• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISTP] Are ISTPs the most mysterious/confusing personality type?

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
INFP says WTF? :shock:

I thought we were the most confusing...

INFP turns to me quite a bit recently and says "I dont get you"

I think I have consistancy issues when it comes to actions :doh: :shrug:

The only thing I seem to be consistant on is the fact that she can always depend on me when she really needs me.

Poindexter Arachnid

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
You hear that everybody? We don't live up to the newly re-elected President's standards of ISTP'ness.
Though I don't recall him ever having a stutter.

Mathilda Honey

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I know this thread is old. I was reading through some information pertaining to ISTPs and I could not help but point out how similar you guys are the the INFJ. Eerily similar. There is one point in the two types of course where the paths diverge, so to speak.

Ni Ti and Ti Ni loops, perhaps. Everything said in this post I can relate to on a personal level. Just weird. I haven't even finished reading this, either.

I befriend a lot of ISTPs and it trips me out every time. Especially when enneagram and stacking come into play.

We just face the world differently. Imagine hating people having Fe as your darned second function. You feel compelled to help/connect with those you dislike. I'd rather ride a bike or work on my car!!!!

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It's as if someone took the personality of a jock and a nerd and tried to smush them together. The results being I'm never truly a nerd or a jock and those two sides are always in conflict.

If someone could sum up my life experience in two sentences...

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I guess that looking back, I could say I've lead a paradoxical life, but many people are complex and multifaceted, regardless of type.

For instance, I've been told on several occasions that I'm an "old soul" or "wise beyond my years" but I've also been told that I'm immature or an overgrown child. I don't really see this as a paradox though. I can be painfully reserved and quiet, but I can also be the life of the party. Again, I don't see that as a paradox.

I went through high school and life after that as a loner, yet everyone knew me and I was well liked--I don't think I've ever had any real enemies in my life. I was a bad boy (or so some people have labeled me), yet I was and still am polite and respectful to people as long as they don't try to take advantage of me or fuck with me. I break rules, but not for the sake of breaking them, only because I hate following rules which make little sense or seem counterintuitive, counterproductive, or overcomplicated to me. If a rule makes sense and it seems logical, I've no problem following it.

I can be painfully blunt and merciless, yet I can be a softie when I see people haven't been treated fairly--I don't think of this as being moralistic so much as having a serious problem with seeing some people punished and others forgiven for breaking the same rules. I don't have a problem with people paying the price for their actions, but I want to see this apply to everyone. For instance, why do offenders tend to be more severely punished for crack than cocaine? Because cocaine is rich/privileged people drugs and crack is trailer trash/n----r drugs. Who are more likely to write the laws and serve as judges? Enough said. Either show leniency to everyone who breaks that law, be harsh to everyone breaking it, or get rid of that law altogether. This isn't a moral issue, it's an issue of fairness. Or call it whatever you want.

I can read a textbook and my mind might go numb, but I'll spend all day learning a song on the guitar. I hate dull manual labor, but if I'm left to my own devices and in control, I will work myself until I can't stand, as long as I'm allowed to think and not directed by others. [MENTION=12103]Poki[/MENTION], what you said about laying sod reminded me of an experience when I was helping my dad landscape his yard. He needed a ring of bricks laid around a tree. When I was finished, he was amazed that at how level and round it was, considering I'd mostly "eyeballed" it.

My varying social circles/friends all seem to have a different idea of who/what I am. I definitely put on all different kinds of personas depending on who I'm around

this^^

Most people dont get me because they superimpose the "average" man on me. I am not average though, I am different so I tend to confuse people though they usually dont realize they are confused.

Is anyone really average or normal?

I don't think I'm truly "out of the box". I just hate the box).

and this^^

Han solo reminds me of an ESTp, James bond has so many characters it really depends which one you are talking about Daniel Creig is stereotypically an ISTp. Sam fisher is an IXTJ I always thought he was more INTJ.

I get an ISTP vibe with Solo. His last name is Solo, he basically works alone, and his best friend is essentially a giant dog. Lando is the ESTP. James Bond is actually much closer to ISTP if you read any of the Ian Fleming novels. Felix Leiter is the true ESTP in those novels. Movie Bond is portrayed as more ESTP, with the exception of Daniel Craig and Timothy Dalton, who both seem far more ISTP to me--perhaps the ESTP movie hero has gone out of style in recent years in lieu of stereotypically quiet "bad boys" considering that 2 of the last 3 Bonds were more ISTP while the first three Bonds were clearcut ESTPs.

I know this thread is old. I was reading through some information pertaining to ISTPs and I could not help but point out how similar you guys are the the INFJ. Eerily similar. There is one point in the two types of course where the paths diverge, so to speak.

Ni Ti and Ti Ni loops, perhaps. Everything said in this post I can relate to on a personal level. Just weird. I haven't even finished reading this, either.

I befriend a lot of ISTPs and it trips me out every time. Especially when enneagram and stacking come into play.

We just face the world differently. Imagine hating people having Fe as your darned second function. You feel compelled to help/connect with those you dislike. I'd rather ride a bike or work on my car!!!!

My best friend is likely an INFJ. We are very similar at first glance, but anyone who really gets to know us will see how different we actually are. That said, I do see a weird duality between STPs and NFJs. We can talk about a topic or approach an issue and come to the same conclusion via radically different means.

Evil Otter

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
As an ISTP I always feel like I'm at war with myself. It's as if someone took the personality of a jock and a nerd and tried to smush them together. The results being I'm never truly a nerd or a jock and those two sides are always in conflict. Not to mention the other thousand quirks we have makes me think being an ISTP is the hardest personality type to "use".

I have described myself this way multiple times to people. I tell them, "either way you look at it I'm either a nerdy-jock or an athletic-nerd." I've stopped trying to suppress either side though and that seems to help a lot. If I'm with guys that fit more into the jock category then I act like a sports encyclopedia. If I'm hanging with more nerdy types I become the test-driver for their idea and give them useful feedback and suggestions for improvements.

Agree with you both. The chasm between Ti and Se is always there for me too. Sometimes they work well together but most of the time it's like having two separate personalities. The introspective, painfully serious one is determined to resolve (through laborious analysis) all the nagging doubts that I have piled up in every corner of my mind, on every facet of existence. Then the other one comes along and says, fuck that, I'm bored! Let's run amok viking-style! OMG that dog has a puffy tail!

Even then, this still happens ^. Especially with the nerdy types, I have a tendency to try to drag them out of their lairs and get them to be my navigator which just stresses the hell out of them and then I get annoyed with them being such babies. Of course, if the jocks I'm hanging out with show little to no cerebral activity then that gets pretty old, pretty fast too.

I think a lot of ISTPs can be confused for NT types except ENTJ and vice versa which would add to the confusion and make them so tough to read let alone identify whereas in stark contrast ISTJ is a very easy type to predict.

Definitely, ISTP is actually my fourth attempt at figuring this crap out and if I didn't view MBTI as a useful guiding tool towards self-discovery (or view self-discovery as necessary), then knowing my type would have taken the same turn as knowing whether freewill, a god entity, or even an ultimate purpose to my life exists; to which I answer, "I don't give a shit, because it doesn't matter."

Mathilda Honey

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My best friend is likely an INFJ. We are very similar at first glance, but anyone who really gets to know us will see how different we actually are. That said, I do see a weird duality between STPs and NFJs. We can talk about a topic or approach an issue and come to the same conclusion via radically different means.[/QUOTE]

and I secretly envy how much quicker you guys get to that conclusion. I have a connect the dot maze in my head that'll take a while and you, bam! at first glance. I love it. I love you guys. I dated my first ISTP recently and wanted to run for the hills- because it was so nice. I remember saying, "you feel as close as my own skin" and ...yea. So glad you guys are around.

laterlazer

good, hot, fresh, fly ~
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
I came here to moan about how yes ISTPs are confusing and mysterious as hell yet you're all saying you're not. Stop confusing me!

I only know two ISTPs (possibly 3), one being my brother, the other an old friend, and I can't figure any of them out. Maybe it's an unhealthy ISTP thing but the mood changes are so confusing especially with my old friend, I remember some days she would be so energetic and chill and we could joke about whatever, then other times it'd seem like she hated my company and she won't even talk at all. My brother's also really temperamental too, sigh.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I came here to moan about how yes ISTPs are confusing and mysterious as hell yet you're all saying you're not. Stop confusing me!

I only know two ISTPs (possibly 3), one being my brother, the other an old friend, and I can't figure any of them out. Maybe it's an unhealthy ISTP thing but the mood changes are so confusing especially with my old friend, I remember some days she would be so energetic and chill and we could joke about whatever, then other times it'd seem like she hated my company and she won't even talk at all. My brother's also really temperamental too, sigh.

what seems obvious to one person is rarely as obvious to another... (as in "how did you even get to that conclusion?") :shrug:

laterlazer

good, hot, fresh, fly ~
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
I guess I'll remain confused forever :p

Mathilda Honey

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've given some thought to ISTPs after spending some time with a particular ISTP 9.

Keep in mind, I am an sx/sp and become very protective of those I love.

I am peeved that people become attached to this particular type simply for the "intrigue" or "chase" without ever truly desiring a connection or to get to know a person simply to get to know them.

Especially if you are a 9, oh boy.

Actually, that is all I will say on the matter because I am "I'll punch a person" mode and nothing good ever comes from that.

Leave ISTPs alone.

Love,
the weird INFJ.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I know with me I don't fit "typical" when it comes to things. I don't have the standard mindset, mannerisms, emotions, etc. Because of this I am very confusing. I don't know crap about sports nor do I really like watching or talking about it. I would rather do then talk. But my IQ is really high and I will talk about N things, but I take them as a grain of salt and reality rules. I am a nerd/jock, I am a computer programmer that loves physical labor. Programmer at work, physical worker at home. I don't fit very many typical molds. I love working out, pushing myself physically and mentally. I have to know why, not just what. I have to do and not just talk.