense again.

Of course there's a hell of a lot more to be said about ISTPs but this post is already 5x too long by ISTP standards.

W

WALMART

[MENTION=7278]jixmixfix[/MENTION] [MENTION=15964]minutegovt[/MENTION] [MENTION=15371]RaptorWizard[/MENTION] [MENTION=6448]StephMC[/MENTION] [MENTION=12103]_Poki_[/MENTION] [MENTION=5223]MDP2525[/MENTION] [MENTION=16416]Lith[/MENTION]

Very informational and interesting posts, thank you everyone.

Should you care to answer, do you feel a healthy in thought or high functioning entp could be mistaken for an istp ever?

Crafter

MBTI Type
ISTP
Not sure I have enough information to type you. I think [MENTION=15371]RaptorWizard[/MENTION] pretty much nailed it in his 1-10 post. I don't mind abstract stuff, but I do however need to see a point in discussing it, otherwise it's pretty useless. I need reasons (how to solve a problem or like a goal) to do things or learn them. When I learn something, I need to use the knowledge in a practical way so that I can implement it in my "how to solve problems based from experience"-book.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
[MENTION=7278]jixmixfix[/MENTION] [MENTION=15964]minutegovt[/MENTION] [MENTION=15371]RaptorWizard[/MENTION] [MENTION=6448]StephMC[/MENTION] [MENTION=12103]_Poki_[/MENTION] [MENTION=5223]MDP2525[/MENTION] [MENTION=16416]Lith[/MENTION]

Should you care to answer, do you feel a healthy in thought or high functioning entp could be mistaken for an istp ever?

no, atleast not the ENTPs I know.

Lith

MBTI Type
ISTP
I saw an ENTP mistyped as ISTP once. It was pretty obvious though.

ISTPs do on occasion get mistaken for ENTP, particularly the ones who know how to be funny. A little known fact is that a lot of good comedy writers are ISTP. Their style is different however. To the untrained eye it may look similar to Ne humor, but it's not Ne at all. Ne is random and way out there. ISTP humor is mostly observational, or at least tied to reality. It uses a lot of references, analogies and various other "devices" to help deliver the most impact in as few words as possible. When it works, it works well--but it's absolutely not Ne.
ISTPs should never even attempt to mimic Ne.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I am all about enjoying life. Let go or get past what makes it not enjoyable and just enjoy it and have fun. Dont dwell on the mundane, just do it. Dont become overly critical/stressed about what has happened, just move on.

I dont look back to much and reminisce about they past, I generally tend to keep moving forward(atleast its forward for me).

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Not the ones I know. I can see ENTJ being mistaken before ENTP. Have you thought of that? If ENTJs have well developed Ni and Se, we can often end up thinking similarly. They still will look different than ISTP tho. Every ISTP i know has an almost "wait and see" kind of patience about them. It's pretty marked.