• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] ISTP + INTP dynamics

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'd like to hear what ISTPs think of INTPs - pros, cons, experiences, etc.

I think ISTPs combine smart and sexy better than any other type, but they seem to get annoyed with the things I find intellectually stimulating - e.g. Ne-fueled ramblings and theories. :cry:

Ism

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
I'm not close with this one ISTP girl I know, but she's notorious for giving people judgmental looks whenever they're acting weird, lolz. I like her, though. Maybe if circumstances were there we could have been better friends, but I'm not sure.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm not close with this one ISTP girl I know, but she's notorious for giving people judgmental looks whenever they're acting weird, lolz.
That happened with me when I mentioned to an ISTP girl that I declined a trip to Europe (Portugal, France and England) with my family because I needed a vacation to rest, not to get tired. That somehow seemed to be an ungraspable idea for her.

Ism

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
That happened with me when I mentioned to an ISTP girl that I declined a trip to Europe (Portugal, France and England) with my family because I needed a vacation to rest, not to get tired. That somehow seemed to be an ungraspable idea for her.

In her defense, I'd think you were pretty crazy, too. :p

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
R

Riva

Rasofy try talking about history (strategic warfare etc) and also politics with ISTPs. I have a feeling they'll like those. Use your (Ne) to take them back in time, give them excitement.

In her defense, I'd think you were pretty crazy, too. :p

+1

Haha, I have this relation of mine (ENFP gent) who thinks vacations should be for rest. But he does go on trips a lot. On on trips that require a lot of travel but a lot of company, drinking, singing etc. After all that he sleeps a lot. He is a bit obese though. That probably is why he thinks the same way you do, though you probably do for different reasons..

My family (ESTJ dad, ESFP mom, ESTP sis, I) loves and do sight seeing trips a lot. So not taking a chance to go to those wonderful countries ..................... wait a sec this isn't about trips.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think a lot of philosophers that are always typed INTP might really be ISTP because after all ISTPs are also Ti dominant with tertiary Ni so they could be just as equally intellectually stimulated as INTPs if they have learned to develop and appreciate their intuitive side as well as their naturally superior logic.

Ism

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
I find that it's easy to relate to people when you find something in common; specifically, things you both would like to complain about.

Everyone likes to complain, and everyone likes justification for their complaints! :D

Use this tactic, and they will maintain a neutral to positive opinion about your character!

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I dont get INTPs much. To me its like 2 seperate worlds, we both have very different thought processes even though we are both Ti.

Eugene Watson VIII

Senor Membrae
MBTI Type
xxxP
Enneagram
?
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think a lot of philosophers that are always typed INTP might really be ISTP because after all ISTPs are also Ti dominant with tertiary Ni so they could be just as equally intellectually stimulated as INTPs if they have learned to develop and appreciate their intuitive side as well as their naturally superior logic.

Yeah but not as much normally, it is a tertiary function, so.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yeah but not as much normally, it is a tertiary function, so.

I don't know how many times I have to say this. Just because someone is a sensor does not mean they are not interested or incapable of philosophy.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I work with an INTP and we are very different. Honestly, our differences are apparent in how we make decisions. I make them fairly quickly provided I feel I have enough info to do so - and that's not so difficult to gather.
He just can't. If something happens he needs to be correct. Even if it's technically correct but has no value in solving the actual problem. He just doesn't move fast enough for me.

Otherwise, he's a witty guy. But yeah, we are different.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'd like to hear what ISTPs think of INTPs - pros, cons, experiences, etc.

I think ISTPs combine smart and sexy better than any other type, but they seem to get annoyed with the things I find intellectually stimulating - e.g. Ne-fueled ramblings and theories. :cry:

My experience too. They cut to the chase much faster than I do, and seem annoyed with my rambling.

spirilis

Senior Membrane
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I work with an INTP and we are very different. Honestly, our differences are apparent in how we make decisions. I make them fairly quickly provided I feel I have enough info to do so - and that's not so difficult to gather.
He just can't. If something happens he needs to be correct. Even if it's technically correct but has no value in solving the actual problem. He just doesn't move fast enough for me.

Otherwise, he's a witty guy. But yeah, we are different.

Sounds a lot like me and my boss (almost certainly ISTP), with me being the INTP in that exchange :D
I think he even used that as a criticism mark for my review this year, just because he had to put *something* down. I tend to go deep-diving into problems to find the technical roots (getting the big picture from below) rather than look at the simple big picture from above like he usually does. (Then again, he argues that's also an age/maturity thing, as he's seen it play out with other employees in the past)

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=585]spirilis[/MENTION] this INTP is my boss. Lol. However, I'm usually the one he comes to for help and sometimes I'm the one directing him what to do. (He has the title; I have the experience).

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I like ISTPs more because they know how to have fun and live the life of a radical rebel whereas INTPs know how to think their brains out which of course is very boring for the person doing the thinking though I guess the explosion spectacle could be fun for observors!

edit - I resurrected this thread in responce to something I said about stalking in the Random Thought Thread!

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
From my personal experience INTPs are a bit strange. We dont mesh together mentally very well, we arent at each others throat and fighting/argueing though. I blame the flip of N/S in our preferences, it equates to a lack of understanding since it a direct flip with other functions in the same positions. I dont notice the S/N difference as much with any other type as I do with an INTP. Its like we have the same judgements, but we see things "completely" differently and have focus on different parts of the equation.

Aside from that I think they are extremely competent, make errors just like everyone else, like to play alot and have fun, and are simply an Ne/Si version of myself.

I think the Ne/Si gets along better mentally with an ISTJ due to the Ne/Si being closer. Its in the same manner as I can easily work with and understand an INTJ better then I can an ISTJ. I dont notice as much of a difference in understanding when it comes to a F type and the N/S split. I guess its the fact that our judgement is different so we arent really trying to reach the same goal which makes the N/S not as large a difference since there are other diffences that come into play as well.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The ones I've known IRL tend to be far too awkward for us to get along well. I'm a little bit awkward already so I tend to get along best with people who can smooth that out rather than making it worse. I get along great with ENTPs though.

Small sample size though, etc. I'm sure there are many INTPs out there with great social skills, including many people here who I'd love to meet someday. :)