User Tag List

First 4567 Last

Results 51 to 60 of 69

  1. #51
    Carerra Lu IZthe411's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    2,591

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    How silly.

    If you are sitting around, bored, and feel like doing something, and ask an INTP, I bet his answer nine times out of ten (after hemming and hawing) will be, "Uh... gee, I dunno... what do YOU want to do?"

    .
    YES

    My INTP friend is like this- it drives me NUTS.
    And whatever you suggest- it's like "Okay".
    My hope is my initial suggestion will start some Ne based pings of ideas or suggestions. But it stops there.

    I hate when I'm the most extraverted introvert in a group.

  2. #52
    insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    9,489

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Il Morto Che Parla View Post
    Socks aren't sticky (on the outside anyway)...but your head could be!

    Anyway:so you're an ISTP with bad Se? How does that work?

    Or do you just mean you did it occasionally on a "bad day"...?

    Because my point is, the NT lack of sync with their physical environment is very notable. Not that no ISTP could EVER have an Sensing fail. Obviously I was exaggerating for effect.
    I'm FAR more absent-minded than the average population, and get grief about it constantly from both natural consequences and friends who don't understand how it's possible for things to drop out of my mind so easily. It's part of why I thought I was INTP for a few years, but I definitely am not. I'm also pretty damn uncoordinated despite playing sports. Some of my N friends are much more talented than I am.

    Se is only an aux function for an ISTP. I'm far more likely to be lost in my head (Ti) or distracted by some cool shiny thing (Se) than I am to be looking at my boring fly or dirty dishes or keys.

    And of course, preference =/= ability, and MBTI is all about preferences. While there are often correlation, I think it can be misleading to suggest that there are huge differences in ability.
    -end of thread-

  3. #53
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    4,338

    Default

    Well if you look at mbti theory both ti and ni are pretty heavy introverted functions this could give some light as to why istps appear NT. Istps are intereted in "feel good" sensations and expeirences. They want to aquire knowledge through expeirences. They are interested in aethetics and sensations and want to be apart and experiance the sensation. Intps arent so interested in new sensations they are happy leaving that part out of their lives. They would much rather gather knowledge through passive means.

  4. #54
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    MBTI
    xxTP
    Posts
    1,260

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    I'm FAR more absent-minded than the average population, and get grief about it constantly from both natural consequences and friends who don't understand how it's possible for things to drop out of my mind so easily. It's part of why I thought I was INTP for a few years, but I definitely am not. I'm also pretty damn uncoordinated despite playing sports. Some of my N friends are much more talented than I am.

    Se is only an aux function for an ISTP. I'm far more likely to be lost in my head (Ti) or distracted by some cool shiny thing (Se) than I am to be looking at my boring fly or dirty dishes or keys.

    And of course, preference =/= ability, and MBTI is all about preferences. While there are often correlation, I think it can be misleading to suggest that there are huge differences in ability.
    My dad and ex GF of 3 years, are ISFP. They never miss a detail or go out of the house looking less than 100% in-line with their intended look. They notice an aesthetic malfunction instantly. They re not ESFP, they are not always chasing physical experiences, but they can effortlessly sync with the physical environment, and have no co-ordination problems (he is good at sports, here music).

    We all have our own understanding of MBTI. I think it is absolutely about ability. I never chose Ti or Ne. They are not my preference. My life would be easier if I had other abiltiies. But I am naturally good at, what I am naturally good at. And I am less good at other functions even if I try to be good at them, the best I can reach is "average"

    Back to my original point: I think N vs S should be judged on presence of S, not N, because N is subjective while S is objective. If I give an idea that x person hates, they will say "His N is way-off, he's an S". But so what? N just means I think in an abstract way, not that I reach the "correct" understanding. An N can be absolute idiot. It juat means they are primarily abstract.

    S on the other hand is objective. either you can recall the correct facts (Si), or not. Either you can perform physical tasks skillfully (Se), or you can't. It's much harder to get confused if typing on that basis.

    IMHO

  5. #55
    insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    9,489

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Il Morto Che Parla View Post
    My dad and ex GF of 3 years, are ISFP. They never miss a detail or go out of the house looking less than 100% in-line with their intended look. They notice an aesthetic malfunction instantly. They re not ESFP, they are not always chasing physical experiences, but they can effortlessly sync with the physical environment, and have no co-ordination problems (he is good at sports, here music).

    We all have our own understanding of MBTI. I think it is absolutely about ability. I never chose Ti or Ne. They are not my preference. My life would be easier if I had other abiltiies. But I am naturally good at, what I am naturally good at. And I am less good at other functions even if I try to be good at them, the best I can reach is "average"

    Back to my original point: I think N vs S should be judged on presence of S, not N, because N is subjective while S is objective. If I give an idea that x person hates, they will say "His N is way-off, he's an S". But so what? N just means I think in an abstract way, not that I reach the "correct" understanding. An N can be absolute idiot. It juat means they are primarily abstract.

    S on the other hand is objective. either you can recall the correct facts (Si), or not. Either you can perform physical tasks skillfully (Se), or you can't. It's much harder to get confused if typing on that basis.

    IMHO
    Oh, ok, if you're defining MBTI as ability than of course you will be typing people according to their ability and will see that e.g. ISFPs are good at Se, by your own criteria.

    I say that MBTI is preference because that is generally what the questions are about - do you like to do this, do you tend to see the world like that, etc. Functions are the same - do you take in information mostly through Ne or Se, do you process mostly by Ti or Fi, etc. Not really any mention of ability in the theory as far as I know - that bit seems to be added on afterwards.

    While I enjoy Se-based things and believe that I take in information in a more Se- than Ne-based way, by any objective scale I'm better at Ne than Se. I'm great at recognizing patterns and abstract thinking, as long as it isn't too distant from reality. I'm clumsy, absent-minded, and uncoordinated. I firmly believe that I'm not INTP, though. INTJ describes me better, but not quite as well as ISTP. I'm just more of a Ti-focused one than a Se-focused one.

    If you want more examples, my ISFP ex-bf, while very coordinated, could be spacey about some things and definitely did not have a polished or planned appearance - I don't think he cared at all. My INFP mom is very absent-minded (it runs in our family) and disorganized, but is very talented at realistic art and music, what you might call Se traits. My INTJ ex got worse grades in shared university science classes than I did despite studying harder. All three types are based on them taking the test and agreeing with online descriptions, so although they might not be perfectly accurate (I think they are all correct typings), they are probably close.

    IMO both the theory and my own experience indicate the MBTI is best described as a system of preferences, so that is what I call it.
    -end of thread-

  6. #56
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    MBTI
    xxTP
    Posts
    1,260

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    IMO both the theory and my own experience indicate the MBTI is best described as a system of preferences, so that is what I call it.
    They also talk a hell of a lot about "developed" and "underdeveloped" functions. Any standard MBTI text says that your primary is your most developed, aux is your second most developed, inferior is your least developed, etc. what does that mean in every day language other than "ability".

    Also, I don't "prefer" Ti or Ne. I think they mean "preference" is in "what you subconsciously do" rather than conscious "choice". I would maybe prefer to be another type. But I couldn't carry it off.

  7. #57
    insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    9,489

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Il Morto Che Parla View Post
    They also talk a hell of a lot about "developed" and "underdeveloped" functions. Any standard MBTI text says that your primary is your most developed, aux is your second most developed, inferior is your least developed, etc. what does that mean in every day language other than "ability".
    I think it is more along the lines of which one you're most familiar with using.
    Also, I don't "prefer" Ti or Ne. I think they mean "preference" is in "what you subconsciously do" rather than conscious "choice". I would maybe prefer to be another type. But I couldn't carry it off.
    Agreed, another word would be better. Perhaps "thinking styles".
    -end of thread-

  8. #58
    Senior Member The Great One's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    6w7
    Posts
    3,461

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RaptorWizard View Post
    Of all of the sensing types ISTP seems to be by far the weirdest. First of all look at that type's functions TiSeNiFe. Hold up, Ti and Ni? Those are the 2 most insane functions in all of MBTI! Anyone with both of those combined will have a setup for total madness. Surely then ISTP could far more easily be confused for an N type than of the other Ss. Also ISTP is the 2nd most logical of all the types behind only INTP! ISTPs as well seem to be very poor socially like lots of INT types are while all of the other SPs are super cool popular people. I could easily be an ISTP too! Lots of people say I am in a TiNi loop! ISTPs are always studying and observing the world, endlessly thinking, observing, gethering information and theorizing about the real nature of the Universe.
    The reason that I don't think that you're an ISTP is that your theories are way to whack and out of touch with reality. Most ISTP's can look pretty NTish, but they usually have a very good connection with reality: you on the other hand...don't.

  9. #59
    i love skylights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne
    Posts
    7,835

    Default

    I have an ISTP brother who mom calls INTP dad's "Mini Me".

    To answer the thread title question, I think that ISTP is like NT because of the T "purity" of Ti. In terms of functions, I see the introverted process as more "pure" because it is generally more concerned with internal coherency - Fi and Ti both being idealistic in that they seek to provide an all-encompassing rational framework, rather that Fe and Te's externally-adaptive "ad hoc" reasoning. This tendency makes the introverted processes inherently more abstract, which is the realm of N - ISFP therefore being the most "NF" of the SPs and ISTP being the most "NT" of the SPs. In the specific case of ISTP, since Ti doms prefer coherent logic to all other thought processes, ISTPs, just like NTs, can be more interested in the precise reasoning involved in a situation than in its realistic parameters. That, in combination with tertiary Ni, makes ISTP lean close to the usual NT worldview of abstract logical assessment.

    In reality I think this comes across as ISTPs being logical, interested in breaking things down and figuring them out, interested in improving things, good problem solvers, experimental, independent, innovative, self-assured, competent, and thick-skinned - all pretty NT traits. I think the biggest difference I see between my INTP dad and ISTP brother is that dad's interest in the theoretical is steady and native, backed up by excellent factual recall, while my brother has a knack for quick abstract understanding but prefers to work with the tangible. They're both really into science and music.

  10. #60
    Senior Member Lightyear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    903

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RaptorWizard View Post
    Of all of the sensing types ISTP seems to be by far the weirdest. First of all look at that type's functions TiSeNiFe. Hold up, Ti and Ni? Those are the 2 most insane functions in all of MBTI! Anyone with both of those combined will have a setup for total madness. Surely then ISTP could far more easily be confused for an N type than of the other Ss. Also ISTP is the 2nd most logical of all the types behind only INTP! ISTPs as well seem to be very poor socially like lots of INT types are while all of the other SPs are super cool popular people. I could easily be an ISTP too! Lots of people say I am in a TiNi loop! ISTPs are always studying and observing the world, endlessly thinking, observing, gethering information and theorizing about the real nature of the Universe.
    Kinda gatecrashing this thread but am just wondering out of interest, how would the Ni_Ti play out in an INFJ? Why do you think this function combination is a set-up for madness? What does it do? Do we need the other functions to balance it out? (in the case of an INFJ Fe and Se)

Similar Threads

  1. [ISTP] Why do some ISTPs like INFPs?
    By nonchalant in forum The SP Arthouse (ESFP, ISFP, ESTP, ISTP)
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 10-07-2016, 01:28 PM
  2. Why is it devided, NF, NT, SP, SJ?
    By magil in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 02-08-2010, 09:28 PM
  3. Why is ‘abstract idea’ like Wikipedia?
    By coberst in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 07-11-2009, 12:44 PM
  4. Why is Philosophy like General Motors?
    By coberst in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-28-2009, 11:00 AM
  5. Why is ideology like a prism?
    By coberst in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 04-07-2009, 07:50 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO