Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

Default Why is ISTP like NT?

Of all of the sensing types ISTP seems to be by far the weirdest. First of all look at that type's functions TiSeNiFe. Hold up, Ti and Ni? Those are the 2 most insane functions in all of MBTI! Anyone with both of those combined will have a setup for total madness. Surely then ISTP could far more easily be confused for an N type than of the other Ss. Also ISTP is the 2nd most logical of all the types behind only INTP! ISTPs as well seem to be very poor socially like lots of INT types are while all of the other SPs are super cool popular people. I could easily be an ISTP too! Lots of people say I am in a TiNi loop! ISTPs are always studying and observing the world, endlessly thinking, observing, gethering information and theorizing about the real nature of the Universe.

Permabanned

ISTPs are often misunderstood. Also how are INTPs any more logical than ISTPS?

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I think ISTPs are raw Ti without being bogged down by resonances of what might be like INTPs -- they see what is and state it, as-is. INTPs tend to conjecture more.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Permabanned

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I think ISTPs are raw Ti without being bogged down by resonances of what might be like INTPs -- they see what is and state it, as-is. INTPs tend to conjecture more.
    This is interesting what do you mean by conjecture more?

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ISTp

That about sums up the major differences as I see it.

But to answer the OP, Ti may appear as a pretty NT thing all by itself. I would venture a guess and say that Se may be hard for some ISTPs to develop, whether it be a dependence on Ti, their environment, the people around them, their career/major, etc. ESTPs may sometimes appear a little NT too, but dom Se makes it less so.
    I have an inner monologue that sounds strikingly similar to something off Animal Planet.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5

ISTP's are very raw and rough around the edges.
    Our Ti-Ni loops can be dangerous to our mental health if the loop is carried too far. The loop is the only time an ISTP can get "caught up" in anything, and where our similarities to NT's really seem shine through.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by jixmixfix View Post
    This is interesting what do you mean by conjecture more?
    Well, it's pretty simple, I think -- we end up speculating about various places where the rabbit hole might go based on the principles we recognize, rather than focusing on where the rabbit hole in front of us is actually going or where it went the last time we followed it.

I think you'll see this in threads, where ISTPs tend to be much more succinct in their posting style and describe exactly what happened and draw conclusions from that, whereas the INTPs sometimes get caught up in what something might have meant. The logic rules themselves (Ti) can be pretty similar otherwise.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Banned
    MBTI
    ISTP

I have always maintained that ISTPs were the most "intuitive" of the sensors. The reason?
    As stated, Ti and Ni. In sequence, those two functions scream "N."

And yes. That loop is brutal and will kill us.
    We need Se. We need stimulation or we go bonkers.

Permabanned

Well, it's pretty simple, I think -- we end up speculating about various places where the rabbit hole might go based on the principles we recognize, rather than focusing on where the rabbit hole in front of us is actually going or where it went the last time we followed it.

I think you'll see this in threads, where ISTPs tend to be much more succinct in their posting style and describe exactly what happened and draw conclusions from that, whereas the INTPs sometimes get caught up in what something might have meant. The logic rules themselves (Ti) can be pretty similar otherwise.
    Hm I wonder what my posting style is like I've always been borderline "N" in tests.

me: ive been observing the premise of everything you say
    and think i came up with a good comparison
    Sent at 11:10 AM on Tuesday
    me: when you drive a car, the car moves, that is the conclusion, a moving car.
    Sent at 11:13 AM on Tuesday
    me: if someone asked you to identify the premise of the moving car, you innately uses your senses to determine the cause of a moving car.
    Sent at 11:14 AM on Tuesday
    me: Se: the car moves because i put my foot on the gas pedal.
    Sent at 11:16 AM on Tuesday
    me: instinctual Ne answer: the car moves because the engine exerted a torque on the wheel and frictional force between the tires and the road over came the inertia of the car.
    Stephanie: yeah I'd say that's about accurate
    you should post that in the ISTP vs INTP thread.
    me: now, we're both right
    Sent at 11:19 AM on Tuesday
    me: but given specific purpose, one answer can be more right than the other and vice-versa
    Sent at 11:20 AM on Tuesday
    me: answers have a purpose
    if a bear is chasing you and you need to know something... ask the istp
    if you are sitting around, bored, and feel like doing something... ask the intp
    Stephanie: "more appropriate" may be a better phrase than "more right"
    one cannot be more right if both answers are right
    me: same difference
    Stephanie: nnnnnnnnnnno!
    :P
    but yes, I agree
    with the ISTP/INTP difference
    it's good.
    post either here: http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...like-intp.html
    or here: http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...p-like-nt.html
    go!
    :P